CALLING ALL TT OWNERS - BRAKES

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
TTtom
First Name: Thomas
Last Name: Beckett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 TT Truck
MTFCA Number: 50171

CALLING ALL TT OWNERS - BRAKES

Post by TTtom » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:59 pm

I have been pursuing Rocky Mountain brakes for my TT since I bought it. In speaking to Bud Williams of Rocky Mountain Brake Mfg. Co., he advised me that they stopped producing RMB for TTs due to lack of demand. However, he still has the molds and is willing to produce some sets of TT RMBs if we can get at least 5 buyers to commit to purchasing a set. I am one for sure and need to hear from at least 4 more definite buyers.
Please get back to me ASAP at 925 212 3900 or
tabeckett@sbcglobal.net. If you respond in the forum with a contact, I'll reach out to you.
Bud Williams gave me an OK to put this in the forum and can be reached at 951 440 1451.
Tom

mtntee20
First Name: Terry & Sharon
Last Name: Miller
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1920 Center Door, 1920 TTWood cab Farm Truck with cable dump grain bed, 1920 TT C-Cab with express bed, 1927 Wood body Dairy Delivery truck
MTFCA Number: 32583
Board Member Since: 2017

Re: CALLING ALL TT OWNERS - BRAKES

Post by mtntee20 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:10 pm

Tom,

My memory sure isn't what it should be. Has Bud addressed the poor braking when moving backward? I'm sure that will be a big issue for some people, especially those that live in the mountainous areas.

Good Luck,
Terry

Topic author
TTtom

Post by TTtom » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:11 pm

I'll sure ask, did not know of issue. Tx.

Tom Hicks
Last Name: Hicks
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '24 TT, '26 TT, '24 Speedster, '26 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 32518

Post by Tom Hicks » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:30 pm

I wouldn't worry about the Rocky's problem with holding the TT when going backward.

Shouldn't Your transmission brake or parking brake should be sufficient when going backwards?

If you keep your parking brake in good shape and properly adjusted, and if you are aware that the Rocky's might not hold if you are stopped going up hill, you can't you use your parking brake to hold the TT?

You need Rocky's or accessory brakes when going forward, they provide better braking than the transmission brake.

And if you have a Ruckstell or auxiliary transmission, you definitely need accessory brakes in a neutral situation.

But a TT backs slowly, either the transmission brake or parking brake should stop it quickly, I don't think I would worry about Rocky's in that respect.

I hope you find enough people to get a batch of Rocky's made for TT's.
Technology, the solution to all of our problems... and the cause of most of them.

HPetrino
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Petrino
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1918 TT

Post by HPetrino » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:40 pm

I don't know about the Rocky Mountain brakes, but you can NOT rely on the transmission brake with some TT aux. brakes. In fact, you can't even use it. I have Bennett brakes on my TT. It has a "Bennett" brake pedal which does not have the cam needed to operate the transmission brake. Clearly, the designers intended that the stock service brake would not be used with the Bennetts.

Is this the case with Rockies?

Raoul von S.
First Name: Raoul
Last Name: Vaughn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 truck

Post by Raoul von S. » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:45 pm

The braking issue comes up with the aux. trans. gets stuck out of gear on a bad shift,
thereby leaving the truck unable to engage the standard brakes to the wheels. Aux.
brakes fill that void, however if the aux. brake system does not bid well in reverse, this
can present a problem, should the truck roll away in reverse.
"Working today, for a seamless tomorrow"

kmatt
First Name: Kevin
Last Name: Matthiesen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe, 1921 speedster, 1925 TT, 1916 Exp
MTFCA Number: 11598

Post by kmatt » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:35 am

I sent you a message with my contact info. I may be interested in buying a Rocky Mt brake set for my 1925 TT. Do you know the cost ?

Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16310

Post by Original Smith » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:59 am

I have been using real Rocky Mountain Brakes for years in all of my cars, but not Buds. I've had little problem finding original parts made in the old days. Perhaps you could go that route?

HPetrino
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Petrino
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1918 TT

Post by HPetrino » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:13 am

Larry makes a good point. When considering the use of "original" Rockies vs. "repro" Rockies I suggest you do a little research into the characteristics of each. It is my recollection (I could be wrong) that the repros are not made the same as the originals. The originals, as I recall, are designed with the band anchored in the center while the repros have the band anchored at the end. This difference gives the repros better braking when moving forward but not too good when backing. The original design offers equal braking when moving forward or backward.

Hopefully, someone with more knowledge that me will chime in here and either verify my foggy recollection or prove me wrong.

Topic author
TTtom

Post by TTtom » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:16 pm

Not sure where "original" RMB can be found. Bud's are sold direct per ad in Vintage Ford and are also available from Langs, except for TT. I like the better stopping forward comment and the use of the hand brake if needed in reverse. Thanks!

Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16310

Post by Original Smith » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:52 am

To find original parts, whether it be Rockies or anything else, you have to be aggressive and not let up on your search. You also have to research what you are doing, so you will know what you are looking for to begin with. As far as TT's go, you stand a better chance of finding the parts you need. An example would be Ruckstells. A TT Ruckstell usually sells for less than half of what a car one does, and who knows, it may even have Rocky Mountain brakes on it!

kelly mt
First Name: Pat
Last Name: Kelly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 23 Speedster, 25 TT, 26 Roadster, 27 Tudor

Post by kelly mt » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:17 pm

I bought a used original set for my TT from Dave Husen last fall. He had another set or two. He's on the forum classifieds.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic