Repairing 21" Split Rims That Use A Lock Screw

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
ModelTWoods
First Name: Terry
Last Name: Woods
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Model T coupe, 1926 4 door sedan
MTFCI Number: 20180

Repairing 21" Split Rims That Use A Lock Screw

Post by ModelTWoods » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:05 pm

If anyone has 21" split rims, the late type that use a round headed screw to lock the rim, (not the earlier latch type), that have had the threaded hole for the lock screw enlarged and modified by a previous owner, I have the solution. I was talking to Hank Lee and he mentioned that it wasn't uncommon to find a 21" split rim whose threaded hole for the lock screw, had been stripped out; then re-threaded for a larger size screw. Sure enough, when I went to mount new tires, two of my five rims had this condition and wouldn't accept the new lock screws that I got for Lang's. I asked Hank if JB Weld or something similar would work. Hank said he would make some repair nuts to weld in, but I knew that was a lot to ask for two nuts.

I had bought from McMaster-Carr Supply previously had knew they had almost any hardware item. Sure enough, they have a steel narrow base, flat, thin (9/64"-.140 thick) 5/16-24 weld in repair nut that can be welded or brazed inside the rim to allow you to use the original lock nut. The base being 9/64" thin, even if butt welded and not recessed to the same thickness as your rim, will not cause a problem with your rubber tube IF you are using a 'boot' between your tube and rim, as is highly recommended, anyway. Mcmaster-Carr's order number for these is 94579A550 and cost $8.37 for a bag of 25 ! I will receive my order next Monday, 03/30. If you have 21" rims that need lock screw repair, and don't want to order 25 from McMaster-Carr, I will be selling off the extras that I'll have at my cost (.34/each) plus postage to you. Private message me or call eight three two six five nine five eight eight one.
Hank suggested that i post this as others may have the same problem with their rims.

Sarikatime
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Seress
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Towncar, 1915 Touring
MTFCA Number: 27707

Re: Repairing 21" Split Rims That Use A Lock Screw

Post by Sarikatime » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:24 pm

Terry, I ran into the same problem but three out of five had broken bolts in the treads that wouldn’t budge for the life of me. I took it to my welder and he knocked out the original pieces and welded in those nuts that you just ordered. The nut protrudes just right to hold the split rim tab and no more problem. Thanks for posting the solution, since I just went through it but did not share my good fortune or solution. Shame on me. Just today I am painting the rims and installing the new tires over the weekend. Frank

Jim_PTC_GA
First Name: James
Last Name: Fisher
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924, 1925-ish
MTFCA Number: 31822
Board Member Since: 2016

Re: Repairing 21" Split Rims That Use A Lock Screw

Post by Jim_PTC_GA » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:05 pm

I ran into the problem too. Bought some of these things from McMaster Carr but can't remember the part number. I think they we called press nuts or something like that. I ground out the stripped one and welded in the new one.
Attachments
2018_1031_07550700_copy_819x614.jpg
2018_1031_07200400_copy_819x614.jpg
Just give me time to Rust and I'll be good as new. :) Wabi-Sabi

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic