New Gas Tank

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
keen25
First Name: Eric
Last Name: Keenan
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 coupe, 1925 TT, 1926 coupe, 1925 Tudor, 1925 pickup, 1926 fordor

New Gas Tank

Post by keen25 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:58 am

I just got the very limited hard to get reproduction oval gas tank for my 25 TT from Macs / Ecklers - Good news right? No came with a dent in the joint area. What a deflating and infuriating experience. Now I got to ship it back. I wish they would have packaged it better.
Attachments
IMG_1213.JPG

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Re: New Gas Tank

Post by John kuehn » Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:54 pm

Who was the shipper? Make sure you document everything and tale a picture of the packaging. Some shippers just throw the packages around and it’s not always the vendors fault when there is damages. Been there before.

Altair
First Name: David
Last Name: Menzies
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring and 1915 Touring both Canadian models
MTFCA Number: 27825
Board Member Since: 2012

Post by Altair » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:33 pm

I experienced the same thing and the vendor claimed it was OK when it left the store therefore the fault is between here and your door, try to find out who is the culprit is it will be classic royal runaround. I would suggest just keep it and order another one, it will save months of frustration. I ordered $600 worth of body parts and all that arrived was a crushed up cardboard container and the vendor and the shipper both denied any responsibility and I got promised a replacement for nearly 5 years and that was about 10 years ago so far still no joy.

John kuehn

Post by John kuehn » Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:18 pm

In my situation I documented the packaging, the item, and the information on the box that has the type of cardboard and strength type. I took pictures and sent them to the shipper which was UPS. I received replacement costs a little later.
My situation turned out that UPS was at fault.
Since that’s a new tank call the vendor and tell them what happened. You may already have.

If it turns out to be a runaround the best out come could be to straighten the bent seam, solder and repaint it. Now would be the time to fix it and it be done with it. Sometimes you have to do what you have to do.
It could be a long time before you can get another tank or if they will help you on it at all.

But I would definitely contact the shipper.

tdump
First Name: Mack
Last Name: Cole
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: TT. T express pickup,speedster project.
MTFCA Number: 28146

Post by tdump » Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:46 pm

I would spray some soap suds on it and give the tank a little puff of air with something in the bottom output and a rag around the air nozzle on top. UNplug the compressor and let it run down to a lower pressure like 35 psi so it wont hurt anything.If it don't leak your best bet would probably be live with the ding annoying as it is.
If you can't help em, don't hinder em'

dllr28bl
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Woolf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 Touring

Post by dllr28bl » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:01 pm

I recently had a new brass radiator from Brassworks damaged when it was delivered. I knew it happened when it was delivered because I watched the UPS employee lift it over our fence gate and drop it. The noticeable damage was the brass trim on the bottom left side was dented. I was also concerned that there could be other damage as well. I called Brassworks and then filed a claim with UPS. UPS picked it up a couple of days later at which time the employee who delivered it apologized and said it accidentally slipped out of his hands. Brassworks was great to work with and they had it repaired and back to me 3 - 4 weeks later. After I received it, there was no indication that it had ever been damaged.

Since the radiator was insured, I was not out any money because Brassworks took care it, even though it was not their fault. I don’t know if your gas tank was insured, but if it was, you should be able to have it repaired / replaced or recover damages. Last I spoke with Brassworks, they were still trying to recover their costs from UPS.

Dan

Topic author
keen25
First Name: Eric
Last Name: Keenan
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 coupe, 1925 TT, 1926 coupe, 1925 Tudor, 1925 pickup, 1926 fordor

Post by keen25 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:16 pm

I called Macs /Ecklers and have gotten a return slip to send it back. It is just so aggravating. FedEx was the shipper.

baltrusch
First Name: Kurt
Last Name: Baltrusch
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 speedster, 1918 Touring, 1922 Sedan

Post by baltrusch » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:22 pm

Before I sent it back I would assure myself that they had a replacement to send to you. As I understand it, there is only one shop making these and all tanks have been hard to come by and there was a waiting list. The advantage of some of the other T parts dealers is that the owner himself will talk to you. When you have a problem, it is great to be able to talk direct with the person in charge and I have found that they will bend over backward to help, including the possibility of immediately shipping a replacement.

John kuehn

Post by John kuehn » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:38 pm

Ask them if they have another identical tank in stock. If not send them a picture of the damage and what it would cost fix it and pay you the cost in repairs. Get their money first of course. If they want it back there is a reason for them to want it. If your a good haggler and can keep from losing your cool you might be able to make a deal with them with your satisfaction.
Been there and done that before. Good luck.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic