HELP--- WHAT ON EARTH

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
RichardG
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Grzegorowicz
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1921 T pickup

HELP--- WHAT ON EARTH

Post by RichardG » Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:32 pm

CAN ANY ONE IN T LAND TELL ME, WHAT TYPE BANDS ARE THESE, THEY LOOK TO BE BONDED TO THE STEEL, THERE ARE RIVET HOLES IN THE STEEL BAND BUT NO RIVETS, THEY ARE IN NICE CONDITION, I WANT TO USE THEM IN MY SAW RIG ENGINE, [DON'T FORGET] TO PULL THE PLUG IN THE FAN PULLEY AND GIVE IT A DROP OR TWO BEFORE THAT FIRST RUN..THANK YOU-- STAY WELL.
Attachments
https://www.mtfca.com/phpBB3/download/file.php?mode=view&id=49261
https://www.mtfca.com/phpBB3/download/file.php?mode=view&id=49261
https://www.mtfca.com/phpBB3/download/file.php?mode=view&id=49260
https://www.mtfca.com/phpBB3/download/file.php?mode=view&id=49260

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Re: HELP--- WHAT ON EARTH

Post by John kuehn » Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:26 pm

I was a maintenance mechanic for many years and among other things I worked on was high rpm water pumps. The band looks to me exactly like the square asbestos pump packing that those kind of pumps use. It looks like the 4 square packing strips(if that’s what it is) is bonded or attached to the steel band. Looks like it’s either 1/4 or 5/16” square packing.

If it’s not pump packing it’s made of the same asbestos type material.

Erik Barrett
First Name: Erik
Last Name: Barrett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 speedster 1924 touring 1925 dump truck

Post by Erik Barrett » Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:29 pm

I have run into these. There were a bunch made years ago. I think it’s Caterpillar brake lining. Hard on drums and prone to chatter.

ThreePedalTapDancer
First Name: Ed
Last Name: Martin
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1909 Touring

Post by ThreePedalTapDancer » Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:33 pm

There was several brands of bonded linings sold in the 70s, some made from automatic transmission linings. Some wore well, others were really hard on the drums. I think there was some earlier ones made too, called Ferrodo or something like that.

Les Schubert
First Name: Les
Last Name: Schubert
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 27 roadster 13 touring

Post by Les Schubert » Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:35 pm

If you don’t want to run them, I will certainly take them off your hands!!

Topic author
RichardG
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Grzegorowicz
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1921 T pickup

Post by RichardG » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:41 pm

THANK YOU , THE PART ABOUT BEING TOUGH ON DRUMS I AGREE, BUT HAVING DRIVEN TRUCK OVER THIRTY YEARS I KNOW WHAT DAMAGE THE LEFT FOOT CAN DO IF NOT USED PROPER ON THE CLUTCH PEDAL, BEING THEY WILL BE USED IN THE POWER UNIT THEY WONT BE A PROBLEM, I THOUGHT THE LINING LOOKED A BIT LIKE AUTOMATIC CLUTCH, BUT ITS MUCH THICKER. I LIKE THE CAT CLUTCH IDEA, THAT WOULD MEAN ITS TOUGH..SOMETHING IVE NEVER SEEN BEFORE I'M HAPPY WITH ALL YOUR ANSWERS ,

halftracknut
First Name: randy
Last Name: lee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 pickup

Post by halftracknut » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:58 pm

I don't want to hijack your thread but I have run asbestos brake lining on tranny bands without any problem ...stuff never did wear out...that was before anyone knew it was bad for ya...

Jeff Hood
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Hood
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Touring, 1923 Fordor, 1924 Martin Parry Canopy Express, 1925 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 25636

Post by Jeff Hood » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:47 pm

One of my cars has bonded linings. I don't have any idea when they were installed, but the car was built in the mid 1950's and was driven extensively and I have driven it thousands of miles in the nearly 15 years I have owned it. I hardly ever have to make any adjustments.They do chatter some, but so do the wood bands in my other car.

Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16310

Post by Original Smith » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:54 am

This was common back in the early 60's. They chattered a lot and ruined some transmissions too. That is why no one uses them any more.

Rich Bingham
First Name: Rich
Last Name: Bingham
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 runabout

Post by Rich Bingham » Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:45 am

Funny how “updated retrofit” solutions have come and gone, the solutions having become even more obsolete than the Model Ts they were applied to. I first became aware of the bonded band lining idea in the late 60s. At that time, one supposedly “easy” application was to utilize the bands from the 1950-52 Buick “Dyna-Flow” transmission. Nowadays, I’d guess it well may be far more difficult to find those parts than almost anything for a T. “Stock” bands and lining materials have remained consistently pretty easy to find through the years. :D
"Get a horse !"

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic