lighten flywheel

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Rich Huggins
First Name: Rich
Last Name: Huggins
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring- 1922 deverley truck -1922 center door
MTFCA Number: 50661

lighten flywheel

Post by Rich Huggins » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:34 am

Want to lighten flywheel, no mag pro an con. comets needed engine will rev faster reach higher rpm and will run smoother any one in az that can machine the flywheel

jiminbartow
First Name: James
Last Name: Patrick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 50126
Board Member Since: 2001

Re: lighten flywheel

Post by jiminbartow » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:07 pm

I would never consider running my T without a magneto, simply because the magneto, to me, is what makes the Model T so unique. I’m not sure about the answer to your question but I have a hypothetical, food for thought, type question:

If someone was considering illiminating the magneto by removing the magnets and mag coils for the sake of lightening the strain on the engine, since the only thing the flywheel does is hold the magnets, and starter gear ring, is there any reason why the flywheel could not also be removed? Other than the purposes just mentioned, what else does the flywheel do? Jim Patrick

HPetrino
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Petrino
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1918 TT

Post by HPetrino » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:19 pm

I'm pretty sure others can say this better and from a position of more knowledge, but the primary purpose of a flywheel is to provide harmonic balance to the engine. Without it there would be a lurch every time a cylinder fired. It smooths things out using the inertial energy of the flywheel weight.

Maybe someone else can explain it better......

Dan Hatch
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Hatch
MTFCA Number: 49974

Post by Dan Hatch » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:26 pm

Be careful how much you remove. I know of some Model A guys that lighten their flywheels and had hard time going up hills. That flywheel is there for inertia. They changed back to standard flywheel and go right up over hill with no lost of speed. Dan

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by DanTreace » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:37 pm

You lighten a T flywheel and assembly by removing the magnets, clamps, and spools and screws, taking off approx. 18lbs.

Then you can lighten the flywheel itself by removing center mass material, to what ever weight you want to remove., but keep in mind you need a 'flywheel effect'.

The flywheel effect is from the outer diameter anyway. It is needed to keep continued smooth rotation of the engine.

A light flywheel is desired in fast acceleration, like on dirt tracks coming out of the turn. And at high speeds there are the rest of the rotating parts do provide good effect, so the heavy flywheel isn't missed.

With normal stock flywheel in a T, with the magnets providing ignition the stock weight allows smooth running, for each power impulse in high at normal T road speeds. That is normally just fine. The stock set-up provides good torque too at low speeds, for hills.

For a racer or speedster, you can make it quicker off the line with removing the magnets and field coils. Plus there is some, perhaps hard to measure, drag of the magnets over the field coils too.

Once did a speedster and removed the magnets, added flippers for oil sling, as it was an early flywheel w/o ring gear. The body was just plywood deck and 2 buckets, gas tank, and tool box with 12v storage battery inside for ignition to the coil box and plugs. That thing was swift in low gear and in high too. Could feel the difference.
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

jiminbartow
First Name: James
Last Name: Patrick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 50126
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by jiminbartow » Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:01 pm

I suppose a good example that demonstrates the necessity for a flywheel can be found on a 19th century steam engine. Jim Patrick

Les Schubert
First Name: Les
Last Name: Schubert
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 27 roadster 13 touring

Post by Les Schubert » Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:23 pm

On my 1915 Case 65 HP steamer most of the flywheel requirement is for the clutch and the fact it is used as a flat belt pulley. Consider that the engine is double acting so it has 2 power strokes per revolution.
Steam train locomotives here 4 power strokes per revolution.
My 1913 Stanley has virtually no flywheel as it again has 4 power strokes per revolution.

Ignoring all of my above the T certainly needs significant flywheel in my opinion.

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:51 pm

DanTreace wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:37 pm
Then you can lighten the flywheel itself by removing center mass material, to what ever weight you want to remove., but keep in mind you need a 'flywheel effect'.
The flywheel effect is from the outer diameter anyway. It is needed to keep continued smooth rotation of the engine.
A light flywheel is desired in fast acceleration, like on dirt tracks coming out of the turn. And at high speeds there are the rest of the rotating parts do provide good effect, so the heavy flywheel isn't missed.
With normal stock flywheel in a T, with the magnets providing ignition the stock weight allows smooth running, for each power impulse in high at normal T road speeds. That is normally just fine. The stock set-up provides good torque too at low speeds, for hills.
For a racer or speedster, you can make it quicker off the line with removing the magnets and field coils. Plus there is some, perhaps hard to measure, drag of the magnets over the field coils too......
Dan, Thank you for proving an unbiased explanation for the purpose of modifying the flywheel and satisfying the criteria of Les' request. My interest in reading posts is to increase my mechanical knowledge.
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

J and M Machine
First Name: John
Last Name: Gulbankian

Post by J and M Machine » Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:55 pm

Rich Huggins wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:34 am
Want to lighten flywheel, no mag pro an con. comets needed engine will rev faster reach higher rpm and will run smoother any one in az that can machine the flywheel
You don't have to physically machine the flywheel to remove weight. if you're going with a distributor then you can remove the magnets and substitute paddles to keep the oil lubricating engine. Naturally flywheel would need to be balanced in this configuration to make it smooth.
Attachments
IMG_2963.JPG

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic