Rod Jensen Aluminum 6:1 head

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
blgitn
First Name: Roger
Last Name: Harmon
MTFCA Number: 16412
Board Member Since: 2007

Rod Jensen Aluminum 6:1 head

Post by blgitn » Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:20 pm

It seems to require a special head gasket, maybe for bigger valves. Does anyone know of a source for these gaskets?

As always, thanks!

R/ Roger.
Attachments
Rod Jensen HC Head CROPPED.png

Dave S
First Name: David
Last Name: Simmering
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Touring, 1925 Coupe, 1926 Roadster Pickup
MTFCA Number: 11531
MTFCI Number: 10138

Re: Rod Jensen Aluminum 6:1 head

Post by Dave S » Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:27 pm

I used one for 35 years on a stock 1917 motor. I used a stock copper gasket from Langs or Snyders. That head made a big difference on a 1917 couplet.... a heavy T.

Les Schubert
First Name: Les
Last Name: Schubert
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 27 roadster 13 touring

Post by Les Schubert » Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:35 pm

I did a run of special head gaskets a few years ago for big valve T engines. It actually started with head gaskets for F head engines and then expanded a bit.
I still have the digital drawings so could make another one. They are solid copper and work OK if used with “ Hylomar” as a sealant

Dan McEachern
First Name: DAN
Last Name: MCEACHERN
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: too many. '14 touring, 2 depot hacks, 2 speedsters

Post by Dan McEachern » Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:12 pm

AFAIK they worked with a stock gasket. Any indication that the head has been modified around the valve area? If so, you can modify a copper sandwich gasket by opening up the flanged sheet gently, removing the filler material and then forming the flange back with a tiny hammer. This is much easier on older gaskets where the interior is asbestos or beater board. In the newer gaskets, the filler layer has a layer of steel in it that must be removed and this requires detailed attention to cut it out of there. I've found the tiny abrasive discs in a Dremel tool work pretty good for this, but it is tedious work.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic