band spring selection

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
John Illinois
First Name: John
Last Name: Burgett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 29590

band spring selection

Post by John Illinois » Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:00 pm

I am going to use NOS Scandinavian bands. Langs has regular springs which they say are too short for most t's. They have more expensive longer -apparently stronger- springs for Kevlar and recommend them for all other bands. I have detachable bands if that matters.
Snyders has regular inexpensive springs that are longer.
Anyone have any recommendations?

John kuehn
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Re: band spring selection

Post by John kuehn » Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:18 pm

To me it makes sense to use the longer springs regardless of the band material. They will help to keep the bands from any dragging on the drums that would cause premature wear and drum heat. Using the stronger spring with Kevlar is the best way to go.
I think weak and shorter springs was a cause of finding a T transmission with deeply worn drums along with using steel rivets instead of brass to attach the lining to the band.

Topic author
John Illinois
Last Name: Burgett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 29590

Post by John Illinois » Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:06 pm

Thanks for the reply. I think I will go with the longer heavy duty springs.

John

CudaMan
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Strange
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Cut Off Touring (now a pickup)
MTFCA Number: 30944
MTFCI Number: 23667
Board Member Since: 2013

Post by CudaMan » Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:02 pm

Can you post the free lengths of the two types of springs so that folks can measure the ones they have on the shelf to determine what they have? Thanks! :)
Mark Strange
Hillsboro, MO
1924 Cut-off Touring (now a pickup)

Kerry
First Name: Frank
Last Name: van Ekeren
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 touring, 1916 pick-up, 1924 coupe, 1926 touring, 1927 touring

Post by Kerry » Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:12 pm

My first concern wouldn't be the springs, it would be on how old are the NOS Scandinavian bands. They rot with age.

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by DanTreace » Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:22 pm

Those new Lang’s better band springs are 2 1/4” length. Made of proper steel and tension to Ford print. The length is only slightly more than Ford print. Over the years other reproduction springs have been shorter and weaker than Ford originals.
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

George Mills
First Name: George
Last Name: Mills
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Roadster, 1919 Hack, 1925 Fordor
MTFCA Number: 29497
MTFCI Number: 10032
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by George Mills » Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:47 pm

In two separate occasions now I have found the so called stiffer springs to be a royal PITA.

When Moxie26 and I did Tom Edison’s car in West Orange I was fairly confident that the demountable with the car were totally round and probably even originals. The spring kept trying to walk up the groove as it was tightened. A bit of a hassle of back and forth to keep it from riding up, but eventually got it back together.

Next car I did, same thing started to happen and I was in no mood that day to spend an hour just getting Springs in.

I put each spring in the vice, compressed it once to the fullest and released it. Length still showed the same to my eyes, but now they dropped in sweet and stayed square on the lugs when tightening.

If they start to climb...try the vice trick

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:41 pm

The longer the spring the less wriggle room you have when fitting the hogshead. On our RHD cars, reverse and the brake have external adjusters, so the gap for those spring/band ears is fixed. I have had to resort to wiring the springs to compress them a bit to be able to drop the cover down over the band ears. Your experience may vary.
As long as the springs keep the band ears against the adjusters, they are doing their job, regardless of band material.

Allan from down under.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic