Electrolysis

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Herb Iffrig
First Name: Herb
Last Name: Iffrig
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Torpedo, 1918 TT Hucksters

Electrolysis

Post by Herb Iffrig » Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:58 am

So = I'm watching a lot of youtube lately. Here is a pretty good video showing how to use electrolysis for rust removal.
I've also been watching the restoration of that planing machine shown in the background in this video.

I hope you like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKZv14-K71g

tdump
First Name: Mack
Last Name: Cole
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: TT. T express pickup,speedster project.
MTFCA Number: 28146

Re: Electrolysis

Post by tdump » Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:20 pm

I have used that process alot over the past few years. Saves me money from paying someone to sand blast stuff and is less stressful to metal. BUT don't put aluminum or soft metals in there and don't do springs of any kind.
If you can't help em, don't hinder em'

ivaldes1
First Name: Ignacio
Last Name: Valdes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50406
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by ivaldes1 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:26 pm

Getting rust off of wood spoke wheels is a pain because of all the details of getting the rust off from around the wood spokes. Would it work and perhaps not damage the wheel/spokes to put the whole wheel into the bath wood spokes and all? Has anyone ever tried this? -- IV

ivaldes1
First Name: Ignacio
Last Name: Valdes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50406
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by ivaldes1 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:33 pm

Maybe molasses bath rust removal would be a better fit for wood wheels? Would that work? Has anyone tried it?

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:42 pm

I don't think I would want Molasses soaking in to the wood even painted, draw fly's and might get real smelly in warm weather. :o
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

George Mills
First Name: George
Last Name: Mills
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Roadster, 1919 Hack, 1925 Fordor
MTFCA Number: 29497
MTFCI Number: 10032

Post by George Mills » Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:07 pm

Ignacious,

I had a car with a zillion coats of bright yellow paint on the wheels. Whatever the paint was, it was like porcelain and nothing mechanical would even begin to break the surface.

Figuring nothing ventured, nothing gained, nothing to lose I had them hot lye bath dipped. Then moved directly from the lye bath to a vat of neutralizer (this was at a high end furniture restore place that was local). They were then air dried completely and the spokes covered with a coat of Tung Oil.

I hand primed the fellows and then finished them up over a winter of Saturday’s, both finish paint to fellows and maybe three more coats of Tung Oil on the wood as they looked good natural over that same winter (that stuff takes forever to dry). That was in 1980. Those wheels were driven hard and sometimes put away wet! Now 40 years later they look as good as they did in 1980 and appear to be as sound as can be.

I know, 100 other folks will say a lye bath will punk the spokes but I’d wonder how many actually tried? Mine is a single example, but it worked for me.

Mike Thomas
First Name: Mike
Last Name: Thomas
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Coupe

Post by Mike Thomas » Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:17 pm

I also used Tung oil on my spokes. After 10 years I wiped them down and gave them another two coats. Takes about 5 minutes per wheel, no scraping, sanding or masking, and they look great!

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:39 pm

Molasses will not remove paint, but it does an excellent job on steel. Cast iron needs to be watched, as it seems to get into the carbon content and will really erode the piece. As for the smell, you are working with an organic material, and as such, even my wife does not object to the smell. If I even think about using lacquer, her sensors sound the alarm.

Allan from down under.

KWTownsend
First Name: Keith
Last Name: Townsend
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: late 1911 touring, 1915 runabout, 1919 touring, brass speedster
MTFCA Number: 14778
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16305

Post by KWTownsend » Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:07 am

Make sure to do your electrolysis outside!

Duey_C
First Name: Duane
Last Name: Cooley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 18 Runabout, 24 Runabout for 20yrs, 25 TT, late Center Door project, open express pickup
MTFCA Number: 32488
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by Duey_C » Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:30 am

Along with Keith's note. I hope Mr Rucker mentions to NEVER use stainless steel anodes or cathodes as it gives off a deadly gas while cooking. IF I remember correctly.
I LOVE his videos but he gives too much fluff instead of the meat and potatoes of the job at hand. Much like my typing.
George, count me as opposite 101. My dad bought out a business in another town that used the same principles when I was young when construction tanked and kept him busy for some years.
Hot bath solution took the old finish off and then into the neutralizer tank. The chairs/furniture looked amazing after drying and refinishing.
Never hear of any "punking" of the wood to this day. :?:
Ya, molasses will smell a bit after a time.
Since I lost my mind mind, I feel more liberated

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic