Brass Carbide Generator- Some Advice Needed

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Tbird
First Name: Mike
Last Name: Bird
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Delivery Car

Brass Carbide Generator- Some Advice Needed

Post by Tbird » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:10 am

I just acquired this brass Carbide Generator. It looks as though someone took it all apart to do a restoration on it. All the brass is straight. I've never seen one of these apart before. It is missing the basket for the carbide, and I think some sort of rubber gasket to seal the top and the bottom of the tank? also some sort of other tank that goes inside the top water tank? So a few questions as to how these things are assembled:
There are two pieces of piping a short and a long which holes do they mount to and come out of on the switch and the bottom plate?

The levers on the sides that hold the top and the bottom tank together, how are they fastened to the inside of the tank?

There is a bottom plate with two screws and nuts attached that I presume goes to the top of the water tank, is there another piece that attaches to this bottom plate?

It came with three pieces of metal that has a slight curve in them. I have no idea what these are for.

From the looks of this tank it appears to be an early E and J but not sure.
Perhaps someone on this forum has taken apart one of these before. Really it just needs to be assembled. The brass is in really great condition just needs a polishing.

Thanks guys for your help!
Mike
16-squashed.JPG
17-squashed.JPG
1-squashed.JPG
2-squashed.JPG
3-squashed.JPG
Last edited by Tbird on Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

Topic author
Tbird

Re: Brass Carbide Generator- Some Advice Needed

Post by Tbird » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:11 am

4-squashed.JPG
5-squashed.JPG
6-squashed.JPG
7-squashed.JPG
8-squashed.JPG

Topic author
Tbird

Post by Tbird » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:12 am

9-squashed.JPG
10-squashed.JPG
11-squashed.JPG
12-squashed.JPG
13-squashed.JPG

Topic author
Tbird

Post by Tbird » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:12 am

14-squashed.JPG

Topic author
Tbird

Post by Tbird » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:13 am

15-squashed.JPG

BigAl
First Name: Alan
Last Name: Stein
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Touring (August 1911)
MTFCA Number: 7916
MTFCI Number: 9631

Post by BigAl » Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:21 pm

Mike, Looks like you have a Corcoran Generator. It is identical to a Jno Brown except for the base and Jno Brown tag. I have a completely restored Jno Brown that I could send pictures to you for reference. If you call me I can give you some advise on modifications, missing parts, incorrect parts and restoration tips for a correct Jno Brown 1911-12 generator. 586-243-7202 AL

Walter Higgins
First Name: Walter
Last Name: Higgins
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Open Runabout
MTFCA Number: 396
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 153

Post by Walter Higgins » Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:05 pm

My understanding is that brass era Brown and Corcoran generators are nothing alike in their general appearance other than being dimensionally the same. I recognize what Mike posted as a brass era Corcoran -- round base and cam clamps. Jno. Brown had a cast base with three feet and wingnuts for clamps (among other small differences). When Brown went to black-and-brass, the style looked more like a brass era Corcoran and it wouldn't surprise me if not all manufacturers made their own generators, but sourced them elsewhere and had them made under their name. Even amongst all the different designs they will share several similar features like the concentric rings stamped into the bottom plate and the valves appear very similar. The shared manufacturing is just a theory on my part.
Attachments
WP_20160524_18_24_50_Pro.jpg

Darren J Wallace
First Name: Darren
Last Name: Wallace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 Canadian Touring 1905 Queen model B
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Darren J Wallace » Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:05 pm

Question for Walter: Thanks for posting this photo of the Jno Brown unit. Is this example correct for late 1912?
1913 Canadian Touring & 1905 Queen, both cars are 4 generation family owned cars

Darren J Wallace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 Canadian Touring 1905 Queen model B

Post by Darren J Wallace » Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:12 pm

Forgot to add if this unit is correct for a 1912, what is the Center distance from one base hole to the next? I’m hoping it’s 6”. Thanks!
1913 Canadian Touring & 1905 Queen, both cars are 4 generation family owned cars

Walter Higgins
First Name: Walter
Last Name: Higgins
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Open Runabout
MTFCA Number: 396
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 153

Post by Walter Higgins » Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:59 pm

Darren J Wallace wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:12 pm
Forgot to add if this unit is correct for a 1912, what is the Center distance from one base hole to the next? I’m hoping it’s 6”. Thanks!
I have a 3-foot unit that does not have a tag on it. In all respects it looks identical to other early Browns that I've documented (originals, not reproductions) and the mounting holes measure 6-7/16" c-to-c. I compared that to photos I have of an original with its tag and it measured the same. I also have a similar looking 4-foot unit that was bartered to me as a Brown unit that I now believe is not for a number of reasons and the base on it is bigger-yet when measuring the bolt circle as radius from the center-out. Not really relevant to this discussion I guess, but thought I'd throw that out there should somebody run across one. Even if it was manufactured by Brown, I don't think they were used on T's.

As to whether or not they were used on a 1912, I cannot say. I have heard someone say that the all-brass Brown generators weren't used after 1910, but that seems unusual if what they say is true that the lamps were sold by the manufacturers as full sets, generators included. We know from era photos that a lot of 1912's were outfitted with 19's, 100's and 105's and that later there was a black-and-brass Brown generator, so I don't know what the justification is for saying there was a gap in their use.

The few 1912 photos I have that show cars with Brown lamps aren't good enough to tell what the generator is. E&J's are easy enough to pick out because of the big clamps, but you can't see enough of the details on a fuzzy photo of a Brown or Corcoran to tell the difference.

Darren J Wallace

Post by Darren J Wallace » Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:25 pm

Many thanks for the insight!

Topic author
Tbird

Post by Tbird » Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:26 pm

I did figure out what those three pieces of steel are with a slight bend. The attach on the inside of the bottom tank under a lip. I’m not sure what function they serve though. Perhaps to keep the basket from jumping around? I saw this picture that helped me figure it out. Perhaps someone else can chime in?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1913-1914-Mode ... SwNaxegSTh

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by DanTreace » Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:42 pm

Know little of generators, but can share this photo found on past forum post. Appears to show the metal strips to hold the basket up.

204428.jpg
204428.jpg (119.58 KiB) Viewed 4405 times
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

Topic author
Tbird

Post by Tbird » Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:52 am

Ok I’ve been looking over pictures and have been able to put most of the parts together. Can anyone verify if there is a gasket between the top tank and bottom?
Thanks

Scott Rosenthal
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Rosenthal
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 12 Towncar, 12 Touring, 09 Touring

Post by Scott Rosenthal » Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:31 pm

Hello Mike
Yes.... .06" flat rubber or thicker (old inner tube or rubber roofing) or composite sheet (standard gasket stock).

Regards,
Scott

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic