Vaporizer carbs

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
jiminbartow
First Name: James
Last Name: Patrick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 50126
Board Member Since: 2001

Vaporizer carbs

Post by jiminbartow » Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:24 pm

Were NH vaporizer carbs an option or stock on the improved ‘26-‘27 T ? When I bought my ‘26 coupe in 1970, it had a regular NH on it. In 2000, I purchased a nice vaporizer to try and make my T it more historically accurate, but could never get my T to run as smooth as it did on the regular NH, so I sold the vaporizer and went back to the regular NH. Were vaporizer carbs considered an improvement over the old NH’s or did the vaporizer just complicate things? Jim Patrick

FundyTides
First Name: David
Last Name: Wilson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Canadian Touring
MTFCA Number: 51596
Board Member Since: 1999

Re: Vaporizer carbs

Post by FundyTides » Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:32 pm

I think vaporizers were stock from some time in 26 until end of production. My 27 is still running the stock vaporizer. I can't compare performance as it has had the vaporizer for all of the 60 years that it has been in our family. It appears that they are a little harder starting when cold than a carbureted car. Maybe others who have tried both on the same car can tell us about their results.

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by DanTreace » Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:16 pm

According to Club's Encyclopedia, by Bruce:

The Vaporizer became standard in late 1926; the NH being discontinued. The Vaporizers came with several nameplates — Holley and Ford, with variations.

Ford considered them an improvement. Helped with the poor gas and gave good economy, a Ford selling feature of the low cost car!

Plus they do perform when in good shape, this T out horsepowered me on the dyno with a Vaproizer!
297153.jpg
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

Erik Barrett
First Name: Erik
Last Name: Barrett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 speedster 1924 touring 1925 dump truck

Post by Erik Barrett » Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:50 pm

Either a vaporizer or an NH is correct for 26/27 cars. The vaporizer was designed to use the very low quality fuel available at that time. Really not necessary now and the NH is the better choice with modern gas.

Topic author
jiminbartow
First Name: James
Last Name: Patrick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 50126
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by jiminbartow » Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:18 pm

Thank you everyone. Very helpful info. According to the matching engine and chassis number, my ‘26 coupe was made in March so, is considered an early ‘26. It came with the hole through, valve cover and the linkage was crusty with old built up oil and looked all rusty and original like the car when I first bought it, so, I’m sure mine came off the assembly line with an old style Holley NH. Thanks again. Jim Patrick

Thorlick
First Name: Terry
Last Name: Horlick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Roadster Pickup "Mountain Patrol vehicle" from Los Angeles City Fire Department and a 1912 Model T omnibus restoration project
MTFCA Number: 50510
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Thorlick » Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:22 pm

I have mentioned this before, my May 1927 had a vaporizer carb. It is set up with the throttle bell crank up close to the firewall so that the control rod runs over the head to the throttle on the vaporizer.

At one time I used to run a Stromberg go fast carburetor. I had to make a fancy linkage to go over the head and down to where the NH would have been. This was due to the car still having it's #2-3 block web preventing the low throttle lever penetrating there.

So yes, '26-27's often came with a vaporizer. Look at your throttle rod to see where the linkage runs. If it is near the firewall then stick vaporizer. If it is midway down the throttle rod then you can easily run low dangling carb like an NH or a Stromberg OF.

IMHO, TH
Terry Horlick, Penn Valley, CA
1927 Mountain Patrol Vehicle from the Los Angeles City Fire Department (L.A.F.D.)
1912 Model T Ford English Station Omnibus

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic