Piston ring seating

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Robert Bente
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Bente
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 runabout, 1921 touring, 1915 touring
MTFCA Number: 49948

Piston ring seating

Post by Robert Bente » Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:30 am

What are options when you can’t get your piston rings to seat?
I’ve ball honed cylinders with a 45 degree cross hatch, new iron rings are of proper size and end gaps are good.
Cylinder walls are not ovaled.
First attempt I only got up to 20 lbs. on all cylinders and even at that I had blowby.
Upon disassembly the cylinder walls have a light burnish.
I’ve ordered a product called “Quick Seat”. Anyone ever use this?
Short of using Bon Ami, I’m at my wits end.
Any thoughts or suggestions.
r/s Bob

BobShirleyAtlantaTx
First Name: Bob
Last Name: Shirley
MTFCA Number: 29135

Re: Piston ring seating

Post by BobShirleyAtlantaTx » Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:35 am

Did you check the end gap on the rings by putting a ring in the cylinder and pushing down just a little with a piston, to square it up, and using a feeler gauge to check the end gap? Should have a gap of between .012 and .020 And it should be a constant measurement up and down the cylinders.

Jerry VanOoteghem
First Name: Jerry
Last Name: Van
MTFCA Number: 24868

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:30 am

Robert Bente wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:30 am
What are options when you can’t get your piston rings to seat?
I’ve ball honed cylinders with a 45 degree cross hatch, new iron rings are of proper size and end gaps are good.
Cylinder walls are not ovaled.
First attempt I only got up to 20 lbs. on all cylinders and even at that I had blowby.
Upon disassembly the cylinder walls have a light burnish.
I’ve ordered a product called “Quick Seat”. Anyone ever use this?
Short of using Bon Ami, I’m at my wits end.
Any thoughts or suggestions.
r/s Bob
How soon after installing your new rings did you take your compression test? Did you run the engine for any real length of time before testing? I had maybe 100 miles on my '21 before I noticed a big increase in power.

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:35 am

How many miles are on the new rings? It does take a while to seat the rings. The engine should be fast idled for a while then cool off and re torque the head. Then drive a mile or two and re torque the head. Do this a few times. Then take out for a drive varying the speed up to about 25 mph and down a bit then up to about 35 and slow down a bit. Do this varying speed for about 500 miles. Then change the oil. If it doesn't seat by then, you do have a problem with the rings.

Note the gap should be approximately the same at the bottom of the cylinder as it is at the top. If it is much greater at the top than at the bottom, you need to re bore and replace the pistons and rings.
Norm

Topic author
Robert Bente
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 runabout, 1921 touring, 1915 touring

Post by Robert Bente » Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:30 am

I have been unable to get the engine to fire. I believe it’s due to the low compression and blow by not allowing for enough vacuum to draw fuel vapor into cylinders. I’ve also splashed fuel into plug holes, no luck, not even a puff or pop.
I’ve rotated the engine for a complete cycle about 50 times.
Cylinder taper is less than .001.
Caveat, this is for a 1916 Buick. My apologies for posting here, but I’m a little desperate for a solution.
r/s Bob

perry kete
First Name: Dennis
Last Name: Seth
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Coupe 1927 Touring

Post by perry kete » Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:43 am

Have you checked the timing?
Do you have spark?
If you have spark is a strong spark?
Check all electrical connections
1922 Coupe & 1927 Touring

Susanne
First Name: Susanne
Last Name: Rohner
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Late '15 touring, "Angel".
MTFCA Number: 464
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Susanne » Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:01 pm

I'm wondering if it's somewhere else... check your valves and seats? Head torqued? Good head gaskets? Valve timing right?

Jerry VanOoteghem
First Name: Jerry
Last Name: Van
MTFCA Number: 24868

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:16 pm

Robert Bente wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:30 am
I have been unable to get the engine to fire. I believe it’s due to the low compression and blow by not allowing for enough vacuum to draw fuel vapor into cylinders. I’ve also splashed fuel into plug holes, no luck, not even a puff or pop.
I’ve rotated the engine for a complete cycle about 50 times.
Cylinder taper is less than .001.
Caveat, this is for a 1916 Buick. My apologies for posting here, but I’m a little desperate for a solution.
r/s Bob
It should still do something, even with low compression. Other troubles I think. Ignition timing 180 degrees off? You can probably do that with a Buick just as easily as with a T!
Last edited by Jerry VanOoteghem on Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dan McEachern
First Name: DAN
Last Name: MCEACHERN
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: too many. '14 touring, 2 depot hacks, 2 speedsters

Post by Dan McEachern » Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:29 pm

Put a few squirts of engine oil in the cylinders so that the rings can seal. What is the condition of the valves? Low compression may not be due to the rings. Have you confirmed your valve lash? Good luck.

Kerry
First Name: Frank
Last Name: van Ekeren
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 touring, 1916 pick-up, 1924 coupe, 1926 touring, 1927 touring

Post by Kerry » Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:22 pm

Assuming this Buick is still running cast iron pistons? the ring gap needs to be 1/2 of what is used on aluminium pistons, if to much you have a high blow by resulting in your low compression.

Philip
First Name: Philip
Last Name: Thompson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 touring

Post by Philip » Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:12 pm

Ring side gap if you are using old pistons is where the problem is.
If you want to use old iron pistons have the grooves cut side and fit
Ring spacers about .002 .003 is all you want. Philip

cessna53195
Last Name: Skingley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 Runabout
MTFCI Number: 23002

Post by cessna53195 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:21 pm

One other factor not mentioned is an intake manifold leak or leak at the carb attachment. I helped a friend whos car was just not starting anymore, he had put a wood spacer between carb and manifold. { he thought that would make carb cooler} wrong. When I touched the bolts attaching the carb they were loose.....his wood spacer had shrunk and thus leaked air...got rid of the wood tightened up the bolts and it was running again. I know one year it happened to me at the OCF, the car just became hard to start, it was manifold bolts that had not been rechecked after installation...I know you have low compression so add a small leake and it won't draw... Robert

cessna53195
Last Name: Skingley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 Runabout
MTFCI Number: 23002

Post by cessna53195 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:34 pm

One more thought, if you think it won't start because of the low compression you could pull start it. This might raise the compression in a dynamic way enough to get it started … Robert

Altair
First Name: David
Last Name: Menzies
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring and 1915 Touring both Canadian models
MTFCA Number: 27825
Board Member Since: 2012

Post by Altair » Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:57 pm

Make an adapter to the spark plug to fit an air hose and pump compressed air in to each cylinder while at TDC, not high pressure just 20 - 30 lbs and listen at he carb, crankcase and exhaust, you will hear where the air is escaping.

Topic author
Robert Bente

Post by Robert Bente » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:47 am

I have checked all the great thoughts you all have had.
Timing good, valve seating good, spark good, carburetor good.
Ring side spacing is between .001 - .003.
I have also made an air adapter for plug hole as suggested and at 20 lbs I get blowby.
I’ve ordered some replacement cylinder honing shoes, and I’ll try this along with the quick seat product. Maybe the ball hone gave a uneven surface?
I’m unable to tow and rotate engine because of 90 year old petrified tires.
Thanks for the responses.
r/s Bob

paulmikeska
First Name: Paul
Last Name: Mikeska
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1917 Speedster, 1923 Farm Truck, 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 15976

Post by paulmikeska » Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:41 pm

If the throttle was closed when you did the test you will get low readings. The throttle and choke need to be wide open while doing the test.

Mark Nunn
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Nunn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 50321
Board Member Since: 2017

Post by Mark Nunn » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:27 pm

Here is an old timey process that I never tried. With the engine running, dust some Bom-Ami into the carb to seat rings. It is said to work in down draft carb situations. Side draft, who knows. I mention it because some other old timers may remember it.

Erik Barrett
First Name: Erik
Last Name: Barrett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 speedster 1924 touring 1925 dump truck

Post by Erik Barrett » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:47 pm

Do a leakdown test to find out where you are losing compression. Lock the engine at TDC and apply compressed air to the cylinder. You will hear it leak at the carb, exhaust, or crankcase. These Buicks are prone to problems with the valve cages. They can move and misalign with the ports if the nuts are too loose and the seats can distort and leak if too tight.

Erik Barrett
First Name: Erik
Last Name: Barrett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 speedster 1924 touring 1925 dump truck

Post by Erik Barrett » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:49 pm

If it is a ring seating problem, Bon Ami does work with updraft carbs. Don’t ask me how I know.

Kerry
First Name: Frank
Last Name: van Ekeren
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 touring, 1916 pick-up, 1924 coupe, 1926 touring, 1927 touring

Post by Kerry » Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:32 pm

Bon-Ami won't solve Robert's problem, engine won't run :o

david_dewey
Last Name: Dewey
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 touring, 1925 runaboaut, 1926 Tudor
MTFCI Number: 19936

Post by david_dewey » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:00 am

If anyone here would know what the issue is, it would be Erik B. Before you go dropping the pan again, do what he suggests.
then, you may need some way to spin the motor faster than the starter does. Used to be, tire shops had an "on the car wheel spinner" a motorized pulley they would put against a tire to spin it to check the balance--sounds like that's what you need--or take the rim off and jerry rig a belt and pulley to a motor to spin it. This is a bit hard on the rear axle though.
T'ake care,
David Dewey

RichardG
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Grzegorowicz
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1921 T pickup

Post by RichardG » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:48 am

A LITTLE INFORMATION BOB PLEASE--WHAT YEAR IS THIS CAR--SELF STARTER, IS THERE A GOOD BLUE SPARK ? OPEN THE GAP 1 OR 2 THO ON THE PLUGS, WHAT KIND OF OIL IN ENGINE--TO DAYS ENGINES USE HIGH DETERGENT OIL, NO GOOD FOR YESTERDAYS ENGINES, FOR MANY REASONS [NOW THAT WILL GET SOME RAZED EYE BROWS, ] YOUR RINGS WILL SEAT QUICKER USING 30 --W-- NON- D ET- OIL, TRYING TO START A SLOW TURNING ENGINE ,WITH NEW RIGS THAT HAVE NOT SEAL'D YET,-- BON AMI WILL HELP,-- BUT THE ENGINE NEEDS TO BE RUNNING FIRST. I USED TO USE 20 MULE TEAM WITH CAT ENGINES, A FIST FULL AT TOP RPM, DON'T LET IT STALL, IF ITS A STARTER TYPE PUT A LITTLE NUMBER 30 OIL IN EACH CYL AND IF THERE IS NOT MUCH VACCUM TO PULL UP THE GAS, SHOOT SOME OF GAS IN WITH THE OIL, HOOK A TWELVE VOLT BATTERY UP BUT DON'T GET FOOLISH HERE, 30 40 SECOND'S AT A TIME, DON'T OVER HEAT THE STARTER, BUT IF IT'S TURNING FREE THAT WONT BE A PROBLEM, HIGH DETERGENT OIL HAS VERY LITTLE FRICTION , AND FRICTION IS WHAT WILL SEAT THE RINGS, [ HAVE THE BATTERY AWAY FROM THE CAR, ] HOOK THE CABLES TO THE STARTER AND GROUND ON THE FRAME, PUT THE POSITIVE CABLE ON THE BATTERY, AND TOUCH THE GROUND CABLE TO THE BATTERY WHEN NEEDED, HAVE A HELPER RUN THE CABLE ON THE BATTERY, YOU WILL HAVE YOUR HANDS FULL TENDING THE JOB AT HAND. BE SAFE--AND GOOD LUCK. GREG

Charlie B in N.J.
First Name: CHARLIE
Last Name: BRANCA
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: "27 Tudor / "23 Touring
MTFCA Number: 28967
Board Member Since: 2010

Post by Charlie B in N.J. » Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:20 am

I'd like to know, (perhaps I missed it), what caused the ring replacement in the first place and how did you arrive at the idea it needed them?
Forget everything you thought you knew.

david_dewey
Last Name: Dewey
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 touring, 1925 runaboaut, 1926 Tudor
MTFCI Number: 19936

Post by david_dewey » Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:58 pm

Guys, it is a Buick, not a T, so the starting ideas for a T don't necessarily work for the Buick. The sharpest early Buick guy I know is Erik Barrett, and he gave some really good suggestions. If everything else is OK, I think the problem is getting the engine to spin fast enough AND long enough to work up some compression and it will then fire. Once it starts and runs a bit, it should start just fine afterwards. I'm just trying to save Robert all the effort of droppiing the pan, crank and pistons. The scary thing about these engines is if you let the piston go too high in the cylinder, the top ring will pop out of the bore and then you'll loose the piston getting it out. Besides likely doing other damage too. Some folks make a rod that fits in one of the valve cages that sticks in the bore deep enough to prevent the piston from going too high. Once the rod is on the crank, no more worries!
Detachable heads can be so handy!! For those that might not know, the Buick does not have detachable heads, you have to do the valves by taking the valve cages out of the block . And as Erik mentioned, you can put them in wrong!
T'ake care,
David Dewey

Topic author
Robert Bente

Post by Robert Bente » Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:00 am

Update on progress. I found another set of nos rings that are .010 over. End gaps on old rings in the ring travel area were .035+. I will use a sizing hone to even out the cylinder bore and size the rings for an end gap of around .010.
I also received a email from Dan H. who read my post on this site, and he has some roller 34” tires he is willing to give to me.
I’ve had a wanted listing on the HCCA site for months with no luck. Thank you MTFCA.
Also, a thank you to Erik B. for his help. There is nothing that replaces experience.
r/s Bob

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic