Wood for roadster body.

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Jim Sims
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Sims
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 17 touring 20 roadster 21coupe 25tudor 25 pickup 27 coupe
MTFCI Number: 13377

Wood for roadster body.

Post by Jim Sims » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:32 am

I can not find any maple or ash lumber within 60 miles of home. All we have is pine or red oak. Any suggestions of what else I might use.

Les Schubert
First Name: Les
Last Name: Schubert
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 27 roadster 13 touring

Re: Wood for roadster body.

Post by Les Schubert » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:52 am

Red oak works. White oak is better
Poplar also works good.
Really any hard wood is OK

Humblej
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Humble
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Canadian built coupe, 1924 TT C-cab, survivor 1924 roadster
MTFCA Number: 28034
Board Member Since: 2006

Post by Humblej » Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:11 am

Jim, there is a sawmill I use up here in Charlevoix Michigan, should be a reasonable drive from Reed City, he will cut you ash in any length, width and thickness you want for about $1 per board foot. He has some ash cut for an order that was never picked up or paid for that has been sitting around for over a year, some of it is about 1 1/8" thick, 6" wide, and about 8 ft long. I think he has some thicker boards too. Tracey 231-675- 43-two-0.
Last edited by Humblej on Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

HornsRus
First Name: Charley
Last Name: Shaver
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913

Post by HornsRus » Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:17 am

sycamore is still the best,i have 300 bodies out there with it in them.charley

R.V.Anderson
First Name: R.V.
Last Name: Anderson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914, 1920, 1923, 1923

Post by R.V.Anderson » Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:47 am

I used beech in my '14 touring. It's a mite heavy but it's rot-resistant, very dense, holds nails and screws beautifully, easily worked, plentiful around here, and as such, relatively inexpensive.

Rich Eagle
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Eagle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 TR 1914 TR 1915 Rd 1920 Spdstr 1922 Coupe 1925 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1219

Post by Rich Eagle » Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:54 am

I rewooded my '23 Bus in the 80s with red oak because it was more available in different thicknesses. Many expert told me it was a mistake but it has lasted 9 or 10 thousand miles of driving in all kinds of weather and I can see no problems with the wood.
23Whitee.jpg
I rewooded my 22 T Coupe with pine (2X 4s) in 2012. It has not held the nails and tacks as well but is still holding up well. It was much easier on the tools. I had not planned to drive it much but we have about a thousand miles on it too.
22T-coupe.jpg
I like ash and poplar better now.
Best of luck.
Rich
When did I do that?

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:20 pm

I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Les Schubert

Post by Les Schubert » Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:52 pm

Jim
Obviously I don’t know your skill level, but having done a number of wood jobs without drawings, I recommend doing a first go using some cheap disposable wood while you get comfortable with the order of cuts and the angles etc. once you are comfortable with how you are going to proceed, then grab the quality expensive chunk of wood!!
I have done a centre door, a fordor, a Detroit electric and a 15 touring!!

HornsRus

Post by HornsRus » Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:06 pm

oak& ash are fine for strait pieces but the grain just lays on top of its self so if you have to cut a creve it is about as week as pine.look for a wood that has a woven grain as sycamore has,holds nails & screws very well + it is a lot lighter.some of you have so much power whats an extey 100 lbs or so.ha,ha. charley

tom_strickling
First Name: Tom
Last Name: Strickling
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 11 Torpedo, 18 Touring, 21 TT Huckster, 24 snowmpbile Staude and Shaw tractor conversions, Model T powered sickel bar mower

Post by tom_strickling » Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:22 am

Be careful with Sycamore, some people have strong allergies to it. The dust on your skin can cause a rash IF ALLERGIC.

White oak is used for wine and whiskey barrels because the cellular structure is closed. Red oak has open cells that will hold moisture. Having said that, if you use red oak, it will last a long time unless you drive underwater on a regular basis.
“The trouble with retirement is that you never get a day off.” – Abe Lemons.

HornsRus

Post by HornsRus » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:46 am

i worked with sycamore for 30 years no problems.but some people have allergies and anything can set them off.charley

Topic author
Jim Sims
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Sims
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 17 touring 20 roadster 21coupe 25tudor 25 pickup 27 coupe
MTFCI Number: 13377

Post by Jim Sims » Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:43 am

I found a supply for the wood I need. A friend of mine owns a saw mill and says he has any wood I need. He also has and restores Model T's and Model A's.

HornsRus

Post by HornsRus » Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:58 am

a note on sycamore must be 1/4 sawed or it will warp when dried.charley

Rich Bingham
First Name: Rich
Last Name: Bingham
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 runabout

Post by Rich Bingham » Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:51 pm

This topic was discussed a while back, I think it was Alan, “down under” who recommended using “tree wood”. :lol: :lol:

Most of us with a passing acquaintance with woodworking will use what’s readily available and what we prefer to work with. “Back in the day”, drying, grading and choosing wood species for their optimal properties was advanced technology, as was frame engineering for coach built auto bodies. All that is pretty much lost art nowadays. For the most part, in the era, prestige autos and the custom body makers preferred ash; most Model T bodies had poplar frames, or whatever was handy. Ash was used for floorboards early on, but cost and availability changed that later on, lending credence to the “packing crate” myth.
"Get a horse !"

Larry LaPatka
First Name: Larry
Last Name: LaPatka
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Pie Wagon, 13 Depot Hack,14 Bell Telephone Service Truck, 14 Delivery "C" Cab, 30 Model A Closed Cab
MTFCA Number: 25903

Post by Larry LaPatka » Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:59 pm

Jim,
We just cut down a 4 1/2 foot diameter X 65 foot tall Ash tree this morning and your welcome to come on down and take whatever you need.
And boy is it straight.
Sincerely,
Larry

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:15 pm

Larry

did Emerald Ash Borers get to it?
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

david_dewey
First Name: David
Last Name: Dewey
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 touring, 1925 runaboaut, 1926 Tudor
MTFCI Number: 19936
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by david_dewey » Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:59 pm

Red Oak is lousy for body wood; it splits too easily. The open grain in it is a long-term problem. Poplar would be better, ash or some of the other woods mentioned too. I mention Poplar because it's usually available.
T'ake care,
David Dewey

HornsRus

Post by HornsRus » Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:08 pm

poplar agian is ok for straight pieces but has no grain so doesn't hold screws & nails very well .charley

2nighthawks
First Name: Harold
Last Name: Schwendeman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 Roadster Pickup, '26 Touring, '27 Depot Hack, '23 Roadster
MTFCA Number: 0

Post by 2nighthawks » Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:38 pm

One thing I have never, ever heard about for anything to do with Model T wood is teak. And teak is very, VERY popular as well as "common" for marine use, not only for it's beauty (which of course is not important for Model T wood) but also because teak is very durable and long-lasting even with no paint, varnish or any kind of finish. In fact, there are those boat owners as well as boat builders that purposely leave teak natural with no finish at all so that it will "weather" to a soft gray color. I suppose despite the durability of teak, it's not used for Model T wood as it is quite expensive. (???)

HornsRus

Post by HornsRus » Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:14 am

teak! never used any,what grain dose it have? you are right t wood has got to be cheep!!!!!!!!!!! charley

2nighthawks
First Name: Harold
Last Name: Schwendeman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 Roadster Pickup, '26 Touring, '27 Depot Hack, '23 Roadster
MTFCA Number: 0

Post by 2nighthawks » Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:56 pm

Charley - As to type of grain, not being too sure how to answer your question as to what type of grain does teak have, I did a bit of internet research to learn how to better describe the grain than any awkward description I might provide, and I guess that pretty well answers you question as well as mine (as to why teak is never talked about on the forum). It is very, VERY expensive,....even more expensive than I realized! My original thought was,...how expensive can it really be as they cover entire boat decks with teak, however, I guess I now know one reason why wooden "yachts" are so expensive!

As to some of the characteristics of teak,...I now know a bit more than I did, and it is described as a tropical hardwood, most commonly with a straight grain, and is very strong and rot resistant. To me, the grain always looked similar to mahogany, and everything I read on the internet would appear that it would be an excellent choice for about any use, interior or exterior, except for the great expense, and I suppose one reason is that being a tropical hardwood from Asia, being imported probably accounts for some of the great expense. What I DID have correct in my original description is the fact that teak is very rot resistant due to natural oil ( and wax) within teak wood.

Anyway, the obvious answer is the expense, and I guess I'm sorry I even brought it up Charley,......harold

Les Schubert

Post by Les Schubert » Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:05 pm

I have a great big plank of mahogany in my wood shop. I need to think about using that. It would certainly make a really nice truck box!

HornsRus

Post by HornsRus » Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:31 pm

thanks, if it is straight grain if you cut a creve it will be very week,one other that has a woven grain is elm, but it is so stringey it is very hard to machine.charley

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic