Transmission Simulator

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
DontKnowMuch
First Name: James
Last Name: Sanford
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14 Touring, 26 Roadster, 27 Roadster

Transmission Simulator

Post by DontKnowMuch » Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:57 pm

At one time, the transmission simulator on this site https://www.modeltcentral.com/transmiss ... ation.html showed how the T transmission worked internally with various combinations of pedals engaged. I have not been able to get it to work now. Is it still supported?

It may be something simple but I have not been successful. I remember the site being very informative.

Thanks.

CudaMan
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Strange
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Cut Off Touring (now a pickup)
MTFCA Number: 30944
MTFCI Number: 23667
Board Member Since: 2013

Re: Transmission Simulator

Post by CudaMan » Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:35 pm

The box where the simulator used to be appears to say "access to Adobe Flash Player is blocked".

Have you tried contacting them via a link on the website?
Mark Strange
Hillsboro, MO
1924 Cut-off Touring (now a pickup)

jab35
Last Name: Bartsch
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '26 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 30615
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by jab35 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:31 pm

Worked fine for me??? jb

Graybeard77
First Name: Clyde
Last Name: Gibson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Fordor Sedan, 1926 Roadster
MTFCA Number: 32266

Post by Graybeard77 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:06 pm

Worked fine for me. I found it very interesting. I had never seen it before, gives me a better understanding of how the trans works. Thanks. Clyde

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:01 am

DontKnowMuch wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:57 pm
At one time, the transmission simulator on this site https://www.modeltcentral.com/transmiss ... ation.html showed how the T transmission worked internally with various combinations of pedals engaged. I have not been able to get it to work now. Is it still supported?
Thanks.
Work for me after I agreed to run it with Adobe Flash Player do you that loaded on your device?
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Tom VanMeeteren
First Name: Tom
Last Name: VanMeeteren
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 touring 1923 touring

Post by Tom VanMeeteren » Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:36 am

It's blocked for me too. How do you agree to run Adobe?

Chris Barker
First Name: Chris
Last Name: Barker
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe

Post by Chris Barker » Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:49 am

It depends on which browser you use. Google 'Unblock Flash Player' and you will find advice.

For Chrome, when you got to a website that needs Flash, a tiny puzzle piece appears top right.
Click on that, then 'manage'. Click on the switch and you should get the 'ask first' option.
Reload the site and you should be asked if you wish to allow Flash.
Answer is 'allow'

Topic author
DontKnowMuch
Last Name: Sanford
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14 Touring, 26 Roadster, 27 Roadster

Post by DontKnowMuch » Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:46 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. I did try to contact them before I posted but had not gotten a response. I switched browsers and was able to get the simulator to work.
Is this explanation/simulator something that should be referenced somewhere on the Forum?

Thanks again.

jpcouture
First Name: Jay
Last Name: Couture
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50266

Post by jpcouture » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:20 pm

Putting on my work security administrator hat for a Flash lesson:
The simulator is an Adobe Flash document, designed to be viewed using the FREE Flash player. The Flash format was introduced in 1996 and dominated multi-media production in the 2000's. Flash is now considered to be outdated, and has been replaced with newer formats such as HTML5 and WebGL. The Flash player has a long history of security vulnerabilities, which require frequent patching, and is a network administrator's nightmare.

Modern browsers have restricted or blocked use of Flash, and Adobe will end support of the FREE player on December 31, 2020. To view Flash documents after that date, you will need to run unsupported, potentially vulnerable software, or BUY a suitable viewer. Hopefully the site owner of the simulator has the source code, and the means to convert it to a modern format. Until then it will go the way of that Model T parked in the barn, waiting to be revived.

We are used to dealing with obsolete, unsupported, dangerous devices that few people want.I don't plan to keep a Windows 7 computer around however.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic