1917 engine casting with no Ford script

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Gaslamp
First Name: Dean
Last Name: Fletcher
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1917 roadster, 1924 coupe

1917 engine casting with no Ford script

Post by Gaslamp » Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:52 pm

Hello

Does anyone know the background to Model T engines with no Ford script? I have two of these, one has a 1917 casting date , the other is 1919 with a Canada serial number. These were in Canadian made cars sold in New Zealand.
Attachments
2.jpg
1.jpg

Kerry
First Name: Frank
Last Name: van Ekeren
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 touring, 1916 pick-up, 1924 coupe, 1926 touring, 1927 touring

Re: 1917 engine casting with no Ford script

Post by Kerry » Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:35 pm

They seem to turn up like that as well as scripted, Canadian stuff seems to be all over the place compared to the USA as they have better kept records. Even trying to work out when Canada started casting is controversial, 1919 was listed as so but we do have 1918 block with script and made in Canada on them.
That block you have would have been a 1918 year model by that casting date, I don't know if any 17 year T's made it to NZ, for in Australia our change over for brass to black radiator was for the release of the 1918 model.

Susanne
First Name: Susanne
Last Name: Rohner
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Late '15 touring, "Angel".
MTFCA Number: 464
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Susanne » Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:42 pm

I heard decades ago that, because of WW1 and US laws, those blocks Ford did make for "foreign" use (like overseas destined during the great war) had no markings whatsoever.... If all the other markings (Date same in the casting, hidden reference casting numbers, etc. ) are in place with none of the traditional "Ford" sxript "made in USA or Canada in place.... I'd probably give it a pass. I do know one of these was modified to make it a very early teens block for a car... but that'sneither here nor there.

There was also huge aftermarket market for parts then... so you may well have a block that was cast by a 3rd party and sold as a replacement for the poor castings coming off Ford's line in mid-15 -early '16...

Regardlless of all that... I'd still run it!

Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16310

Post by Original Smith » Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:57 am

Don't assume every engine block was made by Ford. Aftermarket companies made them too.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic