Anderson Timer Manufacturer

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
fbergski
First Name: Philip
Last Name: Berg
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Touring 1916 Coupelet

Anderson Timer Manufacturer

Post by fbergski » Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:05 am

Looking to have a couple of Anderson timers re-timed due to me bending the tabs, anybody have contact information?

Thx

BE_ZERO_BE
First Name: BOB
Last Name: CASCISA
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 TOURING
MTFCA Number: 16897
MTFCI Number: 16628

Re: Anderson Timer Manufacturer

Post by BE_ZERO_BE » Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:51 am

Tip Top Timers
Spokane, WA
1-509-220-0892
Respectfully Submitted,
Be_Zero_Be

I drive a Model T ... Microseconds don't matter :D

For every Absolute Model T Fact there are at least three exceptions.

Thorlick
First Name: Terry
Last Name: Horlick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Roadster Pickup "Mountain Patrol vehicle" from Los Angeles City Fire Department and a 1912 Model T omnibus restoration project
MTFCA Number: 50510
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Thorlick » Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:16 am

Phil, it only works to have someone else do it if your timing gear cover is properly centered. So you need to get or make a centering fixture.

Much less expensive, and very easy, is to just do it yourself.

I changed my procedure for accomplishing this task this week to make it much easier (less rotating of the crankshaft). The real advantage to doing it yourself is then any error on timing cover position doesn’t matter.

Groove worn into old flapper
Groove worn into old flapper
88842B33-86C0-41FF-8FC2-2C595E941120.jpeg (43.68 KiB) Viewed 2743 times

First you must have a good flapper. If it looks like the worn one pictured here you can’t set the timer no matter how it is done. The flapper will not track accurately. So first check your flapper!

Mark pulley
Mark pulley

Next set crank to top dead center and mark the pulley. A dot of paint works, I have an aluminum pulley so I punch marks or just use the split. The mark lines up with a boss on the timing gear cover at TDC. Put a second mark at BDC. This whole step is unnecessary if you want to find TDC by indicating the piston, but marking saves a lot of time and is much easier and more accurate.

Now bring each piston to dead center, turn ignition to battery and fully retardant spark. Slowly advance until it buzzes and mark the lever position on the tape.

Repeat so all 4 cylinders have been marked.

Tape placed on quadrant
Tape placed on quadrant
BCDD4798-58DF-45C4-9F9E-1269CEEAF423.jpeg (26.16 KiB) Viewed 2743 times

As you can see when I did this a few days ago #3 needed correcting. You carefully bend the contact in the timer until that errant mark conforms to the others.

The whole job can often be done in 15 minutes. Just remember to always set to retard before advancing until buzzing. That way you remove errors due to lash in the linkage.

IMHO, TH
Terry Horlick, Penn Valley, CA
1927 Mountain Patrol Vehicle from the Los Angeles City Fire Department (L.A.F.D.)
1912 Model T Ford English Station Omnibus

Quickm007
First Name: Mario
Last Name: Brossard
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Touring and 1914 speedster
MTFCA Number: 30981
MTFCI Number: 30981

Post by Quickm007 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:05 pm

For the timing, my receipes is :

For the timer tool... Use a soda straw, I like McDonalds, down cylinder hole #1 to find TDC while rotating the hand crank. Pin should be pointing at about 3:30 right when the cylinder starts the power stroke down. Now, rotate the timer cap clockwise until a coil buzzes then back off until it stops. Finish by setting the rod (may need to bend it) so the spark advance lever is all the way up, fully retarded. Hope that help as well
Super Mario Bross ;)

1911 Touring
1914 Speedster

Thorlick
First Name: Terry
Last Name: Horlick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Roadster Pickup "Mountain Patrol vehicle" from Los Angeles City Fire Department and a 1912 Model T omnibus restoration project
MTFCA Number: 50510

Post by Thorlick » Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:17 pm

Another thing I am now doing which is great fun:

After setting my timer I pulled the painters tape off of my quadrant and put fresh tape there. Then I cut a strip of paper to wrap around the pulley, marking TDC and degrees around the pulley.

Next I transferred the marks to the quadrant tape. Set the reading at the pulley, advance until buzz and mark. Done!

Now I have 15 degrees ATC (full retard) marked, TDC marked and degrees Up to 30 degrees of advance marked.

This allows me to know where it is safe to set spark for cranking (it cannot kick back if it retarded to any setting before zero degrees, TDC) and what advance works best. It makes understanding your car easier. I may even see if I can identify the exact position for the three settings you get from mag output.

Tape marked with degrees after TDC (retard) and degrees before TDC ( advance)
Tape marked with degrees after TDC (retard) and degrees before TDC ( advance)
Paper strip makes temporary degree wheel
Paper strip makes temporary degree wheel

Mario, a straw and 3:30 will get you close enough to get the job done. It will always be a bit more precise (well a bit less sloppy) to use a pulley marked at TDC. Just do it the way you like!

TH
Terry Horlick, Penn Valley, CA
1927 Mountain Patrol Vehicle from the Los Angeles City Fire Department (L.A.F.D.)
1912 Model T Ford English Station Omnibus

Topic author
fbergski
First Name: Philip
Last Name: Berg
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Touring 1916 Coupelet

Post by fbergski » Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:19 pm

BE_ZERO_BE wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:51 am
Tip Top Timers
Spokane, WA