Driveshaft Rebuild Showstopper

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Dan B
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Blaydon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Touring

Driveshaft Rebuild Showstopper

Post by Dan B » Sat May 02, 2020 12:32 pm

Here I am, with a nice shiny, painted driveshaft and all the parts needed in order to fully rebuild it. I picked it up off the parts pile after accidentally shearing the rivets in the original housing trying to get out the Babbitt bushing. Anyone notice what it’s missing?

Hint: It’s on my old driveshaft but there’s apparently no way to get it off!! Am I overlooking something obvious?

Looks like I’ll be posting a classified ad for a good COMPLETE driveshaft.
Attachments
45F4B76D-037D-44DD-8150-E62EF21F0A6A.jpeg
1923 Touring

Adam
First Name: Adam
Last Name: Doleshal
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘13 Touring, ‘24 Touring, ‘25 TT dump truck, ‘26 Tudor, ‘20 Theiman harvester T powerplant, ‘20 T Staude tractor
MTFCA Number: 23809
MTFCI Number: 1
Board Member Since: 2000

Re: Driveshaft Rebuild Showstopper

Post by Adam » Sat May 02, 2020 12:36 pm

You could re-rivet your old tube. A tapered mandrel driven in will hold the heads from the inside. You do the rear rivets first and then the front ones. Easy to make a mandrel, but you need a lathe.

Topic author
Dan B

Post by Dan B » Sat May 02, 2020 12:45 pm

Good thought but tried multiple times to re-rivet old housing using an old driveshaft as the bucking bar. The problem was getting the rivet heads up against the radius of the inside of the tube tight enough. Tried multiple different head types. We thought we got around that problem, but then there was not enough clearance from the rivet head to driveshaft.

This all started with the “drop the socket in” technique which should have been done with more care. Chalk it up to a beginners mistake. But all four rivet heads sheared. Looking up this topic on the forum, you will see multiple posts with the same end result. Makes me wonder how many people have done it and never realized that they in fact sheared off the rivets.
1923 Touring

Erik Barrett
First Name: Erik
Last Name: Barrett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 speedster 1924 touring 1925 dump truck

Post by Erik Barrett » Sat May 02, 2020 12:56 pm

Second attempt at posting. Hope two of them don’t pop up. Anyway, I have been there. Working late one night shortening a driveshaft tube for a Warford I forgot to put the four bolt collar back on the tube before welding the flange back on. Rats. I sliced the collar in two and welded it back together on the tube. Worked great.

Topic author
Dan B

Post by Dan B » Sat May 02, 2020 1:36 pm

Erik - Sorry to hear of your troubles but I guess I’m in good company with this kind of mistake.

Great idea on cutting and rewelding the ring. I think I’m going to give that a shot before moving on.
1923 Touring

Les Schubert
First Name: Les
Last Name: Schubert
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 27 roadster 13 touring

Post by Les Schubert » Sat May 02, 2020 6:44 pm

Consider just one cut in the ring and then “spiral” it off and on. Use the narrowest cutting tool you can find.

Topic author
Dan B

Post by Dan B » Sat May 02, 2020 8:06 pm

We split the ring with a hacksaw. The plan is to use a spare ball cap and bolts to hold the two pieces true, tack weld them and then finish welding them down the shaft where there is more room and less chance of damaging the ball cap area.
Attachments
2FF85B7D-3ACF-49FE-BD35-A9A09228541D.jpeg
1923 Touring

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Sun May 03, 2020 12:26 am

Dan, I did a similar dopey thing when rebuilding the handbrake cross shaft on Henrietta, my barn find buckboard. The lever was loose on the shaft, so I took the opportunity to rebuild the worn shaft with some bronze where it ran in the frame bracket. I got it filed nicely down to fit the bracket, and the fitted the worn lever with a new pin. The looseness in that fit was cured by adding some bronze there also. I was quite proud of my handiwork, until I came to refit the assembly. I had left the frame mounting bracket off! Rather than do more damage trying to remove and refit the lever, I slit the frame bracket, opened it up with heat to get it over the shaft and then closed it down again and welded it shut. After filing the welds, hitting the new metal with soldering flux to accelerate the rusting process, it all looks good again.

Allan from down under.

Henry K. Lee
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Lee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Many
MTFCA Number: 479
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by Henry K. Lee » Sun May 03, 2020 9:16 am

I think everyone who has cut down a driveshaft in their life has done this! Let me raise my hand to join the club!

Hank

Ruxstel24
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hanlon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Touring car
MTFCA Number: 50191
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Ruxstel24 » Sun May 03, 2020 9:33 am

Just curious, is that not a 26-27 torque tube ?

Topic author
Dan B

Post by Dan B » Sun May 03, 2020 11:18 am

That was the only spare driveshaft I had. Fortunately, I’m rebuilding a ‘26-‘27 large drum Ruckstell.
1923 Touring

Retro54
First Name: Andrew
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Cut-down touring
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Retro54 » Sun May 03, 2020 11:37 am

Again, dad and I will learn from your car when working on mine! Now get that together so we can get my rear axle in the jig! Haha kidding brother!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic