Steering column quadrant paint

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Stephen_heatherly
First Name: Stephen
Last Name: Heatherly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 coupe and 23 Runabout

Steering column quadrant paint

Post by Stephen_heatherly » Sat May 16, 2020 2:28 am

I'm currently working on restoring pretty much every part of my 23 runabout all at the same time. The steering column parts are being re-nickled and I got to thinking, what paint should I use on the steering column quadrant? I know it was originally black, but paint scratches off quickly from the levers moving on it and was wondering what you have done on your cars. Any ideas?

Thank you,
Stephen

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Re: Steering column quadrant paint

Post by DanTreace » Sat May 16, 2020 8:45 am

Wear on quadrant is normal and looks quaint. Just don’t thickly prime or heavy paint. Clean to bare metal and single shot of good black enamel.

2A2A6BC8-5815-4707-972D-950C22D7084C.jpeg
Painted in 1988 and shows well the throttling of this T over time. :)
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

ModelTWoods
First Name: Terry
Last Name: Woods
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Model T coupe, 1926 4 door sedan
MTFCI Number: 20180

Post by ModelTWoods » Sat May 16, 2020 11:35 am

Gloss black powdercoat won't scratch and looks nice. I have it on one of my two cars. Extra note: you need to have a quadrant with little wear or take a small triangular file to the grooves before having it powdercoated, as the powdercoating if not applied with a minimum coat, with tend to fill the grooves.

YellowTRacer
First Name: Ed
Last Name: Archer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 replica Transcontinental race car, 1915 2 man race car, 1918 American bodied speedster
MTFCA Number: 19
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 2009

Post by YellowTRacer » Sat May 16, 2020 5:21 pm

You probably won't want to go to this extreme, but bare in mind that the throttle and spark levers are held against the quadrant by spring tension. On my over restored (determined by Walt Rosenthal at a rare MTFCA judging event in the late sixties) light delivery ice cream truck I always lifted up a little as I adjusted the spark and throttle in order to partially save the paint but more importantly to keep from wearing out the teeth on the quadrant. I had that truck for 51 years and the teeth were still sharp.

Ed aka #4

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic