Should I get a Model T or A?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
1194668jc
First Name: John
Last Name: Crespo
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: None! (For now...)

Should I get a Model T or A?

Post by 1194668jc » Tue May 19, 2020 7:44 pm

I'm 16 but love everything old. I am a ham radio operator using Morse code, I use typewriters to type up rough drafts for school, I collect films to watch on my projectors, I photograph with my 1930s 35mm camera, record music on a wire recorder, play ragtime on my 110 year old piano, etc. Now that I am reaching 18 years of age, I must begin to look for a car of choice. To own a Model T Ford was a dream I held since I was in grade school, but now that I have begun to realize it, 35 mph cruising seems a little unreliable. A Ford Model A cruising at 50 (and maybe a little more) seems better. But I don't know anymore. Should I pursue my old dream or stick to something a little more reliable. Or both? I am at $8,200 in my savings so far. I am just so unsure. Any opinions?

Kerry
First Name: Frank
Last Name: van Ekeren
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 touring, 1916 pick-up, 1924 coupe, 1926 touring, 1927 touring

Re: Should I get a Model T or A?

Post by Kerry » Tue May 19, 2020 7:56 pm

A nice dream to have but for todays world best to have a modern and the vintage for a playing with until you know every nut and bolt and all the problems that can see you sitting on the side of the hi-way'

NorthSouth
First Name: Steve
Last Name: California
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Touring, 1912 Warren Speedster
MTFCA Number: 50392

Post by NorthSouth » Tue May 19, 2020 8:17 pm

GET A MODEL T
My grandfather was a doctor when they still made house calls. All he had was a Model T Ford.
Last edited by NorthSouth on Sat May 23, 2020 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rickd
First Name: Rick
Last Name: Duquette
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 Touring, 1914 Touring, 1925 Touring, 1927 PU, 1955 T Bird, 69 Shelby GT 350
MTFCA Number: 21848
MTFCI Number: 22173
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by rickd » Tue May 19, 2020 8:36 pm

Take your time. Get some experience; talk to owners of the cars, go to car shows, join some clubs. You live in Nevada and I am sure there are lots of Model T and Model A clubs around that you can make some contacts with and look at the cars and talk to the owners. When I was your age I dove in and bought my first Model T and I have never looked back. Love 'em, but some of my car friends are Model A people and they have the same passion about their cars as I do. Enjoy yourself and appreciate the fact that you have the opportunity at your young age to learn about, and enjoy this wonderful hobby for many years to come.

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Tue May 19, 2020 8:39 pm

As you may already know when using vintage items - keeping them in usable condition is a concern. So the question for you is; do you have the skill set to work on cars, vintage or other wise. By skill I mean something more than routine maintenance and the associated tools. OR is your intention is to learn to take care of your ride. In any case there are likely to be people in your area well versed on maintaining either the T or A. Find them and then decide
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

JEC
Last Name: Cox
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout, 1925 Pickup

Post by JEC » Tue May 19, 2020 9:10 pm

Anything over 45mph in a model A with the standard rear end ratio will pound out the rod bearings.
I am speaking from my high school days experience.

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Tue May 19, 2020 9:37 pm

There is a very active Model T club of Southern Nevada at Las Vegas. You can find the contact on this club's website. Might be no activities at this time due to COVID, however, I think Nevada is a bit more lenient than California concerning group gatherings. Anyway, see if you can visit someone in that club and check out their T. Actually a good running T will cruise about 40 mph on flat ground or downhill, but does go about 25 up 6%grade. Any grade steeper than that will need lower gears. If you plan to use your ham radio while in the T you might need to modify the ignition system because the magneto will jam AM radio up to about 300' but with a distributor you can use a capacitor or other means to block the RF waves.
The club could also help you get in touch with Model A club members also so you can decide for yourself which would best suit your desires.
The big differences between a T and an A would be in the ignition system and the transmission. The A also has a water pump and an oil pump. Other than that they are both 4 cylinder engines. The A engine is bigger by using a longer bore and stroke than a T.
Norm

Novice
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Davis
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring. 1923/26 Open Express. 1920 depot hack
MTFCA Number: 49832
MTFCI Number: 24686
Board Member Since: 2017

Post by Novice » Tue May 19, 2020 9:38 pm

John. Heed the advice of the man down under. Buy a modern car for Your first car while You are learning and fine tuning Your driving skills. research says it takes most new driver's five years to develop the skill set most seasoned drivers have and the modern car will help keep You out of harms way till then. In the meantime do like Rick and Frank suggested find locals with the Ts and As and learn about them. If You want to get a heads up on driving old cars get a modern car with a manual transmission for your first car. I got My Ham ticket when I was fourteen and My first car was My fathers 1951 Chevy "Hot water Six" 2dr fleetline with three on the tree. which was a manual transmission with a H pattern on the right side of the steering wheel where the model T accelerator / Gas leaver is located. Once You learn to drive a car with a manual transmission its like riding a bike. You never forget and something many under 40 to 50 something folks don't know how to do and many older ones too. It helps prevent Your car being stolen since many auto thieves won't know how to drive it. Good Luck Hope to see You on the air. 73s K5SOH
Attachments
IMG_20180919_135252108_HDR (7)-800x600 Jim and New Toy.jpg

Luke
First Name: Luke
Last Name: P
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926

Post by Luke » Tue May 19, 2020 9:54 pm

John,

Your first car will be a memorable one, no matter what you choose.

Bear in mind that if it's an icon you're looking for then in many respects either the A or the T will do admirably, however as a vehicle to take you places and do lots of trips in etc neither will really be up to the task today. You may just have to borrow something else for such things.

I have both A and T. I probably enjoy the T more because it is really where everything started. Even non-car people can understand that, and mostly they've heard of a Model T. Also I like the skill involved in starting and driving it, even if it's slow.

The A is, arguably, easier to drive and stop. It has twice the power, it's generally stronger and 'bigger' in many respects. They are more conventional by today's standards; as people say, you sit on a Model T, you sit in a Model A.

A the end of the day only you can make the choice, if it's to be either one of the two, but given the things you say I'd suggest it's a T that most fits in with your ethos.

Rick and Frank give good advice - get hold of local people/clubs with A's and T's and spend some time with them. Not only will it give you invaluable background and experience when you come to make the choice you may well find someone who has just what you want and/or would be willing to help you look at what you've found.

That said you should be cautious all the same, not every club member will be an expert and what looks good to them may not necessarily be so. Finding the right person (and car) is part of the rich tapestry of life, and something that has an element of luck about it. Taking care and seeking various views, then distilling them to make your own but informed decision, reduces the 'luck' and decreases the risk - although it cannot, necessarily, eliminate it!

RichardG
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Grzegorowicz
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1921 T pickup

Post by RichardG » Tue May 19, 2020 10:43 pm

DA DA DA DT DA DA DT DA---IF I WERE 50 YEARS YOUNGER, THERE ARE SOME REAL NICE FLAT HEADS OUT THERE JOHN, THERE STREET SMART AND IF YOU LOOK HARD SOME GOOD DEALS OUT THERE, THAT WILL GIVE YOU TIME TO MAKE UP YOUR MIND, GO SLO CHOOSE WISE. THERE WILL ALWAYS BE T ES AND A SE OUT THERE.

Susanne
First Name: Susanne
Last Name: Rohner
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Late '15 touring, "Angel".
MTFCA Number: 464
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Susanne » Tue May 19, 2020 10:55 pm

I started in this silly hobby when I was 12 or so... Had my own model T and a lot fo support then...

I would say T as it's way cooler, and you get instant wasta and bragging rights. After all, ANYONE can drive a 3 on the floor, but how many understand 3 pedals?

Saying that, it'd really your choice... T's can give an awful lo back to you, where A's are 4 years of the blue oval... it would make you part of a rare fraternity... but if you want (or need) a car that will do almost freeway speeds. do an A. Otherwise, if you are daring, and want to be part of something that's been amazing since before you or I were born... go with the older stuff, and OWN it, because you will become someone who kknows more about cars than most...

Steve Jelf
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Tue May 19, 2020 11:35 pm

I will echo what others have said about getting into your local clubs to experience both cars. But for that first daily driver, a modern car (after WWII) would be your best choice, and let the T or A be your pastime. The reason is speed. If you mean to go anywhere more than a few miles from home you will need a car that's comfortable with modern highway speeds. I can take off in my 1915 T for a trip of hundreds of miles because I'm an old retired guy who can take the time to do it. If you have to go to school or work, you don't have enough time off for a long trip in a slow car. BY slow, I mean both T and A. I love the T with its quirks and unique features, but if I have to drive up to Wichita for something that's not sold down here in Podunk I'll go in the Camry so I can get back the same day.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Gonenorth
First Name: Kevin
Last Name: Whelihan
MTFCA Number: 30688
Board Member Since: 2008

Post by Gonenorth » Wed May 20, 2020 7:42 am

Find some A and T owners who are willing to teach (and let you test drive) both. Then go home and drive your folk's vehicle. Use that experience to make your initial decision. What those experiences teach you may help in defining exactly what you want in a vehicle. And, remember...no matter what you buy, that initial investment is only the beginning of the process that empties your wallet on a regular basis.

RustyFords
First Name: Don
Last Name: Allen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50001

Post by RustyFords » Wed May 20, 2020 11:14 am

I was obsessed with pre-war cars when I was your age, and still am.

I wanted an A or a T but ended up with a 54 Ford in 1985 when I was 16, because it was what I could afford. Also, my dad was sure I'd get killed in an A or T because you have to drive so defensively in them. He was probably right.

I bought my first Model A when I was in my 20's and my first T in 2016 and finally made it roadworthy last year. Now I drive it all the time....in traffic, out in the country, etc. However, there's been a small handfull of times that my hard-earned driving experience has kept me from getting smacked hard by inatentive drivers.

So I humbly recommend that you get a relatively modern beater for a while, then do your research and get the T that you really want. Then you'll have your beater to run errands in and when the inevitable accident happens with it, you won't be crushed (literally or figuratively).

Best of luck to you.

Don
1924 Touring

halftracknut
First Name: randy
Last Name: lee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 pickup

Post by halftracknut » Wed May 20, 2020 11:31 am

Ok, I may not have been around as long of some of the members here but I do remember 18 years of age....soo buy the Model T or A chicks dig old cars.....park the antique....buy a nice mustang or ? .....and invite the girls over to see your old car....there you have it best of both worlds... ;) ....rl

Dallas Landers
First Name: Dallas
Last Name: Landers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Rpu, 23 TT, 24 coupe,
MTFCA Number: 49995

Post by Dallas Landers » Wed May 20, 2020 12:17 pm

My story, same as Don. My 1st car was a 53 chevy in 1985 pruchased from a junkyard and drove it. My T had to wait because I bought my 1st house as a Jr. In high school. Look at you next step in life and what you see yourself doing in a few years. If you still think a T or A is a good choice for you then go for it. Some good advice has been given above so weigh your options after contacting a club and possibly driving both and seeing what it takes to keep them on the road.
Great to see so much interest in someone your age and yes they are chick magnets.

Dan B
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Blaydon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Touring

Post by Dan B » Wed May 20, 2020 1:07 pm

Here’s some advice from someone who likes old stuff like you and bought their first Model T project at age 12 a little over 20 years ago. Take it for what it’s worth.

1. Neither a Model A or Model T are candidates for being a daily driver in modern traffic. If anyone tells you different they are not being honest with you. If you are okay with this, move on to #2.

2. Your money will go much further with a Model T than an A. You can easily find a Model T with the minimum amount of mechanical work done to it to make it safe for less than $10k.

3. Save your money buy a running driving car. Do not buy a project. There is enough upkeep with any old car that they can all be considered “a project”. You do not need to start at ground zero. That’s what I did and I didn’t have a running driving car until I had a real job and real money many years later.

4. Buy a car from a Model T person. You might be able to find one on Craigslist that “was running but no longer turns over..restored by my Dad 30 years ago... converted over to modern electric fuel pump...etc etc etc”. Buyer beware. A Model T person will not only sell you the car but give you an education on it.

The classified section of this forum is a great reference for determining value and one way to find good cars from Model T folks:

viewforum.php?f=4

5. Figure out a way to drive or ride in one before buying one. A local museum or car club might be able to help. It should let you know if it’s for you or not. Driving a Model T is a very unique experience. I would say it’s enjoyable but not relaxing. Especially if traffic is involved.

I do not want to discourage you because owning a Model T could be one of the most rewarding experiences you could have. But like most things in life, a little education is the difference between success or failure.
1923 Touring

Steve Jelf
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Wed May 20, 2020 1:47 pm

Good advice from Dan, but I would add to #1 that your elderly car can be an almost daily driver depending on where you live. Some places are very antique-unfriendly, others not so bad.

I agree that a Model T gives you more bang for the buck. A Model A will generally cost more than a similar Model T.

I also agree on buying the best you can afford. Make that first one a car you can use and enjoy. Leave the project that will take years for later.

Here are a couple of pages on Model T shopping if you decide to go that route:

http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG98.html

http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG99.html

And just for entertainment: http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG74.html
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Topic author
1194668jc
Last Name: Crespo
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: None! (For now...)

Post by 1194668jc » Wed May 20, 2020 4:12 pm

Thank you so much for all of your guys advice. I spoke to my father yesterday of my dream and he decided to give me our old 1998 Honda Odyssey for my normal modern car. When I move to Florida, I can make the arrangements to educate myself with Model Ts (because (I no longer have the pressing need for a slightly faster car with my ownership of a Honda). Then, I will find my way to working on a few vehicles and test driving a few Ts (if possible).

Novice
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Davis
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring. 1923/26 Open Express. 1920 depot hack
MTFCA Number: 49832
MTFCI Number: 24686
Board Member Since: 2017

Post by Novice » Wed May 20, 2020 4:44 pm

GREAT News! The Honda Odyssey will be a good first vehicle. Large. reasonably safe. and Room up front for You ham rig. and plenty of room in the back for hauling model T parts. Probably can put a trailer hitch on the back to haul Your future model T around. Might want to put a back up camera on it if it doesn't have one. 73s Good Luck. Dah Dit Dah Dit Dit

Dan B
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Blaydon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Touring

Post by Dan B » Wed May 20, 2020 6:08 pm

1194668jc wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 4:12 pm
Thank you so much for all of your guys advice. I spoke to my father yesterday of my dream and he decided to give me our old 1998 Honda Odyssey for my normal modern car. When I move to Florida, I can make the arrangements to educate myself with Model Ts (because (I no longer have the pressing need for a slightly faster car with my ownership of a Honda). Then, I will find my way to working on a few vehicles and test driving a few Ts (if possible).

Great move. It’s all downhill from here (especially if you have Model T brakes hah hah).

Good luck with your search. Let us know if we can weigh in on your decision once you start shopping around. You will get lots of opinions on this forum but everyone is willing to help.
1923 Touring

Nv Bob
First Name: Bob
Last Name: Middleton
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 18 roadster 1810 brand X

Post by Nv Bob » Wed May 20, 2020 7:32 pm

Be like alot of us here and own both
Although sold both my A and T to concentrate on my steam prodjects witch includes a Stanley

Gil Fitzhugh
First Name: Gilbert
Last Name: Fitzhugh
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 touring
MTFCI Number: 20696

Post by Gil Fitzhugh » Wed May 20, 2020 11:26 pm

To play with early cars, you have to be at least pleasantly loopy. To play with steam cars, you have to be certifiably insane. I know; I have one. I've had As and Ts; for the last 19 years I've had a T but not an A. Get a T. They're a hoot. (But, since I'm certifiably insane, why would you listen to me?)

Roverdriver
First Name: Dane
Last Name: Hawley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Nil

Post by Roverdriver » Thu May 21, 2020 4:38 am

While I love and admire the T, it is only really practical as a daily driver if needed only for short distances. The T is good for long distance driving and touring if one can find reasonably quiet roads and keep away from busy multi-lane roads and have the time to get there.

On the other hand, my experiences with the A shows that if it is properly maintained, it is quite a useable daily driver. I had many of them and kept one which my wife and I restored in 1972. We used it regularly for both local daily operations as well as long distance trips. on the distant ones we towed a trailer with our camping gear.

When we restored it I fitted 30 thou oversize pistons and had a minute amount of metal ground from the head and block just to true it up. New cast whitemetal bearings on rods and mains. I made sure that as well as good linings, the brake linkages were set up as ex-factory.

I regularly drove at 60+ miles an hour wherever circumstances allowed. A couple of our longest trip were in excess of 5,000 miles and on one, the road had a section of 248 miles that was unsealed. We had very little trouble with the car, but regretfully sold it 18 years and 200,000 miles after the restoration.

I would strongly recommend the A for hard regular work, but the T for more fun.

Here is a brief video of one of our trips. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_TfYlVUnrQ

tdump
First Name: Mack
Last Name: Cole
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: TT. T express pickup,speedster project.
MTFCA Number: 28146

Post by tdump » Thu May 21, 2020 11:50 am

T or A for a first car? Eh, A truck that can tow a trailer to haul the T would be a better first vehical. A good pickup truck with a trailer hitch. T's are alot of fun,but even with the limited driving I am able to do around here,I find myself having to be very careful of the other drivers out there or I would get ran over like a toad.
If you can't help em, don't hinder em'

ryanf1023
First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Fenrich
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster Project

Post by ryanf1023 » Fri May 22, 2020 9:13 pm

I was actually in a similar boat as you. I posted in the old forum almost 5 years ago; you can read that thread here:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/50 ... 1438469669

I'm almost 23, but I bought my first antique car at 19, but I went with a Model A. My goal and dream was always a T. I spent a large part of my childhood researching, drawing, and occasionally seeing and riding in the Ts. The summer before I bought my car though, I had a chance to drive a Model A, and started learning about them.

Long story short, I figured that a Model A would be a much more suitable "first time" antique car. I've been able to take it on the highway comfortably, and go on tours and events with my car club that I just couldn't do with a T, or at the very least, much easier and without stress on the car. The budget was obviously a shortfall (a mediocre cosmetic but well running T is significantly less than an A in the same condition). My dad loaned me the remaining money that I was short, and I spent the summer working two full time jobs before working one full time job with university until it was paid off.

My heart is still with Model Ts. I love them to death and cherish every time I'm able to get behind the wheel. But my Model A has been able to give me memories and driving experiences that a Model T just couldn't, especially for a green driver like myself. As others have alluded to, my A is not bone-stock; it does have 35 wires and slightly later suspension, 39 hydraulic brakes, and a 56 1/2 ton Mercury steering box among other period parts to aid in the driving. However, it's still an A trans and a Model B 4 for the drive train, so it is a Model A at heart.

Whatever you choose, there will be pros and cons to both. Focus on the pros, and you'll never get tired of the car.

On a practicality note:
-Finding antique insurance before age 25 was 95% of the problem.
-I wouldn't be able to have gotten the car had I not had a garage space (and I still store it in wintertime).
-My local club has helped me with knowledge and repairs; it would not see half of the road time it does without them.
-Don't trust other drivers. They don't understand the limitations with old cars, nor have near as much patience as they should
-Make sure you have a daily driver. Most insurance companies will have this caveat for antique policies.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic