cherry picker arm length

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
dhosh
First Name: Dennis
Last Name: Hoshield
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '24 RPU (Raodster converted to Pickup)
MTFCA Number: 24305
Board Member Since: 2015

cherry picker arm length

Post by dhosh » Tue May 19, 2020 8:18 pm

Now that I have found a cracked break drum, I will need to pull the engine to get at it to do the rebuild.

Unfortunately, I am not at my car to take any measurements. I can look at a cherry picker tomorrow, to see if it will work for me. If it does, I can borrow it for a couple weeks. Does anyone have a measurement from the lift point on the motor, to the front of the car, so I can see if this lift's arm is long enough? It's a Pittsburg with foldable legs, I think, but other than that, I'll have to see i when I get there.

My grandson has a Jeep with a winch mounted on the front bumper... I thought about running it's cable to a 4" pully (rated at 3,000 lbs), attached to a steel beamed rafter. (Heavy steel building), as an option.

Thanks in advance....
'24 RPU
Petoskey, Mi

Russ T Fender
First Name: Val
Last Name: Soupios
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '10 touring, '12 touring, '13 hack, '14 runabout, '14 touring, '14 speedster, '22 centerdoor, '27 touring

Re: cherry picker arm length

Post by Russ T Fender » Tue May 19, 2020 8:38 pm

I am assuming what you are referring to as a cherry picker is a portable engine hoist. Most engine hoists have an adjustable hoist arm that you can slide in or out depending on the weight of the engine. The further in the heavier load it can take On mine you can slide it all the way out for a T and that gives you plenty of clearance. I don't know what a Pittsburg looks like but I have never seen an engine hoist that would not work for a T, even the ones sold by Harbor Freight.

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Tue May 19, 2020 8:59 pm

Russ, you triggered my brain cells putting 0 + 1 to come up with Pittsburgh as in Harbor Freight -- https://www..com/1-ton-capacity-foldable-shop-crane-61858.html
Attachments
hoist 3.jpg
hoist 2.jpg
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Tue May 19, 2020 9:11 pm

A model T engine -transmission unit balances somewhere between cylinders three and four. Variations for hogshead types, starter or not, engine head or not and other things.
I went down and measured my '15 runabout. Thirty inches full reach should be more than enough. Twenty-six inches would likely work. I have never seen a hoist made for automobile engines that cannot handle a model T engine. Although I did once use one helping a friend that the hoist was so cheap and small it almost didn't lift high enough (I had to give a half inch "Hoomph" to get it to clear the front cross member.
I have had a HF one for over fifteen years that does fine. I used it putting the engine into my '15.

Dan_Jensen
First Name: Daniel
Last Name: Jensen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Touring
MTFCA Number: 31955

Post by Dan_Jensen » Tue May 19, 2020 9:20 pm

[image]
20181007_101904.jpg
20181007_101904.jpg (28.6 KiB) Viewed 4369 times
[/image]

This worked for me twice. The legs on a Pittsburgh engine hoist will go under the front axle.
1923 Touring low radiator

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Tue May 19, 2020 9:41 pm

Most engine hoists that are being talked about on this post have an extendable arm so the length shouldn’t be an issue. The one shown in the pic is almost identical to the Harbour freight version I bought a while back and probably made at the same place as others in this price range.
Summit Racing also has one for the same price. If there is a Summit Racing store near you
that would be great.
They sell lots of other Automotive supplies for just about everything.

Topic author
dhosh
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '24 RPU (Raodster converted to Pickup)

Post by dhosh » Tue May 19, 2020 10:02 pm

Very good,call... I think my friend's looks exactly like the one in TRDxb2 (?)'s post. It's arm is extended all the way... It just seemed short. I don't have the poster's name, but will check it's horizontal reach tomorrow.

By the sounds of everybody... Looks like it should work fine!
'24 RPU
Petoskey, Mi

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Wed May 20, 2020 2:24 pm

The arm length is OK or adjust to your preference. The two legs roll up under the car so you can get directly over the engine and you can use a short chain with a hook to go through the eye bolt that’s screwed into the next to last spark plug hole. I think that’s where I screwed the eyebolt into on my last engine pull.
In my case I rolled the car backwards and lowered the engine. It just depends on your set up which way you do it.

Topic author
dhosh

Post by dhosh » Wed May 20, 2020 8:08 pm

Yes... I've used them before... His arm was extended all the way out, but appeared too short... And I was there today, and forgot to measure it! Maybe tomorrow
'24 RPU
Petoskey, Mi

RajoRacer
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Tomaso
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1919 Centerdoor, 1924 TT C-Cab Express, 1925 Racer
MTFCA Number: 14972
MTFCI Number: 15411
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by RajoRacer » Wed May 20, 2020 10:48 pm

That picker will work - I have the same and have removed & installed dozens of T power plants with it.

Topic author
dhosh

Post by dhosh » Thu May 21, 2020 9:22 am

Very good, bro RojoRacer!

Thanks for the confirmation!

Dennis
'24 RPU
Petoskey, Mi

OilyBill
First Name: William
Last Name: May
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Runabout

Post by OilyBill » Mon May 25, 2020 6:40 pm

There was an article about 30 years ago, about how to remove a Model T engine, BY YOURSELF, WITH NO HOIST. The guy had pictures showing him tilting it up and over and out of the frame, resting it gently at each point so he could move to the new heaving point to continue the process. he not only took it out that way, but after he was done working on it, he put it back in by himself, by reversing the process!
But I'd rather have the hoist!

DHort
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hjortnaes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 20 touring
MTFCA Number: 28762
MTFCI Number: 22402

Post by DHort » Tue May 26, 2020 12:21 am

I never heard Bruce Banner owned a Model T.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic