Drive Plate Assembly Question

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Marshall V. Daut
First Name: Marshall
Last Name: Daut
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Coupe

Drive Plate Assembly Question

Post by Marshall V. Daut » Sat May 23, 2020 1:07 pm

I am putting the drive plate assembly back together in our '26-27 T engine/transmission project, which is in my friend's 1924 Coupe.. There is a minor concern on my part. When I disassembled the clutch two months ago, I put all the pieces from the drive plate assembly in a box to keep them together. Yesterday I put the pieces back together and everything seemed to fit fine, nothing left over. But last night I was reading through the MTFCA transmission booklet to double-check my work and I am now wondering if a part is missing. On page 10 is a diagram of the transmission assembly order. I noticed a piece that wasn't inside our transmission, namely the clutch spring thrust ring. I have added an arrow in the attached scan to show which piece I am referring to. Yet on the previous page in the manual, a similar "exploded" view is shown without this piece. I have included that drawing here, too. This is the way our transmission is = no thrust ring. Is this an early year transmission piece that was discontinued later? I see no differentiation in the booklet to identify the drawings as "early" or "late". Should I be concerned? Did I assemble the drive plate correctly, which matches the drawing sequence and parts on page 9? Or is the clutch spring thrust ring already inside the clutch spring support in the diagram on page 9, which is why it is not shown?
Marshall
Attachments
T transmission diagram__Page 9.jpg
T transmission diagram_Page 10.jpg

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Re: Drive Plate Assembly Question

Post by Mark Gregush » Sat May 23, 2020 1:40 pm

You do not need that part. It was used in earlier retainers. Yours will have a notch the pin sits in pressed as part of it.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16310

Post by Original Smith » Sat May 23, 2020 2:38 pm

The late T’s don’t use that part.

Topic author
Marshall V. Daut
First Name: Marshall
Last Name: Daut
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Coupe

Post by Marshall V. Daut » Sat May 23, 2020 9:48 pm

Thanks, guys! That's JUST what I wanted to hear! :) I can sleep easy again.
Marshall

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic