Fun Projects VR

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Inthegarage
First Name: John
Last Name: Mosher
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Roadster pick up
MTFCA Number: 49626

Fun Projects VR

Post by Inthegarage » Thu May 28, 2020 5:23 pm

The T that I bought came to me with a 8 volt battery. The car sat for approximately 10 years. During the start up to getting it back to a safe drivable T again. I want to convert it back to a 6v system. I have a John Regan 8 volt voltage regulator # 5055R-8V It does have a letter A on the bottom. In the instructions states it can be used for 6 or 8 volt. I just wanna check to see if I’m Reading this right. Am I??
Thanks

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Re: Fun Projects VR

Post by TRDxB2 » Thu May 28, 2020 5:34 pm

The instructions are saying you need a 8 volt battery and the 6 volt generator. Then to adjust for the proper amp output. Not sure what you need to convert everything should for a 6 volt system - starter, maybe bulbs? 8volt battery is available from golf cart sellers and some marine. Not sure about your reference to an A as an indicator of the type - thought it was the screw pattern on the underside. I'm looking for info on that
http://www.funprojects.com/products/5055r.cfm
"WARNING!! - This voltage regulator is for use on standard Ford Model T 6 volt negative ground generator/8volt battery systems only. Permanent damage can result if the voltage regulator is connected even momentarily to any other system using 6 or 12 volt battery
Last edited by TRDxB2 on Thu May 28, 2020 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Topic author
Inthegarage
Last Name: Mosher
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Roadster pick up
MTFCA Number: 49626

Post by Inthegarage » Thu May 28, 2020 5:45 pm

Thanks!! Now I understand stand What I’m reading. I can’t use it Bottom line. Dam :evil: well does any one know where I can get a 6VR?

TRDxB2

Post by TRDxB2 » Thu May 28, 2020 6:08 pm

Why do you think you can't use it? Doesn't look like they are available yet sourced from Birdhaven (owns FunProjects & Texas T now). Bob Bergstadt had one awhile ago, likely sold it. There was another brand is sold through Snyder's - looks like its no longer available. It claimed up to a full 20amps output but MTFCA forums says never more than 12 amps or burn up your generator - output is controlled by the third brush in the generator so it can be used
Attachments
FUN  P.jpg
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

TRDxB2

Post by TRDxB2 » Thu May 28, 2020 6:44 pm

Not sure if they still make them. This is the one that puts out "up to" so amps but you should set the 3rd brush between 10-12 amps jus the same as Fun=Projects https://www.nurex.com/generator-cut-out ... ive-ground
Attachments
Nu-Rex.jpg
Mick Jagger

Kerry
Last Name: van Ekeren
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 touring, 1916 pick-up, 1924 coupe, 1926 touring, 1927 touring

Post by Kerry » Thu May 28, 2020 6:58 pm

Why go back to 6v? buy a 8v and be done with it, you wont be sorry in doing so.

TRDxB2

Post by TRDxB2 » Thu May 28, 2020 9:31 pm

Kerry wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 6:58 pm
Why go back to 6v? buy a 8v and be done with it, you wont be sorry in doing so.
I agree 100%: you get the best of both worlds. More LED bulbs are available and shine brighter. 8 volt batteries for golf carts are deep cycle, meaning that they can be recharged more often than convention car batteries and are available for about the same price. And your still period correct. You never know someone may want to trade their FP 6V for your FP 8V - :(
Mick Jagger

DHort
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hjortnaes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 20 touring
MTFCA Number: 28762
MTFCI Number: 22402

Post by DHort » Thu May 28, 2020 11:21 pm

Send a PM to John Regan, or find his number and call him. Great guy to talk to.

MKossor
First Name: Mike
Last Name: Kossor
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Touring
MTFCI Number: 22706

Post by MKossor » Fri May 29, 2020 6:54 am

The Nu-Rex Generator Cut Out (Semi-Conductor Type) js NOT a voltage regulator. It does not "put out" up to 20A; I believe it is just a Diode cut out capable of passing up to 20A of current through it which is apparently the same current ratings as the original cut out contacts. The FP VR is a completely different product with much improved functionality.
I-Timer + ECCT Adjusted Coils = Best Model T Engine Performance Possible!
www.modeltitimer.com www.modeltecct.com

TRDxB2

Post by TRDxB2 » Fri May 29, 2020 10:35 am

MKossor wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 6:54 am
The Nu-Rex Generator Cut Out (Semi-Conductor Type) js NOT a voltage regulator. It does not "put out" up to 20A; I believe it is just a Diode cut out capable of passing up to 20A of current through it which is apparently the same current ratings as the original cut out contacts. The FP VR is a completely different product with much improved functionality.
You are correct it is just a cutout I got GOOGLED bad. Like so many search engines they provide unwanted alternatives mixed in with what you asked for. I should have caught it. Sorry for the misinformation Frank
Attachments
Google Bad.jpg
Mick Jagger

Piewagon
Last Name: Regan
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Open Runabout, 1911 Touring, 1912 Delivery Cars (2), 1915 Roadster, 1916 Roadster, 1923 Touring Car
MTFCA Number: 14725
MTFCI Number: 77
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Piewagon » Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:23 am

I almost regret ever making the 8V version of the VR. I always tried to talk a customer into sticking with 6V mainly because at the time there were no LED headlights let alone any 8V ones. You get very very short bulb life when you apply 9.1+ volts to a 6 V bulb which should only get about 7.0V when charging. 9.1+ is about what you have to go to in order to charge the 8V battery and actually the battery would like it to be higher. The 8V unit CAN be converted to 6V without too much trouble other than one MUST grind the underside at the spot welds to get the top cover off. Don't do that since you can wreck the VR completely. The A on the bottom clearly marks it as an 8V unit while a B on the bottom makes it a 12V unit. No letters means it is a 6V unit. As the OP whoever has the 8V unit should send me a PM and lets talk BEFORE you attempt to open it up. That could cause trouble.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic