"I promise you this, pal..."

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
1194668jc
First Name: John
Last Name: Crespo
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: None! (For now...)

"I promise you this, pal..."

Post by 1194668jc » Fri May 29, 2020 10:46 pm

It was the final few days of my 7th grade year. Everyone was studying, I being one of the few to study my hardest in the library. Then from out of the blue, my best (and only) friend comes up from behind me with one of his characteristic squeals and a slap on my back. He has what he likes to call a slow brain which gives him a speech impediment and makes it hard for him to learn things in school. I look up and offer him the chair next to me. He seats himself and he pulls out his binder. Out from a folder he pulled out a drawing of the Titanic he drew for me. I was ecstatic about it. It had been 6 years since I first fell in the love with ship, beginning on the 100th anniversary of the ships demise. Then, I noticed something peculiar drawn above the bow. It was a crane lowering a small purple car.
"Since you like T's...T's...uh, Model T's so much, I d-d-drew the one they put on the Titanic," he told me.
Looking up from the drawing, I corrected him, "Actually, it was a Renault, but I can see why people would mistaken it for a T."
Embarrassed, he pulled away the drawing. "Oh, whoops," and he then pulled out a pencil from his pocket and scribbled the car black. "There, n-n-now it's a, uh, it's a...a...Model T."
He and I laughed at a level louder than appropriate for a library and I took the drawing back and thanked him for it, and slid it into my typewriter case (because the briefcase my dad used in the 1960s and gave to me broke).
He and I returned to our work and we continued studying. After a half-hour, he taps my shoulder. "I know that-that you like old stuff and-and-and really want a M-M-Model T, but when you g-g-get one will y-you drive me?"
I turned in my chair and gave my friend an Oliver Hardy look when Stan Laurel gives him a good idea. With as much a transatlantic accent I could give, I said "I promise you this, pal. I says I promise you this. When I get myself that shaking car, you and I is going to school together in it."
He smiled at me and stuck his hand out for me to shake. "Yes sir," he said as I shook it.

Nearly three years have passed. My dear friend would never see the day I drive him to school in a Model T.

One day, I'll get myself enough hard earned money. One day, I'll get myself that flivver. And one day, I'll drive to school in it with my friend, me in the driver seat, and the small portion of his ashes I was given in the passenger seat.

Wayfarer
First Name: Cory
Last Name: Woerth
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 engine on a stand, Canadian '23 center door
Board Member Since: 2020

Re: "I promise you this, pal..."

Post by Wayfarer » Fri May 29, 2020 11:59 pm

I have the ashes of a dear friend in a metal locket / vial thing inside the handlebars of the Harley I bought from his widow. I think about him every time I climb on.

Roverdriver
First Name: Dane
Last Name: Hawley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Nil

Post by Roverdriver » Sat May 30, 2020 2:21 am

A fantastic goal, to get your T. and a wonderful story.

TWrenn
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Wrenn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13 Touring, '26 "Overlap" Fordor
MTFCA Number: 30701
MTFCI Number: 24033
Board Member Since: 2019

Post by TWrenn » Sat May 30, 2020 10:17 am

John, thanks for sharing that wonderful, touching story. Sad that it is, it's good you have memories of the better moments.
May he rest in peace, may you get your flivver soon. God bless young man.

Chad_Marcheese
First Name: Chad
Last Name: Marcheese
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Cut Off Touring / Pickup, 1923 Doodlebug / 1924 Speedster Gow Job
MTFCA Number: 26904
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Chad_Marcheese » Sat May 30, 2020 8:31 pm

No one can ever replace true friendship. I hope you are able to eventually get a T. Hang around here enough and might happen sooner than you think.

frontyboy
First Name: dick
Last Name: dock
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: T sprint cars

Post by frontyboy » Sun May 31, 2020 10:35 am

My father attended Hershey for many many years, it was his most favorite antique car activity. In the early years he would stay on the grounds to get up early to find the parts and pieces he needed. In later years the Hershey Hotel was his headquarters. When he passed away I thought a perfect place for him to be was the Hershey Fall Meet.

So after cremation, his ashes were spread on the various swap fields. Interesting now those fields are hard covered which makes his final resting place permanent. A rather fitting resting place for a very early and avid brass era antique car collector and restorer.

frontyboy

RustyFords
First Name: Don
Last Name: Allen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50001

Post by RustyFords » Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:03 pm

That's some nice prose John.

I enjoyed reading it.

Sorry about your bud...that's rough.
1924 Touring

Duey_C
First Name: Duane
Last Name: Cooley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 18 Runabout, 24 Runabout for 20yrs, 25 TT, late Center Door project, open express pickup
MTFCA Number: 32488
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by Duey_C » Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:23 pm

Seriously cool John.
When that day comes. :)
Since I lost my mind mind, I feel more liberated

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic