BIG PROBLEMS WITH SHIPPING

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Henry K. Lee
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Lee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Many
MTFCA Number: 479
MTFCA Life Member: YES

BIG PROBLEMS WITH SHIPPING

Post by Henry K. Lee » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:39 pm

I hope I am the only one, but I have had now in the past 2 months delivered but not received items to people requesting parts. Three total now, either porch thieves and post office workers with attitude delivering an empty box. I don’t have that problem here so much in the south, it’s a southern thing. So for now on, the receiver must pay all shipping and insurance on items, some will require signature depending on price and item. I have lost over a $1,000.00 plus. Very uncool.

I am a little torqued off by lazy people!

Hank in Tin-A-See

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Re: BIG PROBLEMS WITH SHIPPING

Post by Scott_Conger » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:12 pm

Hank, that is truely a bummer!

I only ship with tracking and insurance. You can see where the box is at all times and it is scanned at delivery. The customer always pays for shipping and insurance. So far, never lost a shipment. I've had 3 cases of the promise of a check, and one "the check is in the mail", and yet nothing arrives. Nothing goes out until I get the check, if I do not know the buyer. In each of those cases, the "buyer" was someone with little time on the forum, and no known history of successful purchases. The T community is better than most, but not without it's clinkers.

As an aside, I DID have trouble once where a shipper sent my package to the address on the check and not the address I specified. My check had my recent old address on it (ouch). Shipment was 3 boxes. New owners refused to admit they had the boxes and after 3 month wrestling match, managed to "find" 2 of the 3 boxes. I had to pick up when I went back to FL on business. They would NOT ship or take a check to do so. You'd think I'd ripped them off on the house sale...it only went up 18% in value over their purchase price in the year they've owned it. Sheesh.

I wish you better luck in the future!
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Ruxstel24
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hanlon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Touring car
MTFCA Number: 50191
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Ruxstel24 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:16 pm

USPS ??
I have a package that they put the wrong zip code on the label. I had the right one and the wife didn't catch the mistake, I did when sending the tracking number.
Big fiasco !! :evil:
Don't get me started on my postal delivery person !! :?

Scott_Conger

Post by Scott_Conger » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:25 pm

Dave, that's odd. At our PO, they input the address into the computer which validates or refuses the zip/address on it's merits, and I have to "accept" the address on the computer screen on the counter with each shipment. I review every address on every box...
Scott Conger

Rob Patterson
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Patterson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '21 Canadian built Aust'n Bodied (Steenbohms) Touring & '15 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2003

Post by Rob Patterson » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:34 pm

Shipping has always posed problems of varying degrees.....and probably always will.
Here in the Antipodes we pay BIG shipping costs and still things can go wrong. Eg; I have a new Brassworks radiator that flew across the Pacific no less than 3 times, thanks to FedEx messing up.
"When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it." HENRY FORD

Ruxstel24
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hanlon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Touring car
MTFCA Number: 50191

Post by Ruxstel24 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:36 pm

Scott_conger wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:25 pm
Dave, that's odd. At our PO, they input the address into the computer which validates or refuses the zip/address on it's merits, and I have to "accept" the address on the computer screen on the counter with each shipment. I review every address on every box...
Our local PO was very busy, she went to the next town where the granddaughter lives. She said the guy didn't ask her to verify. :roll:
I had to pay to stop it and return and if I in fact did have the zip right, they will reimburse me...They made an 8 a 6 basically.
I should have it tomorrow or so.

Scott_Conger

Post by Scott_Conger » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:32 pm

Bummer!
Scott Conger

modernbeat
First Name: Jason
Last Name: McDaniel
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 Roadster / 1926 Pickup / 1926 Express-Camper
MTFCA Number: 50306

Post by modernbeat » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:41 pm

I have 100% of the stuff I order shipped to my work address. Even Amazon junk, which they sometimes try to deliver after hours. Nothing gets stolen. Nothing shows up missing.

The only time I don't receive a package is when the shipper can't provide a tracking number. :evil:
Jason McDaniel

RustyFords
First Name: Don
Last Name: Allen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50001

Post by RustyFords » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:50 pm

Wow Hank. That sucks.

I’m glad I received my driveshaft without any issues.
1924 Touring

FreighTer Jim
First Name: James
Last Name: Jarzabek
MTFCA Number: 29562
MTFCI Number: 24398
Board Member Since: 2008

Solution

Post by FreighTer Jim » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:13 pm

modernbeat wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:41 pm
I have 100% of the stuff I order shipped to my work address. Even Amazon junk, which they sometimes try to deliver after hours. Nothing gets stolen. Nothing shows up missing.

The only time I don't receive a package is when the shipper can't provide a tracking number. :evil:
If you are selling parts - have the Buyer choose the method of shipping in writing
before you ship.

Recommend delivery to a business address - recommend insurance - recommend a signature confirming
delivery - recommend a tracking number you both can monitor.

Agree in writing that theft - loss - damage claims will be covered by insurance claim only.

Not by refunding out of the Seller’s pocket.

The method of shipping should be determined by the Buyer.

FJ
Google “ Model T Transport “
MTFCA - MTFCI - MAFCA Member

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:40 am

Be aware that USPS insurance is worthless if you don't have a store receipt for the item they lost. VOE
Last edited by Steve Jelf on Sun Jun 19, 2022 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Rob Patterson
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Patterson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '21 Canadian built Aust'n Bodied (Steenbohms) Touring & '15 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2003

Post by Rob Patterson » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:22 am

I'll give praise where its due......
Over about 3 decades I've been importing stuff for old cars, model railways, dolls houses etc etc, from the USofA. (The UK and Japan are another story)
In that time I've found that the USPS has been far more reliable than UPS and FedEx. DHL has been good too, but I haven't used them much to really compare. Having said that, I reckon that its probably less than 1% of UPS & FedEx shipments to my home address (here in Australia), that have had problems.
Consequently I use USPS where/when ever I can.
Cheers,
Rob
"When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it." HENRY FORD

Grizwaldo
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Grisbee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 0

Post by Grizwaldo » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:36 pm

With most items I ship that are too big for a flatrate box I always ship Fedex with Direct Signature where someone needs to sign for it,the driver is not supposed to leave it on the porch or around the neighborhood where it can walk away. This costs an extra amount usually around $5. UPS did everything they could to discourage my business and it finally worked,Fedex has been great for me,nothing lost or damaged. 42 years Hemmings advertiser and seller.

Dropacent
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Morsher
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925TT, 1926 Martin-Parry bodied wagon, 1927 mercury bodied speedster

Post by Dropacent » Sun Jun 19, 2022 3:08 pm

We do a LOT of shipping. We love our postal people, and always have. I expect we always will. In my 50 plus years of selling car parts, the only thing that ever gets lost is peoples checks sent to us. I’ll let you figure that out. We had two checks supposedly sent from someone that never arrived. Then , they gave us an attitude over it. They are on our “ NO SALE “ list. It’s a very small list, but problem solved. There are plenty of buyers with no drama involved, and hopefully friends for life. The only thing that ever has gotten damaged, is when I have chinched out on the packing job. Trying to cut down on the package size will bite you in the ass. It recently did on a magneto I sent out. Too small of package cost me the best parts of another mag, so what did I really save? IF YOU CAN HEAR SOMETHING SHIFTING OR MOVING AROUND IN A BOX, ITS TOO SMALL AND NOT ENOUGH PADDING ! It’s easy to fall in that trap with increased shipping costs, but not worth it in the long run.
As Steve said insurance is really a waste. For fedex it’s worthwhile, but you better be able to document how it was packed and what it’s worth. For postal , I’ll take what they give me for free, but a super packing job is the BEST insurance. I can say they never lose anything.
We formerly sent things out before payment, but found some of those deals never got paid for , so very seldom do that now. Nothing personal, just easier to manage.
We very seldom ever even step foot in a post office, so how do you beat that ? If you haven’t checked into postal rate A , B, or C boxes, you are missing a great value. Just recd something the other day that cost the GUY ( me and him ) double what rate A would have been.
Let the buyer decide? Not gonna happen here. Sounds like advice from someone that rarely ships anything and has plenty of time for phone or computer tag. K.I.S.S. !!

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)

Post by TRDxB2 » Sun Jun 19, 2022 4:24 pm

I have had 2 lost international shipments with USPS. One was eventually found and the postage was refunded. The second refunded the insurance & postage. 2 Continental claims paid as well. I always deal online as well, not with the local post master.
These are rules I now follow: always to include an see-thru invoice packet on the outside of the package with from & to names and addresses. The second is to tape completely around that outside of the box (sides) and any easy opening perforated edge. I also secure and heavy items to a flat piece of cardboard to prevent them from breaking through a side of the box. I have received an entirely empty boxs, small flat rate, that was marked by some distribution point as "empty" with the easy opening side ripped open, another box where the contents ripped the ends open. Both were bolts - apparently they box was traveling at a high rate of speed ad stopped suddenly launching the contents into the oblivion :shock:
--
--
Had issues with FedEx deliveries as well. Package left by my mail box next to the curb, another to a customer dropped into the weeds (rainy day too) 200 feet along side the lane to their house. I received front wheel hubs , visibly showing through the torn package - they made no attempt to secure it

Still my preference is USPS
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:18 pm

Here in Australia we have official AUSTRALIA POST offices and Licensed Post Offices, run by individuals as their own business. You can guess where you get the better service.
I have yet to have a posted parcel go astray, but Australia post did their best with one of our wool customers. Her parcel did not arrive, so I sent her the tracking number. The PO advised that it had been delivered to Sydney and would get to her soon. A week later it turned up back with us, so I phoned the PO help line and they proudly sent me the photo taken at the address site. They didn't quite know what to say when I told them that was our place. The parcel had been to Sydney. There the hand printed felt pen address on the sack was ignored. Some bright spark had then missed the TO address in the clear invoice attached envelope and noted the From address. So back it came to us! To top it all off, we had to pay another set of postage costs before they would accept it for sending, and then wait for reimbursement.

Allan from down under.

Gene_French
First Name: Gene
Last Name: French
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Roadster pkup.
MTFCA Number: 15614
Board Member Since: 2014

Post by Gene_French » Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:10 pm

Henry:
i have had 2 linebore units go missing in the past 3 years ... and yes i did learn pay EXTRA insurance on the package ... not sure why i should pay extra to have the job done right ! we are being conditioned to accept the work of 60% ers ...always an optimist ...Gene French

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic