Is this for a tractor?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Dallas Landers
First Name: Dallas
Last Name: Landers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Rpu, 23 TT, 24 coupe,
MTFCA Number: 49995

Is this for a tractor?

Post by Dallas Landers » Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:56 pm

My son brings me anything "old tool" related or ford. He dropped this off today. The logo is post model T but I would like to know what is was for and why the inch marks on it?
moore_oe2234_9n17014_wrench_fomoco_f_cropped_inset_w560_h164.jpg
moore_oe2234_9n17014_wrench_fomoco_f_cropped_inset_w560_h164.jpg (15.58 KiB) Viewed 5789 times

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Re: Is this for a tractor?

Post by DanTreace » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:58 pm

Plow wrench, measures for adj. settings. Ford 9N 8N, 2N tractors

Part No. 9N-17014 - 11/16 x 1-1/16 Open End Plow Wrench with Ford script.
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

Topic author
Dallas Landers

Post by Dallas Landers » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:48 pm

Thank you Dan. I saw the 9N in the number and suspected that. I knew the knowledge here would not let me down.

DHort
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hjortnaes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 20 touring
MTFCA Number: 28762
MTFCI Number: 22402

Post by DHort » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:55 pm

Dallas, you realize that you now have to have a tractor to go with that wrench.

Topic author
Dallas Landers

Post by Dallas Landers » Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:07 pm

Dave, my wife fell for that when I got a couple boxes of the wrong ammo at a gun show once. I have a 51 Super C .

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:34 am

Have one like that somewhere in my boxes. We have a 54 Ford NAA tractor that my Father bought new in 1955. It was a holdover from the earlier year. That wrench was always in the tractor toolbox. Don’t know for sure if it came with it but it was with it as long as I remember along with a few other wrenches.

StanHowe
First Name: Stan
Last Name: Howe
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 2
MTFCA Number: 19133
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by StanHowe » Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:31 am

The 9n - 1939 - 1947 was a new concept when it came out as it had a three point, the first tractor to have it.
Plow depth was controlled by the three point settings and to plow a field smoothly the plow furrows had to be measured and the moldboard depth set to the same depth on both of the two bottoms.
The wrench was used to adjust the share depth and was marked to make it easy to measure.
I believe the wrench came wired to the plow, not with every tractor.

StanHowe

Post by StanHowe » Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:42 am

Probably should have said 9N Ford.
Ford made an agreement with Harry Ferguson in 1938 to manufacture tractors in corporating Ferguson's revolutionary three point attachment system with hydraulic lift.
Their agreement lasted through 1947 when Ford died. Ford then built the 8N until 1953. The court gave Ferguson 9 million in damages and unpaid royalties in1950 and three years to change their designs. In 1953 they introduced the NAA or Jubilee with changes.
Ferguson took his money and developed the Ferguson tractor, built by Continental and sold by non Ford dealers. It was a good tractor but never made money enough for newer improved models or a needed dealer network.
In 1954 he sold his patents and name rights to Massey Harris who developed the Massey Ferguson line, still in business today.

Bill Dizer
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Dizer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 coupe, 1927 depot hack
MTFCA Number: 28610
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 2014

Post by Bill Dizer » Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:22 pm

Stan, as another sidebar to the Ferguson story, Triumph Standard of England used a Ferguson tractor engine as the starting point for the Triumph Tr2, 3,3A,3B,4,and 4A model sports cars engines, up through 1967, when emissions killed them in the US. They are still the wet sleeve engines, and are noted for low end torque. They started at 83mm bore and you can now get up to 89mm. 105 horsepower was stock. They still ran the round bell housing so I always thought that putting a 100+ hp engine in a small Ferguson or ford tractor could get interesting!

StanHowe

Post by StanHowe » Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:26 pm

I've heard that before, it's interesting. I think Farm Collector magazine did a story on it years ago. When Ferguson and the Ford partnership ended in 1947-48, they imported Ferguson tractor parts from England, shipped them to Detroit; installed a Z-120 Continental Engine in them, painted them Ferguson Gray and shipped them off around the country.

By all accounts I've read, Ferguson was a hot tempered foul mouthed Irishman, his way or no way and his first idea was to go to General Motors or one of the big industrial manufacturers and produce a tractor that would run Ford out of business. The TO20, the first Ferguson was a good little tractor with a 4 speed transmission but very similar to the Fords of the day. (TO=Tractor Overseas) I've read several times that there was interest in his proposal but General Motors turned him down as did most others. So he took his money and went to Continental and made a deal with them to buy their stock 4 cylinder 20 HP engine and adapt it to the tractor.

I think they did pretty well for a couple years, there were some problems with the tractor but not many, Ford was a little cheaper and had all that dealer support and in 1950 became a more modern tractor. Ferguson hung on until the NAA Ford -- Jubilee-- came out in 53 and he could see the writing on the wall. The full time three point was the big deal breaker for most buyers along with the overhead valve engine with more power slightly larger size, etc.

Photo is my 1949 TO-20 and my Ford 8N. The colors are wrong on the Ferguson, it is painted Ford red and gray, it should be a solid darker gray with a green tint to it. (I think it was cheap war surplus paint - it's an ugly color)

I also have a 1939 9N, the early one with the starter switch on the dash, another 9N, a Jubilee, a 600, a 641, and 801 and an 861 along with a 4000 diesel. I also have a later Ferguson 35 -- the transition between Ferguson and Massey Ferguson. After the 35 they changed the design and the colors and it became the 135 Massey Ferguson. I won't post pics of all of them.
DSCF1632.JPG

DSCF1643.JPG
2019 11 27 thanksgiving ranch 006.JPG

StanHowe

Post by StanHowe » Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:29 pm

The Ferguson TO-20 is the upper one, middle is the NAA with a Superior loader, bottom is the 8N. It's a gorgeous tractor. I bought it restored, I don't have time to work on them. Actually, I bought them all that way.

I have about 20 tractors, an Earthmaster that is really cute, couple Farmall Cubs, two Allis Chalmers B, two Case S, bunch of Fords and Fergusons, IHC 300 Utility, Oliver 60, Allis CA, a few more.

John kuehn

Post by John kuehn » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:02 am

About 10 years ago I cleaned up my NAA and found that getting the Ford grey and red paint that would match the original colors isn’t easy. Lots of different ideas about which is closest by the paint manufactures. But my tractor isn’t a show tractor but one I use regularly for close shredding in small area on the property. I bought some paint at TSC and painted it with that and it’s ‘fairly close’ I guess. And by the way I think the color on the NAA with the loader isn’t quite right but it looks fine to me!

StanHowe

Post by StanHowe » Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:39 am

It's not. I bought it about ten years ago as a parts tractor, sold it to a guy who " restored" it, found out that with a loader on it it's pretty hard to steer. I bought it back from him.

I think it's Rubbermade paint of something -- wrong color and poor quality.

Dennis Carpenter is the only one I know that has correct color paint.

Topic author
Dallas Landers

Post by Dallas Landers » Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:44 am

Its wonderful to see where these threads go. I learn so much just reading them. I try to read them all because even tho the title may not interest me, the thread drift is most times very interesting. Keep it up.

StanHowe

Post by StanHowe » Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:43 pm

OH Boy Howdy, do we have thread drift.
I'm with you, Dallas, I've read, heard and done about 99% of the T topics but I like where the threads go, the topics they cover and the info on what people like me actually are doing with stuff. I especially like some of the foreign contributors showing what a loft or garage or work space of some kind looks like in France or Sweden or ???????

Of course, some people don't like it but ask me if that bothers me and you probably already know the answer.

So just to torque off the purists and the Forum police, here is a photo of my Earthmaster. One of fewer than 2,000 made, somewhere in the low hundreds remaining, this is a 47 or early 48 made in Burbank, California by a company that made cannon transports and similar during the war, needed a product to stay in business, hit on small tractors. This one is nearly totally original, no hydraulics, has the reinforcements for the back axle that were retrofitted to the early ones before they began using cast housings. 12 HP Continental engine, same as the Massey Harris Pony.

Good thing I've learned to save every post because most of them disappear about 3 times before I can get one to post. Just like this one did. I was going to post some others but I've already wasted half an hour on this.
2019 11 14 tractors carbs 020.JPG

Topic author
Dallas Landers

Post by Dallas Landers » Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:08 pm

I will have to get a photo of my super C. I took it in partial trade when I sold my 27 chebby
IMG_0653.JPG

StanHowe

Post by StanHowe » Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:39 pm

We could play "How many tractors you got, Dallas???" "How many tractors you got, Stan???" for awhile.

I'll start: Two Case S Utility, one Oliver 60 Row Crop,

Your turn!

Topic author
Dallas Landers

Post by Dallas Landers » Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:52 pm

I only have the Super C. Thats pleanty of tractor for my little farm. My wife thinks Im crazy for wanting a steel wheel tractor for pasture art. Maybe I am but rust is rust right. You are fortunate that I dont live closer to you Stan. You would probably have to throw me out to get rid of me.

StanHowe

Post by StanHowe » Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:09 am

I'd put you on my auction mailing list, that's for sure.
I'd send you home with a load.
Sig other doesn't understand it either. She says I have a needle in my arm n it's full of rust.

John kuehn

Post by John kuehn » Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:05 pm

At first glance of the Earthmaster tractor I thought it was a Allis Chalmers or a Minneapolis Moline. Used to see all the time years ago. My neighbor is a tractor collector but he doesn’t have a Earthmaster. Neat.

otrcman
First Name: Dick
Last Name: Fischer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Touring

Post by otrcman » Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:47 pm

Yes on thread drift. Lots of interesting folks on this forum.

I've only got two tractors, so that makes me tied for last place. Both are Farmall Cubs. One is permanently set up with a 5 foot sickle bar for mowing weeds. The other tractor has a Fast Hitch which I use to turn earth, tow trailers around the peoperty, etc. I even made a small "fork lift" accessory for it.

I met a fellow in a neighboring town several years ago who had an Earthmaster. I'd never even heard of one, but he was especially proud of it. After hearing Stan's comments on the rarity of Earthmaster, I sure hope I said all the right things to the owner.

StanHowe

Post by StanHowe » Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:59 pm

It's an interesting little tractor. Nothing revolutionary, tho, just a little tractor. They couldn't compete with John Deere, Case, Allis, Etc.

Topic author
Dallas Landers

Post by Dallas Landers » Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:45 pm

The bracing on the frame serves dual purpose. I had a loader for an M farmall on my C for a short time :oops: It blew the seals in the pump twice and that was it for my loader.

I still have the framework that attach to the front frame. The tubes come back to the rear loader mounts in a V from the front. Using it with a bush hog keeps weeds and brush off the tractor and the driver. Stan, it looks like those braces do kind of the same thing for the driver.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic