Pad for belly sling?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Pad for belly sling?

Post by Scott_Conger » Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:46 pm

I am installing an original-accessory belly sling for a 4 dip pan engine. It seems to me that it would be prudent to pad the sling with leather or some similar material to avoid having the sling and pan grind on each other.

What have others done in this instance?

thanks much.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

CudaMan
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Strange
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Cut Off Touring (now a pickup)
MTFCA Number: 30944
MTFCI Number: 23667
Board Member Since: 2013

Re: Pad for belly sling?

Post by CudaMan » Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:30 pm

I stuck a dense piece of foam sheet on mine, but it has probably worn through by now. Leather sounds like a better plan. Be sure to cut a hole to allow access for the oil drain plug! :)
Mark Strange
Hillsboro, MO
1924 Cut-off Touring (now a pickup)

Topic author
Scott_Conger

Post by Scott_Conger » Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:45 pm

Thanks for the advice, Mark :D

am also considering rubber sheet with pressure sensitive adhesive backing,too, but that's more costly. Leather around here is more common than bricks in Baltimore.
Scott Conger

Dropacent
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Morsher
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925TT, 1926 Martin-Parry bodied wagon, 1927 mercury bodied speedster

Post by Dropacent » Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:28 pm

The ones we make and sell through Lang’s and Snyder’s have a thin piece of neoprene, so any oil that may get on it doesn’t swell it. You want it snug, and that does the trick. ( semi-shameless plug )

mtntee20
First Name: Terry & Sharon
Last Name: Miller
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1920 Center Door, 1920 TTWood cab Farm Truck with cable dump grain bed, 1920 TT C-Cab with express bed, 1927 Wood body Dairy Delivery truck
MTFCA Number: 32583
Board Member Since: 2017

Post by mtntee20 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:39 pm

I was thinking about a piece of scrap conveyor belting. Those conveyor belts are tough as all get out but still have some give and are very resistant to oils and water. I was thinking about mounting the belting with flat head bolts towards the pan and nuts to the outside of the brace. Preferably, with all the bolt heads where the would NOT contact any part of the engine, pan, or transmission. We used to use that belting for mud flaps. It lasted forever and you would damage the mounting pieces before you pulled the flap off. She's hard to cut, so use a new/sharp blade or a jig saw. The saw always worked best for us when there was power to be had.

Good Luck,
Terry

RajoRacer
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Tomaso
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1919 Centerdoor, 1924 TT C-Cab Express, 1925 Racer
MTFCA Number: 14972
MTFCI Number: 15411
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by RajoRacer » Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:03 pm

I have several installed on 3 of our T's - straight up - no padding - just occasional verification that all is still snug.

dmdeaton
First Name: Danny
Last Name: Deaton

Post by dmdeaton » Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:59 pm

For us new people, what the heck is a belly sling?😳
But if Tim makes them I probably want one!

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:27 pm

dmdeaton wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:59 pm
For us new people, what the heck is a belly sling?😳
But if Tim makes them I probably want one!
This is a belly sling. Hooks onto the frame's side rails. Lang's sells them. Padding with a sheet of neoprene wouldn't be bad idea.
Attachments
belly sling.jpg
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

CudaMan
Last Name: Strange
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Cut Off Touring (now a pickup)
MTFCA Number: 30944
MTFCI Number: 23667
Board Member Since: 2013

Post by CudaMan » Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:21 pm

Here's the one on Betsy, my 1924 cut-off touring. I installed it because one of my pan ears had a weld repair and I wanted extra support in case the weld ever failed. Note how the nuts firmly clamp the hooks onto the threaded rods to prevent relative movement that can cause the hooks to rub a groove into the rods over time. :)
Attachments
IMG_0994.jpg
IMG_0997.jpg
IMG_0999.jpg
Mark Strange
Hillsboro, MO
1924 Cut-off Touring (now a pickup)

Henry K. Lee
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Lee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Many
MTFCA Number: 479
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by Henry K. Lee » Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:38 pm

If you want to use a barrier Scott, a good option is old cloth firehose. Split and fit, holds in place really nice. I use it under the body mounts too.

Just Sayin",

Hank

Topic author
Scott_Conger

Post by Scott_Conger » Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:57 pm

Mark

that is the type I have.

To all:

thank you very much for some really good ideas

And Hank, I just have to ask: Does South Pittsburg have a bunch of 99 foot long firehoses right now?
Scott Conger

Henry K. Lee

Post by Henry K. Lee » Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:06 pm

DO NOT ASK AND I WILL NOT TELL! Do you need some?

Our folks at the local volunteer fire departments here are the greatest. Old unserviceable hoses they give out. We all pitch in and do our part for them!

Hank

Bob in Texas
First Name: Bobby
Last Name: Wright
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout Fire Chief’s car,1924 Simms TT Fire Truck, 1927 Howe TT Fire Truck
MTFCA Number: 37124
MTFCI Number: 22715

Post by Bob in Texas » Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:18 pm

Agree with Hank. That is what I use. But as a old Fire Fighter we tend to find lots of uses for old fire hose.
Bob on Upper Texas Gulf Coast.
"I was too young to know better.
Now I am too old to care."

Dropacent
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925TT, 1926 Martin-Parry bodied wagon, 1927 mercury bodied speedster

Pad for belly sling?

Post by Dropacent » Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:54 pm

Both conveyor belting and fire hose are great ideas. We lived near a quarry for awhile and I have conveyor belt mats all over the shop areas. When I need a small piece I just bend over and slice what I need. When I left the fire department, I took my big long hose with me, so have that covered, too. ;-) I’m a fan of recycling, but not sure how thrilled a customer would be with that kind of recycling on a new product, that’s why we supply just a thin piece of neoprene rubber glued in place. Never heard of one coming loose.

Henry K. Lee

Post by Henry K. Lee » Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:56 pm

See Scott, others have firemen with short hoses too!

Hank

Dropacent

Post by Dropacent » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:11 pm

Scott, unless things have changed drastically , we only used 50’ lengths of fire hose. None of us were man enough to carry 100’ in each hand. My point being , So. Pittboig may be sporting 49’ hoses.

Topic author
Scott_Conger

Post by Scott_Conger » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:15 pm

Well, Tim, from my statement, you can see that I'm clearly not a member of the VFD or I'd know such things! :D

Thanks Hank...I'm good! :D

BTW, I'm "in the middle of nowhere", yet have a great firestation and wonderful volunteers only 2 miles away...pumper, engine, ventilation and several F350's set up for wild fires...also EMS with ambulance. Darn impressive stuff for being out here. Next Sat, we will have our community celebration where VFW Color Guard lead off, draught horses pull antique farm equipment, the mandatory T-bird and '57 Chevy shows up, as well as yours truely in one T or another. We leave the fire station, go about 1/2 mile, turn around at the "Y" and come back...all very efficient as you only have to wave out one side of the car and you get the entire crowd...all 100 of them :lol:
Scott Conger

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:03 pm

In 58 years of T ownership and driving, I have never found the need for a belly support. What am I not doing correctly?

Allan from down under.

Topic author
Scott_Conger

Post by Scott_Conger » Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:56 pm

I'm building a car for (hopefully) long-mile touring, and have married a 4 dip pan (for ease of maintenance) to an earlier hog's head. So, I've managed to join the floppiest pan to the least supported hog's head and hope to not have the crankshaft rent asunder. To that end, I'm reinforcing the pan/block/hog's head joint with heavy braces and adding a support for good measure.
Scott Conger

Dropacent

Good insurance . Pad for belly sling?

Post by Dropacent » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:45 pm

Allan, Even though I’m an accessory nut, I probably would not have attached one to everything here, but 10 years ago a cracked arm got by my rebuilder and myself until I was installing in a chassis. A quick weld with a MIG, not the strongest of welds, took care of the Immediate problem and the girdle was just insurance. These lizzies are all approaching 100+ years old, and metal fatigue is a real thing. There are all different types and many cannot even be noticed when installed. I’d bet easily just 1 person out of 100 would ever know it wasn’t birthed there, unless you’re at a T party. They’ve been a popular accessory since these things were new. Good cheap insurance, JMHO AND, maybe your roads are better under there.

RustyFords
First Name: Don
Last Name: Allen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50001

Post by RustyFords » Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:23 pm

My parts chassis came with a homemade belly sling. The chassis was last used as a car in 1961 and the by the looks of it, the belly band was in place for a very long time before then.

It's pretty crude looking visually but very solidly engineered and easy to install. And, since my aim has been to return my 24 Touring to how it may have looked during the tough days of the Depression/WW2, this homemade sling fits right in. It and the attachment bolts look like they were made by someone like my Papaw (my dad's dad). He had enough blacksmithing skill to make things he needed on the farm and make them solid and dependable but he didn't have enough skill to make them pretty.

Look at where they split the band in the middle to make access to the oil drain plug. Dang...it's pretty roughly done...but I think it's a pretty safe bet that whoever made this back in the day, didn't care one whit about what it looked like. He probably had a cracked oil pan arm that he'd just welded up and was making and installing the belly band to prevent it from happening again. (For what it's worth, the engine that this belly band was supporting did have a cracked and repaired arm.)

I don't know exactly how far I've driven it since the belly band installation, but it's not an insignifant amount and I haven't noticed any need for a pad.
Attachments
B514EED4-ED93-4709-9EE0-0E20BC75437A.jpeg
2B731BA1-D999-4020-B493-DC598A41008D.jpeg
1924 Touring

George House
First Name: George
Last Name: House
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘10 Maxwell AA, ‘11Hupp Model 20, Two 1914 Ford runabouts, 19 centerdoor, 25 C Cab,26 roadster
MTFCA Number: 115
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by George House » Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:26 pm

Yes: I install a pad on all my belly pans. I found an old truck dually thick rubber rear rock shield alongside the road while I was looking for a T oil filler cap. I’ve been cutting a 4” diameter piece out for years for a pad. Then I use a bottle jack on the oil drain plug (15/16”) to lift the engine off the chassis front springs and adjust the belly pan nuts to support some of the engine weight.
I don’t know why I turned out this way. My parents were decent people.

Shane Lach
First Name: Shane
Last Name: Lach
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Tudor and 1921 speedster in progress

Post by Shane Lach » Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:33 am

Does anybody have a spare frame hook for one of these slings kicking around? I have one sans one hook I'd like to use.

Mark Nunn
Last Name: Nunn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 50321
Board Member Since: 2017

Post by Mark Nunn » Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:18 am

Is the sole purpose of a belly sling to offer added support and insurance? Or do they help reduce vibration and side-to-side movement? My '26 did not have wood blocks behind the pan ears when I got it. There is evidence that the left pan ear had been pounding against the frame for a long time. I installed the blocks but I still have a lot of vibration above 25 mph.

D Stroud
First Name: David
Last Name: Stroud
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Coupe
Board Member Since: 2011

Post by D Stroud » Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:52 am

Shane, after all of the fantastic construction that you have done on your speedster, can't you just make another one? Just kidding, but I do think you can handle that. ;) ;) ;) Dave
1925 mostly original coupe.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic