Steel advice

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Shane Lach
First Name: Shane
Last Name: Lach
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Tudor and 1921 speedster in progress

Steel advice

Post by Shane Lach » Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:28 am

Hey guys. I'm looking to make a lowering setup like the one pictured but need to make a threaded rod. I can't find a long enough bolt so I was planning to have threads rolled on each end of a 9/16 rod to pass through the perch and custom shackle. I was wondering what if any specific steel you guy would recommend.

Thanks!
Attachments
171469.jpg
171468.jpg

Henry K. Lee
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Lee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Many
MTFCA Number: 479
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Re: Steel advice

Post by Henry K. Lee » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:03 am

Shane a 5/8 bolt grade 8 machined down is the way I have done in in the past. Don’t forget to put your ring gear on the other side of the housing, a lot of reverse options and limit forwards!

Hank

Topic author
Shane Lach
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Tudor and 1921 speedster in progress

Post by Shane Lach » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:08 am

Hey Hank thank you. I searched 9/16 bolts and everything over 6" long seems to be on intergalactic back order. I think to span the gap from the perch to the radius rod I would need a little under 10" although I haven't taken a real measurement yet. Just checked to see if the 6" bolt would work and it came up far too short. Fastenal has some listed but once added to the cart they state that there's none in existence. I'll look at 5/8 options and see if I can find someone to turn them down.

Henry K. Lee
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Lee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Many
MTFCA Number: 479
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by Henry K. Lee » Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:02 am

9/16” are now very specialized, so taking 5/8” extra long shanks are the way to get around the issue. I like the larger head anyway with suspension for attachment displacement.

Hank

Mark Nunn
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Nunn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 50321
Board Member Since: 2017

Post by Mark Nunn » Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:28 pm

Grainger's website shows 5/8" x 10" bolts in UNF, UNC and various grades.

Topic author
Shane Lach

Post by Shane Lach » Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:40 pm

Thanks guys. yeah it seems 5/8 is much more readily available. That seems like the solution to my problem.

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:47 pm

Shane, I would not mount the forward end of the rod to the radius rods in the manner you have. All radius rods are prone to internal rust, especially the later split seam ones, and the worst rust is at the downhill end at the rear. The bolt hole drilled through the rod at that point only compounds the problem. A better solution may be to fabricate a bracket which clamps around the radius rod at that point. This will add strength rather than weaken it. Others may have a different take on it.

Allan from down under.

Topic author
Shane Lach

Post by Shane Lach » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:18 pm

Hey Allan I was thinking the same thing. I was going to make something that hooked over and clamped with a bolt under the radius rod so it's a tight fit in all directions. I just liked the general idea of the one I posted.

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:47 pm

1045 Steel carbon might be a choice, then maybe have it surface hardened. MY OP; I would stay away form drill rod, might be easy to single point, not easy using a die. I was thinking today about having a bolt go thru the radius rods and decided...NOT! Good idea on the "J" bracket going over it.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Tmodelt
First Name: Kim
Last Name: Wynn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Roadster & 1927 Speedster

Post by Tmodelt » Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:12 pm

Don’t forget to put your ring gear on the other side of the housing, a lot of reverse options and limit forwards!

My Grandpa told me his first hand story of lowering his first speedster by flipping the rear end over. He didn't swap the ring gear and backed into the side of my Great Grandpa's brand new Studebaker when he hit the low speed pedal.

Kim R. Wynn

Playswithbrass
First Name: Peter
Last Name: McIntyre
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 Speedster

Post by Playswithbrass » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:02 pm

Shane 4140 tool steel is what I would use,machines nicely and is a strong tough steel but not hard and brittle cheers pete

ShirkWood
First Name: Verne
Last Name: Shirk

Post by ShirkWood » Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:54 pm

I like the set-up shown for lowering the rear of the car. As for the rear radius rod being weak...if you look at the way a radius rod is made, it seems to have some real strength in this area. There is a roughly 1/4" thick bar that is split to form the two legs or the radius rod. The radius rod tube is also split and the "Y" shaped 1/4" bar is inserted into the tube then it is brazed or welded (don't remember which) into the tube. So, I believe in the area where the bolt is shown going through may be about in the middle of the 1/4" bar. I found out about that 1/4" bar when I just cut, removed, and welded the tube back together (several inches forward of where the bolt is sown here) when I installed a Warford years ago. The weld I made broke. That is when I discovered there was a solid bar (the 1/4" "Y") that I should have welded the tube to. I did that and have had no more problems.
Verne Shirk
Wichita, KS

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic