Scandinavia band linings

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
tselliott
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Elliott
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Mercury speedster replica, 1923 speedster

Scandinavia band linings

Post by tselliott » Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:10 pm

Is there a difference in Scandinavia band linings?
Going through some parts I found a box of linings.
In this set the wide brake band looks different than the others.
Also, should I seal the ends like I do the Kevlar?
It looks like they could start to unravel very easily.
Attachments
5A6A3D8F-A6D1-446F-A408-4DB4F731DE44.jpeg

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Re: Scandinavia band linings

Post by John kuehn » Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:47 am

Original Scandinavia band linings were woven in a tighter and finer weave than the later ones.
The company was sold and they are now owned by Cantex. Or they use to be.
There were some changes in the later ones in how they were made. For a while they had to much of a coating on them that gave them a tarry appearance. Supposedly they have gotten better and not any real issues.
Hadn’t bought any in a while. Others may have comments about them.

RajoRacer
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Tomaso
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1919 Centerdoor, 1924 TT C-Cab Express, 1925 Racer
MTFCA Number: 14972
MTFCI Number: 15411
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by RajoRacer » Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:07 am

I have multiple sets of original Scandinavia lining and I have both, what appears to be a somewhat faded material (could be age related) and also the darker. ALL the original era linings have "Scandinavia" imprinted on them.

As John commented on above, Scandinavia brand was sold to CANTEX some time in the 70's, I believe - they kept the original tight weave pattern for some time as the original lining then, I'm guessing (WAG) as to extend profits, shortened each lining near an inch to 22 & 1/2" - originals are 23 & 1/2" - it's good lining BUT TOO SHORT !!! They could be segmented like Herman Khonke (RIP) suggested. They were soon to change the weave completely & treated with what seemed to be some petroleum based "GOO" but the weave doesn't hold oil as well and pedal fade was common and tightening caused premature lining wear.

RGould1910
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Gould
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1910 touring, 1912 roadster , 1927 roadster

Post by RGould1910 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:13 pm

The lighter colored ones have a softer engagement

J1MGOLDEN
First Name: James
Last Name: Golden
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Model T Roadster
MTFCA Number: 14294
MTFCI Number: 13562

Post by J1MGOLDEN » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:54 pm

When I bought my T, in 1980, it came with a new box of those Scandinavia band lining that were closer to a yellow color.

They were purchased about 1960, according to the previous owner.

I installed them, and was ready for a tour, around 1990.

I was stopping about every 10 miles to adjust low again and then the brake faded away.

When I got the T home and replaced the linings, I found they were totally dry rotted and were totally destroyed.

When I bought my latest T, in 2019, it came with 3 yellow boxes of those Scandinavia band linings and one set in the tour spares locker with no box.

These were all a dark brown color and do not appear to be dry rotted at all, but I will stick to Kevlar now.

Rich Bingham
First Name: Rich
Last Name: Bingham
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 runabout

Post by Rich Bingham » Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:24 pm

I have always run Scandinavia lining, pre 1965 and recently, as of 2017 so I can’t speak to whatever variations different owners of the brand offered during the interim. One thing I have always done is to soak the linings in pure neatsfoot oil overnight after riveting them to the bands. This was recommended somewhere in the lore of the Model T “back in the day”. I don’t know if it makes a lot of difference, but like chicken soup, it sure “couldn’t hoit”. I’ve always had good service from them, good wearability, no problems and no complaints.
"Get a horse !"

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic