23-25 Windshield Channel

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
SurveyKing
First Name: Daniel
Last Name: Snell
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 Touring, 1924 Touring, 1925 Roadster Pickup, 1921 Touring
MTFCA Number: 31662
MTFCI Number: 23677
Board Member Since: 2014

23-25 Windshield Channel

Post by SurveyKing » Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:43 pm

I am seeking some advise on how to restore the original channeling for the windshield of my 24 Touring. I am told the channel was originally nickel plated. Some time ago, it was painted over. Now after I have stripped the paint you can see that it appears to have been plated originally. My question is it necessary to have it re-plated or can the original shine be brought out? The picture has the glass at the top and portion which inserts into the frame at the bottom. Only the rounded or beaded portion at the top shows. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.
Windshield Channel 2.jpg
[/size][/b]

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Re: 23-25 Windshield Channel

Post by John kuehn » Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:35 pm

I have a 19 Runabout and a 21 Touring that has nickel plated brass window channel. I polished out the channels with polishing clothes that are avaliable at larger hardware stores. We have a Ace hardware that carries them and they work great. They come in a foil pouch and have some type of compound in them that really works. I can’t remember the name of it but there are also other polishing products avaliable besides the ones I mentioned.
I don’t know about the later T’s but if it’s a brass channel they should polish out really nice.
I would try before trying to have it replated.
You can also repolish the headlight reflectors if your careful with them. Mine are close to 90% of original. I’m not a night driver so that’s OK by me. More than a few reflectors have been thrown away that could have been polished out.

Topic author
SurveyKing
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 Touring, 1924 Touring, 1925 Roadster Pickup, 1921 Touring

Post by SurveyKing » Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:42 pm

Were those clothes Cape Cod metal polishing cloths by chance?

John kuehn

Post by John kuehn » Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:30 pm

Can’t remember the name but they worked really well polishing my headlight reflectors and window channels. They were in a foil resealable pouch. If I remember there was a post a few years ago about them and folks really liked them. Seems like it was about polishing the reflectors so I tried them and was really surprised how the cleaned them up.

Just looked up the Cape Cod polishing cloths and that is what I used. They are used to polish fine metals such as jewelry, silver and etc. The ones I used were vanilla scented. Don’t know why the scent. Ace sells them along with extra cans of polish.

George House
First Name: George
Last Name: House
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘10 Maxwell AA, ‘11Hupp Model 20, Two 1914 Ford runabouts, 19 centerdoor, 25 C Cab,26 roadster
MTFCA Number: 115
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by George House » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:00 pm

Whatever you do; don’t try to use a polishing wheel on them. And don’t ask me how I know that 😞 it’ll turn you expensive glass channel into a pretzel. What I did do on my ‘14 windshield glass channel - that’s supposed to be shiny brass - is I spent hours hand cleaning with steel wool then a polishing creme. Then I took them to be clear powder coated. Now always shiny and I don’t have to shine them.
I don’t know why I turned out this way. My parents were decent people.

Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16310

Post by Original Smith » Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:02 am

At one time, Langs was selling nickel plated channel. As I recall, they had issues with the lengths. They may have discontinued it. I finally found two frames at Chickasha with good channel and used them.

david_dewey
First Name: David
Last Name: Dewey
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 touring, 1925 runaboaut, 1926 Tudor
MTFCI Number: 19936

Post by david_dewey » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:35 pm

Caswell sells a brush nickel plating kit that does a wonderful job on plating the glass channel I have replated originals and also the brass reproduction channels and end up with a very nice, original-looking nickel plate. Do spend extra time and really add plate so it will last longer. I always have to do a mild polishing after to get a nice and even shine. I would post a pic, but the channels are up in the storage shed.
T'ake care,
David Dewey

Topic author
SurveyKing

Post by SurveyKing » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:20 pm

Thanks for the suggestion about the Nickel Plating kit from Caswell. They sell a number of different ones, which did you use?

johnernst
Last Name: Ernst
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Canadian Touring

Post by johnernst » Sat Apr 02, 2022 5:03 pm

Ive read all the posts about the brass windshield channels. I have some old ones I might be able to salvage because I was shocked at the price of the reproduction ones. I thought I should be able to make these myself. Wow its a lot harder than it seems. I guess thats why they're expensive. Wondering if anyone on here has successfully made their own brass channels from scratch. Any tips on how to do this would be appreciated. If I cant make some I think I will go without and have a glass shop use some rubber or cloth tape to mount it with.

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Sat Apr 02, 2022 5:20 pm

23-25 open car windshield channel complete set is $117

for this, you would try to make it yourself?

Not me brother...I'd rip that wallet out of my pocket and ask "how soon can you get it to me?"

Trust me, it isn't going to get any cheaper or easier than that. Considering the cost of brass and manufacturing costs, I would not be surprised if it is not double that amount in 2-3 years (or less).
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

John kuehn

Post by John kuehn » Sat Apr 02, 2022 5:42 pm

Johnernst
Give the polishing cloths on your old windshield channels a try. They brought the nickel plated windshield channels really nice on my cars. I polished them before the glass was installed. I bet people have thrown the old ones away not thinking the nickel on them just needed polishing.
You will be surprised how good they will look! Take your time and don’t rub to hard.
When Ford built the open cars the nickel plating around the windshield looked great.

Over time T owners probably didn’t keep them polished but that’s just my guess.

david_dewey
First Name: David
Last Name: Dewey
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 touring, 1925 runaboaut, 1926 Tudor
MTFCI Number: 19936

Post by david_dewey » Sat Apr 02, 2022 9:05 pm

Sometimes takes me a while to read posts here, the disadvantage of not having reliable internet at home. The Caswell kit I use is the "plug n' plate Brush electroplating system" and my box is marked "Nickel/copper" I have purchased parts and more solution a few time from them as I use it for many different things, player piano parts, toy train parts and Model T parts! It has really been a godsend to me. I want to try to plate a steering gear box sometime, not certain I can get a good "do" on something that large, but I'm going to give it a try sometime!
T'ake care,
David Dewey

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic