Wishbone reconect problem.

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
22centerdoor
First Name: David
Last Name: Stauffacher
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Centerdoor
MTFCA Number: 31
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 2005

Wishbone reconect problem.

Post by 22centerdoor » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:41 am

I just adjusted my rod beatings. I removed the inspection cover on a 4-dip pan which necessitated disconnecting the wishbone ball socket. When putting it all back together, the ball socket does not line up with the pan. It is about 3/8 of an inch off. Is this normal? Is there some type of trick to get the wishbone and pan to align? Thanks.

Mark Nunn
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Nunn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 50321
Board Member Since: 2017

Re: Wishbone reconect problem.

Post by Mark Nunn » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:57 am

My wishbone looked like this when I got it. I fixed the ugliness but still had a misalignment problem, which I have not resolved yet. I'll get to that next project.
Wishbone socket-2.gif
I used a ratchet strap attached to the front axle and rear frame to gently pull the wishbone into alignment. Then I installed the cap. The alignment issue in my car is due to severely worn shackles and bushings. I have replacements and I'm waiting for the paint to cure before installing them.

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:11 am

If the wishbone ball goes to one side, the axle would be cocked. This could happen if one wheel were blocked and the car moved forward or backward. If the wishbone is moved forward from the socket it could be the weight on the front spring is not compressing it completely. If you lower the car to the floor, does the ball still out of alignment?
Norm

Rich Eagle
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Eagle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 TR 1914 TR 1915 Rd 1920 Spdstr 1922 Coupe 1925 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1219

Post by Rich Eagle » Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:08 pm

I just encountered that on my Coupe. The axle is cocked. My solution was to put a jack under the wishbone near the ball and blocks in front of one tire and behind the other and rock the car. It jumped right in. The car runs and steers fine.
Rich
When did I do that?

A Whiteman
First Name: Adrian
Last Name: Whiteman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT, 1924 Colonial Roadster, 1924 'Bullnose' Morris, 1925 'Bullnose' Morris, 1936 JD AR

Post by A Whiteman » Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:14 pm

I heard of one case where 1" had to be welded into the wishbone to extend it to fit. The distance from teh axle to the socket was just too far to reach.... It seems not all wishbones are the same length!

Topic author
22centerdoor
First Name: David
Last Name: Stauffacher
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Centerdoor
MTFCA Number: 31
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by 22centerdoor » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:36 pm

Thanks guys!! I used all your tips to make it an easy fix: Rocked the wheels to horizontal alignment, used bottle jack to move ball to correct height and used ratchet tow ropes to gently move ball into position!! Thanks again!!!

RGould1910
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Gould
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1910 touring, 1912 roadster , 1927 roadster

Post by RGould1910 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:43 pm

IMHO the easiest way to align the wishbone ball is to loosen the nuts that clamp the front spring to the frame channel. With the spring loose it is easy to move the axle a small amount to where the ball aligns with the socket.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic