I have a question for the boys down under

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Colin Mavins
First Name: Colin
Last Name: Mavins
MTFCA Number: 1853

I have a question for the boys down under

Post by Colin Mavins » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:19 am

I was looking through photo's I have saved of the years and I see that on Mr Mullins 1912 car his tail light was on the right but there is a light bracket on the left . Did he have 2 tail lights at some point? The other question is are your tail lights right handed and what I mean ,is the blue lens still facing out and the clear facing in. I have been looking at internet photo's from clubs across the pond and Germany, Australia and seeing left hand lights on the right side or 2 tail lights but both are left side lights , is there a right handed license bracket Cheers Colin
319629.jpg

Jem
First Name: Jem
Last Name: Bowkett
Board Member Since: 1999

Re: I have a question for the boys down under

Post by Jem » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:33 am

Here in the UK I have a right handed E&J with the blue and white lenses reversed. But I don't have a RH bracket for it. I have a photo somewhere if you want to see it

Topic author
Colin Mavins
First Name: Colin
Last Name: Mavins
MTFCA Number: 1853

Post by Colin Mavins » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:18 pm

101.jpg
Yes I would, I have made a right hand light and I am going to add it to my 1912 T I know its not correct but the more red when you hit the brakes the better. Distracted Driving here in Winnipeg Canada is a big problem. The picture was me in 1977 doing a local movie about going to war . Cheers Colin

Layden Butler
First Name: Layden
Last Name: Butler

Post by Layden Butler » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:59 pm

This is a Gray & Davis tail lamp that I sent to Australia for use on a Cadillac. It probably originated in Canadian Provence that drove on the left.
It too is set up to be mounted on the right side of the car.
Attachments
gray & davis 15 tail lamp drive left a.jpg
gray & davis 15 tail lamp drive left d.jpg

John Codman
First Name: John
Last Name: Codman

Post by John Codman » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:29 am

Just a bit of slightly OT whimsey; in the original post the license plate on the T is 2265. My late mother's Massachusetts plate was 22651. Her oldest grandson has it now.

nsbrassnut
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Lee

Post by nsbrassnut » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:54 pm

A note from the Canadian east coast. Since we also used to drive on the other side up to 1923.

I have seen an older partially restored 1910 Canadian RHD, which had the tail light on the left, but the rear panel may have been replaced.

I have seen pictures of the 13-14 Canadian RHD with taillights on the right. My own '15 Canadian RHD roadster has the tail light on the right. And I have managed to find a couple of both black & brass RHD and black RDH oil tail lights with the license light on the other side. The '15 up oil RHD cars have RHD tail light brackets too. I think perhaps this is why the early '15s had the two piece bolt together tail light brackets. Its reversable for either side. But they did later switch to two different one piece brackets.

Jeff
Nova Scotia

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic