Stromberg OF dripping fuel

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Bruce Compton
First Name: Bruce
Last Name: Compton
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1921 Coupe, 1925 Coupe

Stromberg OF dripping fuel

Post by Bruce Compton » Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:54 pm

I'm having trouble finding the cause of fuel dripping out of a Stromberg OF carb. I've rebuilt maybe 30 of these carbs and this particular one now runs absolutely perfectly all through the load and RPM ranges and might be the best running OF I've ever had except that it drips fuel at the bottom of the throttle shaft but only after shut-down. I am using a viton tipped needle and as with most of my rebuilds I have added a fuel level sight plug. The static fuel level is just below the 1" mark and the fuel level does not raise during running or after shut-down so I know that the excess fuel is not coming from a leaking needle valve or either of the two seat gaskets. It's got me stumped. Anyone have any suggestions?

John.Zibell
First Name: John
Last Name: Zibell
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 30265
MTFCI Number: 24046

Re: Stromberg OF dripping fuel

Post by John.Zibell » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:31 am

Does it continue to drip or stop after a bit? If it stops after a short time it may be you are set a bit rich and it is fuel coming back down from the intake manifold. Does it immediately stop when you turn off the fuel valve?
1926 Tudor

Topic author
Bruce Compton

Post by Bruce Compton » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:55 am

John : It does stop eventually after shutting off the fuel but the fuel level in the bowl does not rise (sight plug removed) above the 1" level. It's like it's drawing fuel from another circuit in the carb. I should also mention that I'm trying this particular OF on my 1926 ( with more head pressure) and all the previous OF's I've rebuilt were tested on my 1925 (tank under seat) and way less head pressure. Thanks for you input. Bruce

mike zahorik
First Name: mike
Last Name: zahorik

Post by mike zahorik » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:04 am

I had trouble with my OF carb leaking from a number of screw plugs. I used "Seal All" on the threads of each plug and the leaking problem was solved. For what it is worth. Mike

Fordwright
First Name: Greg
Last Name: Popove

Post by Fordwright » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:10 am

Check the shafts and their bearing holes for wear.

Topic author
Bruce Compton

Post by Bruce Compton » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:03 pm

Thanks Mike and Greg; I've done around 30 of these carbs and this one is the nicest I've had.I don't think it was ever apart, all the tiny brass plugs had no removal marks on them, the idle jet was clean and clear with the original tiny gasket in place, and the throttle shaft and bore had zero wear (first time ever). I basically took it apart, checked the main jet gaskets, gave it the ultrasound treatment, repaired the the steel roller, and put it back together. It's without doubt the best idling and driving OF I've had, but unlike the other 29 or so it drips fuel after shut-down. The only other problem is that the choke return spring is broken but I use a different set-up anyway. I'm still puzzled about the dripping.

Mark Osterman
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Osterman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 runabout

Post by Mark Osterman » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:41 pm

Mine leaked due to the upper surface of the float not being smooth. The butterfly weight regulator would get snagged at times.

Topic author
Bruce Compton

Post by Bruce Compton » Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:13 pm

Thanks Mark: I always put the float in so that the soldered tab is at the bottom so the weights act on a smooth surface. Apparently the soldered up tiny hole was put there intentionally to let the heated air escape when the sides and ends were being soldered. When that process was done, the "vent" hole was sealed.

mike zahorik
First Name: mike
Last Name: zahorik

Post by mike zahorik » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:42 pm

It's a little difficult to detect a leak while the carb is on the car. I found mine, using a spare intake manifold clamped in my bench vise. I made a gas tank from an old coffee can and piped it to the carb. Then with the carb in plain view and using paper towels I found each leak one at a time. Sealed with Seal All and tried again. Might seem like a lot of work, but it worked for me. Mike

Topic author
Bruce Compton

Post by Bruce Compton » Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:22 pm

Thanks Mike but every brass plug is tight and dry as well as the two large brass hex plugs.

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:35 pm

I'd be inclined to test on your normal (lower tank) setup. You might be surprised at the result.

In any event, some drips after shutoff from that location are not exactly unknown.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Topic author
Bruce Compton

Post by Bruce Compton » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:43 pm

Thanks Scott; I have heard about post shut-down drips before but am still puzzled as the fuel in the bowl does not rise ( I have the sight plug removed and can actually see the fuel level staying put), so I really wonder where the excess is coming from. I'll try the OF on my '25 next week and see if the reduced head pressure has an effect. Bruce

Fordwright
First Name: Greg
Last Name: Popove

Post by Fordwright » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:10 am

I'm not sure how to fix a leaking shaft, other than to try to machine a new bushing to within a few ten-thousanths. Either that, or machine some grooves for o-rings.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic