changing bands

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
RichardG
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Grzegorowicz
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1921 T pickup

changing bands

Post by RichardG » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:40 am

SCOTT ,YOUR PICTURES OF WHAT IS NEEDED TO BE DONE CONFUSE ME, MY OLD EYES CANT MAKE OUT TH AMOUNT NEEDED TO BE TAKEN OFF THE PEDAL SHAFT, AND DO I NEED TO FIND THE ADJUSTING BOLT WITH HOLLOW END AS WELL? CAN I MODIFY IT? SORRY TO BE SO THICK. WHAT IS SO DIFFERENT IN THE BAND ENDS THAT REQUIRE THIS MODIFACATION ,

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Re: changing bands

Post by Scott_Conger » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:07 pm

Richard

based on your comments I am wondering if your pedal isn't already made for replaceable bands.

Here's the deal...originally the low pedal shaft was so long, it reached all the way across the band and fit into a hollow adjustment bolt on the right side. It was so long, you could not even get the band spring off without major surgery to the hog's head/pedal

The hog's head set up for removable bands had a pedal shaft which went through the band ear and extended a little more to hold the left side of the spring...additionally, the right hand adjustment bolt that had previously been drilled to support the longer shaft is now machined with a protrusion that goes through the right hand band ear and sticks out further to capture the spring...all this means to say that there is no solid shaft going through the band anymore...it is simply supported on the ends.

Courtesy of Lang's Old Car Parts pictures, your adjustment screw on right side of the hog's head should look like this:
original band adjustment screw.jpg
And what you want, looks like this:
removable band adjustment screw.jpg
Here is the link to buy what you need: https://www.modeltford.com/item/3419B.aspx

Once you're holding the new shaft in your hand, you can use THAT part to see how short to cut the pedal shaft to have the same amount of "stick out" to capture the band and spring.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by DanTreace » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:08 pm

Richard

The Service Manual at paragraph #543 says to leave about 7/8" of an inch of the long low pedal shaft, at the shoulder.

There is little difference of bands, other that the demountable ones have the left side lug that is removable.

Since the earlier low pedal shaft runs all the way across both lugs, into the p/n3419 hollow adj. screw, there is no way to pull out the removable lug as it is still captured by the long low pedal shaft.

Cut off the low pedal shaft, and then use the new p/n3419B 'stubby' adj. screw that only reaches to the right hand lug. The left hand removable lug will ride on the now cut off low pedal shaft, with the band spring between the stub ends.

Bold type for your eyes :), you're welcome.

Cut off low pedal shaft.jpg
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by DanTreace » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:11 pm

And, if you don't have the new style stubby adj. screw, one can be made by threading an earlier hollow 3419, and placing a cut off threaded shank of a bolt, threaded into with LocTite, so that hollow screw becomes a stubby screw.

IMG_0405 (800x600).jpg
Low speed hollow screw.jpg
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

Topic author
RichardG
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Grzegorowicz
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1921 T pickup

Post by RichardG » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:38 pm

now it makes sense, the engine im working on was set up for a power unit, and the pedals were removed and plugs were pushed in the pedal holes, why any one would do that , i would think having the feature of hi--lo--drive would be a great advantage,so every thing was missing within, my good friend BILL HARPER gave me a good hogs head, i got the good used bands from Scott, just now getting around to put things together, when i thought about it i remember something about those shafts, thank you very much,now i can attack this job like a pro. KEEP FORDING ON ,FIRST WORLD WAR BATTLE CRY.

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:32 pm

Good for you Richard

good luck
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves