2nd generation T guy who knew better!

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Model T Mark
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Eyre
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 Touring 1914 Touring and Roadster 1915 Touring 1926 Roadster

2nd generation T guy who knew better!

Post by Model T Mark » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:04 pm

Be careful with the crank. Three weeks ago starting the freshly restored 11 torpedo which is very tight to crank I decided to after cranking for a bit to stop and pull the choke and give it a good priming. Someone talked to me for a bit and I want back to turning the crank with the choke on. Was waiting for it to shoot gas out the carb and it hadn’t so I pushed down. Guess what, the switch was on. It kicked up while I had my arm in a straight locked position. You know how the story ends. Torn rotator cuff and a dislocated shoulder. Horrible pain, sitting and sleeping. Now I’m in wait mode to see how we are going fix this. So be careful! I knew better! I really hate to do stupid stuff.

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Re: 2nd generation T guy who knew better!

Post by Scott_Conger » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:13 pm

Mark

sorry to hear about the injury!

I view pushing "down" on a T crank like I view pointing an unloaded gun at someone...I just don't do it. There is always a miniscule chance that something unaccounted for can creep in. I have no doubt that you view this similarly, and it is good to point out that the most inocuous actions by the most experienced people can go awry despite all of us knowing better.

get better my friend
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:43 pm

I feel, or felt, your pain. It was so excruciating I passed out on the ground. When I came to I drove to the hospital one-handed. Years later my right hand is still numb. I'm pretty careful now.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Bill Dizer
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Dizer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 coupe, 1927 depot hack
MTFCA Number: 28610
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 2014

Post by Bill Dizer » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:52 pm

Mark, I am very sorry to hear of your injury! I hope the rotator cuff is not badly torn, and you don't need surgery, or no more than minor! Five years ago February, I fell at my work, and badly tore my right cuff. The surgeon said it was almost torn in two, but he was able to fix it! I was in a sling for 6 weeks, sleeping in a recliner, not to remove the sling except to do therapy exercises or take a shower! The therapy was VERY worthwhile. If you need it, they start you off with range of motion exercises that are to stretch your muscles and ligaments so you can move the arm where it needs to and used to go. The object is to get the range back, WITHOUT gaining strength in the arm/shoulder. If you gain strength, you will not get the range back, maybe ever! After you get the range back, then you start very gently getting strength back. It takes a LOT of exercises for both, range, and strength. I quit counting after 70,000 repetitions! That was three times a day, each exercise done thirty reps! The end result was an arm/shoulder that works like it used to, and is strong! This will be an extended recovery! The total therapy for me was 16 weeks, because I am a mechanic, and workmans comp paid for it. I took a full two years to totally recover all motion and strength, but it did fully come back! I was no spring chicken at 62 years old!

For your comfort now, while you wait, a good sling that supports your full arm including your wrist and hand will help, plus a secondary strap that holds your arm to your waist. I'm not a doctor or anything like that, just saying what happened to me, and what worked for me! I wish you a speedy recovery!

Topic author
Model T Mark
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Eyre
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 Touring 1914 Touring and Roadster 1915 Touring 1926 Roadster

Post by Model T Mark » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:31 pm

I’m surprised how fast the strength left it. It was difficult to even eat with it. Made the muscles in my neck sore even. The frustrating thing for me is how long it is taking to get this process started in this Covid19 era. Freaks me out a bit to even go in these doctors offices right now. I have because I’m need some relief from the pain. Thanks for the advice, I have been healthy so this has been a real sobering experience.

Bill Dizer
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Dizer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 coupe, 1927 depot hack
MTFCA Number: 28610
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 2014

Post by Bill Dizer » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:52 pm

I understand completely! Other than a broken arm in a truck wreck, I had and have been in good health, and being hurt suddenly and without warning is scary and of course very painful! Being self employed at the time, made it stressful despite having the worker comp insurance to help. When I hurt mine, it would move a little forward and back, but it would not go out sideways at all! I had a great surgeon and great therapists, and being motivated to get back to work, I did my best to follow the directions as given! It was not fun by any means, but it worked! There are many levels of rotator cuff injuries, and from what I was told, some will heal without surgery. Mine would not, and I was offered orthrascopic, or regular, and simply told the dr to do it whichever way that would let him do the best job. He did the old fashioned incision that left a scar, but since I'm no bathing beauty, I didn't care! Mine did not have any dislocation so it is different from yours. I certainly agree, it is a scary time to have to go to a medical facility of any kind! I do think most have the sanitation system down better than they did at first, so that is better! I had to go pick up my wife at the emergency room a couple of weeks ago, and they actually let me go back to the room. She is on blood thinner and had fallen after tripping in her doctors waiting room and had hit her head, so she had to get a precautionary mri done. She is fine! I am south of you in Indiana, and we are supposed to be totally off of any lockdown by this weekend. So far, new cases are falling, hospital admissions are way down, ICU use is low and going lower, and the death rate is lower, than anytime since February. Testing is way up, and available free to anyone, whether they have symptoms or not. Good luck, and if I can help in any way let me know.

Oldav8tor
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Juhl
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1917 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50297
MTFCI Number: 24810
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Oldav8tor » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:14 pm

Mark, I'm so sorry to hear of your mishap....I winced reading your post. I wish you a speedy and complete recovery.
1917 Touring
1946 Aeronca Champ
1952 Willys M38a1 Jeep (sold 2023)
1953 Ford Jubilee Tractor

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:41 pm

Wow! Sorry to hear about the kickback! I can remember years and years ago when I inherited the 24 Coupe my Grandfather gave me. I was about 10-14 years old (can’t remember for sure). when my mechanic Uncle came over to try to start the T. It took a while with a low battery but I remember him reminding my Father to remember you can get a broken arm by pushing down the crank if it tries to start! They grew up with T’s. They didn’t use their arm but pushed the crank down with their foot to avoid getting hurt.
It finally started.
But watching them trying to crank the car it came back to me years later when I was grown and finally rebuilt the engine and restored the car.
And If I do have to hand crank it I pull up with my thumb behind the handle and not wrapped around it and DO NOT push down!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic