What's that tube next to the camshaft?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
paddy1998
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Delaney
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922/23 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50356

What's that tube next to the camshaft?

Post by paddy1998 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:51 pm

Flipped her over on the engine stand to get ready to install the crankcase and noticed that tube that runs next to the camshaft.

What the heck is that?
Attachments
IMG_20200703_075140.jpg

Mark Nunn
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Nunn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 50321
Board Member Since: 2017

Re: What's that tube next to the camshaft?

Post by Mark Nunn » Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:55 pm

That's the oil distribution tube. Oil splashed by the magnets into the funnel flows to the front of the engine.

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:26 pm

Absolutely a must! T’s didn’t have oil pumps and the oil was splashed around in the engine and that tube delivered oil to the front main. If you have it apart make sure it’s cleaned out. You can use air to blow it out.
A lot of T’s had the line partially stopped up or plugged up and wound up burning up the front main when running low in oil and going up hills.
Guys have put engines together and have forgotten to put in in. It’s easy to do and I’ve done it. I did one last check before I put the pan on and just caught it not looking right.
Leave it out and your engine will won’t last long.

Topic author
paddy1998
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Delaney
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922/23 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50356

Post by paddy1998 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:03 pm

Of course,

It didn't occur to me that's what it was because for some reason I was conflating in my mind that line with the auxiliary line in the crankcase.

Thinking of getting another one for the other side of the crankcase and doing away with the outside oil line, which I demolished while removing the engine from the car.

Ha!
Attachments
IMG_20200703_131810.jpg

rofirestone
First Name: Roy
Last Name: Stone
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Touring--1925 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 23830
MTFCI Number: 18986

Post by rofirestone » Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:48 pm

I sure would keep that outside one in service👍

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:53 pm

On one of my T''s, the funnel came off right after I started the engine for the first time after a rebuild. I started it up and after driving for a mile or two, the magneto stopped working. I switched to battery and ran the car for about 10 years on battery. I had installed a magneto oiler from the magneto plug to the front on the left side of the engine. It worked fine for 10 years and I climbed many hills. The inside line was still intact except for the funnel. I had no idea why the magneto had stopped working. I was restoring a second Model T and I had rewound the magneto coil. I also rewound a couple other coils and so I decided to install a new coil and fix the magneto in my first T. To my great surprise, when I pulled the engine, I found the funnel laying in the bottom of the crankcase! When it came off it cut the winding of the magneto coil but did no other damage. If I had not had the outside oil line, I don't think my bearings would have lasted 10 years. It has now been about 25 years and the magneto still works and still have the same bearings in the engine.
So another lesson is to check the fit between the funnel and the magnets when you put the engine together so that doesn't happen to your car.
Norm

SteveTN
First Name: Steve
Last Name: in Tennessee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 Cuttoff

Post by SteveTN » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:43 pm

I describe this to people trying to explain how the oil is moved around with no pump.

I get a lot of disbelief.

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:22 pm

I use the original oil line that Ford made to use inside the crankcase and use the outside oil line that’s used with the mag post on my T ‘s. Every bit of oil helps.
Surprisingly the mag post Oiler delivers a steady stream of oil also. Not a heavy stream but slow and steady. Remove the tube from the adapter in front of the front cam gear cover and watch how much flows out. It does help.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic