Need Pictures of Stewart 1913 Swivel Joint Parts

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
DontKnowMuch
First Name: James
Last Name: Sanford
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14 Touring, 26 Roadster, 27 Roadster

Need Pictures of Stewart 1913 Swivel Joint Parts

Post by DontKnowMuch » Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:37 am

I have several 1913 swivel joints that have cracks and/or missing parts. There may be enough parts to combine the parts to make one or more complete swivel joints. How do you disassemble the swivel joints to clean and determine if there are enough parts to make complete sets? Does anyone have parts diagrams for these swivel joints?

Thanks. I don't want to break anything that may be usable.

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Re: Need Pictures of Stewart 1913 Swivel Joint Parts

Post by Mark Gregush » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:42 am

https://www.modeltford.com/item/RM6.aspx
The book put out by the club should help with what you need to know.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Topic author
DontKnowMuch
First Name: James
Last Name: Sanford
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14 Touring, 26 Roadster, 27 Roadster

Post by DontKnowMuch » Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:49 pm

Mark, thanks for the reply. I have a copy of the MTFCA Speedometer book that is "stored" in the same location as some parts I have been looking for for several months. In other words I have misplaced my copy. Before I try to borrow one or buy a new one, does it have pictures of the swivel joint internal parts?

Hope everyone had a wonderful 4th of July holiday.

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:14 pm

The 1913 is a Stewart part number for the assembly rather than a year number. Over their production some things changed
Earlier versions had a steel shaft through the centre and a round steel collar was pressed on to it to hold the two halves together. Later versions used a threaded nut to do the same.
The pin which retains cable end is tapered, and must be driven out in one direction only.
Hope this helps

Allan from down under

Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16310

Post by Original Smith » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:06 am

Buy Russ Furstnow's speedometer book. It tells everything you need to know.

Russ_Furstnow
First Name: Russ
Last Name: Furstnow
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 Touring, 1913 Touring, 1914 Runabout, 1915 Coupelet, 1916 Coupelet
MTFCA Number: 28
MTFCI Number: 10546

Post by Russ_Furstnow » Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:58 am

Here is a diagram showing the internal parts of a Model 1913 swivel. I hope this helps.
Russ Furstnow
Attachments
018 (2).jpg

Susanne
First Name: Susanne
Last Name: Rohner
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Late '15 touring, "Angel".
MTFCA Number: 464

Post by Susanne » Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:12 pm

Helps me! I have one that is skipping, and I was trying to figure out why... that diagram answered the question...

Now all I have to do is figure out how the doggone thing comes apart!

Thank you, Russ!

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:06 pm

Susan, you need a spanner. :D Put the spanner on that 6 sided thingo on the bottom, and if it fits closely, you can wind that spanner in counter clockwise direction and the thingo will wind off.Then you can turn the bottom half of the housing in the same direction and it will come off too.
Seriously, removing the output end where the cable housing screws on, requires a tapered pin to be carefully driven out. Make sure you drive the right way.
The problem usually come with the input gear and the intermediate where it drives. These wear considerably more than the output end .

Allan from down under.

Susanne
First Name: Susanne
Last Name: Rohner
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Late '15 touring, "Angel".
MTFCA Number: 464

Post by Susanne » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:20 am

Allan wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:06 pm
Susan, you need a spanner. :D Put the spanner on that 6 sided thingo on the bottom, and if it fits closely, you can wind that spanner in counter clockwise direction and the thingo will wind off.Then you can turn the bottom half of the housing in the same direction and it will come off too.
Seriously, removing the output end where the cable housing screws on, requires a tapered pin to be carefully driven out. Make sure you drive the right way.
The problem usually come with the input gear and the intermediate where it drives. These wear considerably more than the output end .

Allan from down under.
OK, so to make sure I got this right... ;)

Take a properly sized dingus (eg not Whitworth, not Meterical), place it on the geegaw on the bottom, do the lefty loosie thingy on it, once off whirl the whole bottom part leftie-loosie as well... get a 2 penny nail, file it tiny and a big ol' wacker, beat the pin until one realized they're doing it wrong, whack it the other way, and inspect the upper (or is it lower?) whirleygig to find the culprit... Wash, Rinse, Repeat. To reassemble turn the instructions upside down, and Viola!

Of course, once I get it apart, are there any sources for parts? The one I knew of, an old school speedo shop that had parts and expertise for it seems Everything, unfortunately, has gone the way of the passenger pigeon long ago...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic