Not Ford front leaf spring?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
ivaldes1
First Name: Ignacio
Last Name: Valdes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50406
Board Member Since: 2016

Not Ford front leaf spring?

Post by ivaldes1 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:12 pm

Hi, on the hay wagon to speedster project viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13134 the hay wagon came with what looked like a hodge podge for its front leaf springs including extra leaves. I had a set of early tapered leaf springs from my previous Touring project. So I took them all apart, sandblasted them all. Now I am trying to get a single useful set out of the two. I am putting them back together and rebushing them. So I successfully rebushed the spring on the bottom of the photo with correct new bushings from a new shackle set, when I tried to rebush the upper leaf in the photo the OD is far larger than the one on the lower. None of the new bushings I have are big enough. I suspect that the upper leaf in the photo is not Ford? The lower leaf in the photo successfully rebushed is probably Ford but is it early Ford?
Attachments
IMG_0899.jpg
IMG_0900.jpg

Topic author
ivaldes1
First Name: Ignacio
Last Name: Valdes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50406
Board Member Since: 2016

Re: Not Ford front leaf spring?

Post by ivaldes1 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:30 pm

Here is the stack that I think is right for this, 7 tapered leaves. The sandblast place put slip plate paint on but they didn't understand my instructions very well and put it ll over the tops and bottoms even the parts showing.
Attachments
IMG_0901.jpg
IMG_0903.jpg

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:21 pm

Ignacio, on our Canadian sourced cars there is one extra leaf which you do not show. It goes directly on top of the main leaf, and is almost as long. It has clipped ends like the later springs, but most I have seen are a little thinner, as though they had clipped a tapered leaf.
Hope this helps.
Allan from down under

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:27 am

USA built Ts also had one longer leaf nearly reaching the shackle end.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic