Installing tranny bands/hogs head. Bands won't sit back far enough?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Herr_Wiebold
First Name: Brett
Last Name: Wiebold

Installing tranny bands/hogs head. Bands won't sit back far enough?

Post by Herr_Wiebold » Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:44 pm

So I've taken the plunge into the world of Model Ts, having bought a 25 TT about a month ago. It came at a great price, but as one might expect, also came in many, *many* boxes. That said, the assembly hasn't been too troublesome so far- I've got the crank/cams and all their accompanying gubbins in, the transmission stack on the block (with bands wired in place around the drums), and the whole shoot n' match mated with the oil pan.

I seem to have run into some trouble with the bands sitting in the pan however, and the hogs head installation that follows. See, the bands don't want to sit back far enough to be lined up with their drums, instead bunching up against the triple gears/flywheel area. My immediate thought is that the tapered part of the oil pan is too close to the tranny stack to allow the brake band to sit back, though my inexperience leaves me unsure. Any thoughts?

- Brett

George Hand
First Name: George
Last Name: Hand
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 open express, 1920 touring, 1926 tudor-lisenced and insured, 1921tt project 1922 fendered chassis, 192x tt dootle bug 192xengine w/winch projects
MTFCA Number: 28114
MTFCI Number: 21834

Re: Installing tranny bands/hogs head. Bands won't sit back far enough?

Post by George Hand » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:11 pm

Brett, Are you trying to use a 1926-7 wide drum brake band on the '25 transmission? Do you have a 3 dip or a 4 dip crankcase-pan? Are the removable ears on the bands on the left side? Just some thoughts. George

Topic author
Herr_Wiebold

Post by Herr_Wiebold » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:04 pm

George,

Thanks for the help! It's a 3 dip pan, and all my removable ears are on the left side. I'm not sure about the brake bands; while my brake band is larger than the other 2, it seems to be the correct size of the corresponding drum. How close are the clearances back there typically? Am I making mountains out of mole hills, or is something else off here...

- Brett

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:25 pm

All three bands on a 25 TT are the same width. If you have a wider one, it is incompatible with a 3 dip pan. If the brake drum is wider, you have a 26-7 trans
That will still fit, but you must use a narrow band.
Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Topic author
Herr_Wiebold

Post by Herr_Wiebold » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:40 pm

That is a massive help Allan! Glad I asked... I'll see if I've got an extra band in a box somewhere. Thanks all!

- Brett

Allan
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:07 pm

I did not ask which trans cover you have. A 3 dip pan needs a cover with the 3 diamond shaped pedals. The 26-7 covers with the wide brake and first gear pedals have the brake pedal shaft further to the rear to line up with the wider brake band.
Allan from down under.

paddy1998
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Delaney
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922/23 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50356

Post by paddy1998 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:46 am

Allan wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:07 pm
I did not ask which trans cover you have. A 3 dip pan needs a cover with the 3 diamond shaped pedals. The 26-7 covers with the wide brake and first gear pedals have the brake pedal shaft further to the rear to line up with the wider brake band.
Allan from down under.
This is something that's always puzzled me. I have a 26-7 with the wide brake band and 4 dip pan but my pedals are diamond shaped. :?:

Allan

Post by Allan » Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:45 am

The type of pedal installed is imaterial in the scheme of things. Both do the same job. It is the location of the shafts which is varied, to account for the different applications. Why someone would change the wider pedals for the diamond shaped earlier ones is something I cannot fathom.

Allan from down under

blgitn
First Name: Roger
Last Name: Harmon
MTFCA Number: 16412
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by blgitn » Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:08 pm

Allan wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:45 am
The type of pedal installed is imaterial in the scheme of things. Both do the same job. It is the location of the shafts which is varied, to account for the different applications. Why someone would change the wider pedals for the diamond shaped earlier ones is something I cannot fathom.

Allan from down under
Allen,
When I got my Roadster it had a 4 dip pan and a wide pedal Hogs head with a screw-in mag post, but an narrow brake transmission. I've had a lot of challenges keeping the band's lined and in good working order. Would I have better luck with an earlier hogs head?
Thanks, and Happy Holidays!

PS: I'm building a touring powerplant for the car, but would like to keep the current one for a good running spare.

R/ Roger.

Erik Barrett
First Name: Erik
Last Name: Barrett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 speedster 1924 touring 1925 dump truck

Post by Erik Barrett » Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:27 pm

Paddy, sometimes people put the diamond shaped pedals on later engines installed in earlier cars to keep things looking original inside the car.

Allan

Post by Allan » Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:24 pm

roger, I missed your last post. A late hogshead on an early trans will mean the brake band will hang off the back of the trans drum. This is not good. Not only will the different pedal spacing mean the band is clamped off centre, the band itself will be subject to real punishment. it will be hanging off the back of the drum and being chopped up by the interrupted surface around the 6 bolt bosses on the rear of the drum.
You have choices. The simplest is to fit an earlier hogshead, which will be compatible with the trans you have. Or you could fit a wide brake drum and its driven plate, and keep your existing hogshead, provided you have a 4 dip pan.

Allan from down under.

J1MGOLDEN
First Name: James
Last Name: Golden
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Model T Roadster
MTFCA Number: 14294
MTFCI Number: 13562

Post by J1MGOLDEN » Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:40 pm

The correct transmission cover for the wide brake drum also has two bolts front top to bolt it to the engine block.

The pedals can be interchanged, by removing a rivet inside the cover for the Clutch pedal.

ModelTMark
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Williams
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 TT, 1923 Touring, 1927 Tudor, 1915 Roadster
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by ModelTMark » Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:45 pm

The pedal shaft spacing on the 26/27 hogs head between the brake band and low speed band is wider to insure the brake pedal shaft is centered over the wider brake drum and band. You CANNOT use a 26/27 hogs head on a narrow band transmission as a third of brake band will be hanging off the narrow brake drum. The pedal types have no impact as the shafts are the same. In 26/27 (the Improved Ford) the Brake and low speed pedals were made wider than previous years. Another fact is the 26/27 hogs head will not fit on an earlier 09-25 engine because the ears bottom out on the back of the earlier engines, which is obvious because you can't seat the hogs head on the oil pan. To do so, you'd have to grinding down or cutting off the ears that normally mount to the 26/27 engine. As a previous post stated, you can use an narrow band on a 26/27 transmission with a 26/27 hogs head, but for the love of life I'm not sure why you'd want to downgrade the braking this way...26/27 brake bands are readily available.

Just my 2-cents.

R/Mark

blgitn

Post by blgitn » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:02 pm

Ok, thanks. I'll try to find a local, earlier hogs head for the 'spare'.

Next; nobody knows anything about the aftermarket 'Rusco' hinged bands?I

R/ Roger.

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:05 am

Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

blgitn

Post by blgitn » Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:19 pm

Thanks Scott!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic