Noisy Generator Gear... I think....

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
gldavis
First Name: George
Last Name: Davis-Williams
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 49778

Noisy Generator Gear... I think....

Post by gldavis » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:16 pm

Hey Guys!

So for 3 years I've lived with a ting ting ting ting ting coming from the front of the engine. The noise has continued after a recent Texas T Distributor removal and E timer installation. I used to blame it on the distributor bouncing around up front, but alas that is not it. Took the fan belt off, no change from the fan not running. Crank pulley is nice and tight too. So i continued to live with the noise. I think I finally narrowed it down to the the generator gear. The lash seems excessive and I just realized tonight, after reading the "bible" that is is actually possible to adjust the gear lash! Huh, what concept, I guess I should have read the instructions long ago. The engine was rebuilt in 2005 and saw little mileage until I got it, so I'm hoping the wear to the timing gear isn't excessive, we shall see how it sounds when I try running it without the generator. Currently if I turn the lights on when running the noise decreases, which make sense to me since I'm adding a load to the gears. Anyhow, here's my question, is it normal for the generator gear to make some noise? With a proper setup is it still normal to hear the gears when driving along?
George Davis-Williams
Lake City, MI
1926 Tudor