40 HP Model T

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
1194668jc
First Name: John
Last Name: Crespo
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: None! (For now...)

40 HP Model T

Post by 1194668jc » Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:38 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IeUSBRzbxA
In the link, a man in the video with a '26 as a daily driver says that he made the engine from 20 to 40 HP, and that he, "can now climb hills with it." He says that he put a high compression head on it. What does that mean? (I'm a novice when it comes to engines, please spare me!).

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Re: 40 HP Model T

Post by DanTreace » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:34 pm

Nice video. Man on the street interview, so sometimes an owner will embellish things. I have before. :roll:

Accessory cylinder heads are made today, as in the past They can add 5+ hp, and help out the T power plant. Other adds like cam and carb help. Making a T get 40hp with just valves in block and high compression head is a stretch, now with a Rajo or other OHV set up, yes!

Nice runabout pickup the owner restored, he is quite good at that and likely a good fisherman too :lol:
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

Dallas Landers
First Name: Dallas
Last Name: Landers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Rpu, 23 TT, 24 coupe,
MTFCA Number: 49995

Post by Dallas Landers » Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:10 pm

If you add all the aftermarket things made to increase HP for a T over the years, you can easily get 50 to 60 HP from your T. :D I got 2 HP just bolting on my APCO explosion proof muffler with a built in cutout! :lol:
I fish also.

Kevin Pharis
First Name: Kevin
Last Name: Pharis

Post by Kevin Pharis » Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:42 pm

Dallas Landers wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:10 pm
If you add all the aftermarket things made to increase HP for a T over the years, you can easily get 50 to 60 HP from your T. :D
And if you weigh em all... you’ll need all that extra HP, and a helper spring too!!! :lol:

A Whiteman
First Name: Adrian
Last Name: Whiteman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT, 1924 Colonial Roadster, 1924 'Bullnose' Morris, 1925 'Bullnose' Morris, 1936 JD AR

Post by A Whiteman » Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:54 pm

Never hesitate to pop on and ask anything, even if you think it is a 'dumb' question. We were/are all novices too.

One thing to consider is that upping HP means more stress in the engine and transmission = probably shorter life span of some parts.
Then you have to stop the car = upgrade brakes too (need auxiliary ones there).
Then handling of a much faster T can be "questionable" around corners unless you add extra shocks and/or lower the car or build a 'speedster'. There is plenty of help and books available for doing that too - and some nice 'wheels' have been made on all sorts of budgets.

Perhaps ask yourself two questions: "what do I want to do with my T" and "how much do I want to spend..."

My T is 'standard' and I can drive up hills too :-)

The beauty of the hobby is "if its good for you - then its good!"

Dan Hatch
Last Name: Hatch
MTFCA Number: 49974

Post by Dan Hatch » Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:25 am

Many years ago at a tour there was a coupe with a switch on dash labeled “ Turbo Boost “. The switch would ground the generator. Owner said he could gain about 2 hp doing that.

Mark Nunn
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Nunn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 50321
Board Member Since: 2017

Post by Mark Nunn » Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:33 am

I noticed that the timer was fully retarded while the engine was idling and when the owner drove away. I suspect that he made non-standard adjustments to timer settings too.

David Mazza
First Name: David
Last Name: Mazza
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 t runabout

Post by David Mazza » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:25 am

This will be a 40hp model t/a
Attachments
08A6F5E0-CD52-43B9-927D-C38D0C289622.jpeg

Dan B
Last Name: Blaydon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Touring

Post by Dan B » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:27 am

Seems like a great guy and proud of his car as he should be!
1923 Touring

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:55 am

I have a stock 26 Roadster. In Death Valley there is a viewpoint called Dante's View. Lee Chase told me it is a good viewpoint. So I went up with my wife, Dolores. None of the other T's took that road. I have the cowl mounted gas tank so I could go up the hill going forward. I used both Ruckstell and Low pedal to climb the hill and also to go down the hill. The road is almost straight up. Anyway, it can be done with a standard engine. I don't think it would have worked without the Ruckstell. Note: Unless you want to go up in reverse, don't try that with the under seat gas tank unless you have a fuel pump.
Norm

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:58 am

I have heard of using a Model A crankshaft or a new T crankshaft with a longer stroke to increase the horsepower. Might get 40 by doing it, however, the rest of the drivetrain was not made for that much increase and is a weak point.
Norm

Susanne
First Name: Susanne
Last Name: Rohner
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Late '15 touring, "Angel".
MTFCA Number: 464
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Susanne » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:49 pm

Norman Kling wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:55 am
I have a stock 26 Roadster. In Death Valley there is a viewpoint called Dante's View. Lee Chase told me it is a good viewpoint. So I went up with my wife, Dolores. None of the other T's took that road. I have the cowl mounted gas tank so I could go up the hill going forward. I used both Ruckstell and Low pedal to climb the hill and also to go down the hill. The road is almost straight up. Anyway, it can be done with a standard engine. I don't think it would have worked without the Ruckstell. Note: Unless you want to go up in reverse, don't try that with the under seat gas tank unless you have a fuel pump.
We used to live on the top of a street in Oakland (Ca) like that, went from the flatlands to the top of the Oakland Hills through a number of twists and turns climbing all the way. Gas station at the bottom of the hill. One time I forgot to top up, got to about the second "low low" climb and out of gas we went...

My Pikes Peaks almost didn't get us stopped, it was a VERY hairy few seconds as we started to roll backwards... I found a long perpendicular and slightly inclined driveway, aimed for it, and made it into it (somehow), to this day I don't know how the car ended up not on it's side.

NEVER let the gas get low again.

GrandpaFord
First Name: Neil
Last Name: Kaminar
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Touring
MTFCI Number: 22425

Post by GrandpaFord » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:13 pm

To me there is no point in increasing the horsepower beyond about 25 or so for a full bodied car. I really don't want to drive my touring car more than about 45 mph anyway because of safety issues and because it is just more fun at the slower speeds. Now if you are going to go racing or want a really fast speedster, then yes. But make sure you upgrade the brakes and steering too. And make sure your life insurance is paid up.

Neil

RustyFords
First Name: Don
Last Name: Allen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50001

Post by RustyFords » Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:00 pm

Dallas Landers wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:10 pm
If you add all the aftermarket things made to increase HP for a T over the years, you can easily get 50 to 60 HP from your T. :D I got 2 HP just bolting on my APCO explosion proof muffler with a built in cutout! :lol:
I fish also.
"Lies, damn lies, and Model T HP claims."

Mark Twain (sort of) ;)
1924 Touring

2nighthawks
First Name: Harold
Last Name: Schwendeman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 Roadster Pickup, '26 Touring, '27 Depot Hack, '23 Roadster
MTFCA Number: 0
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by 2nighthawks » Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:25 pm

To add a bit to what Adrian Whiteman and Neil Kaminar posted above, I bought an amateur restored, but quite nice driver grade '26 Touring from the widow of the fellow who restored it and for whatever reason (???) had installed a Ruckstell rear end as well as an iron Warford auxiliary transmission. With the Ruckstell, the Warford and the Ford planetary all in low, that thing with just the stock engine develops unbelievable torque. I have a Model A and several other Model T's readily available to drive, maintain, play with, etc., and the '26 Touring is normally left in the garage at our place in the San Juan Islands here in WA that the whole family is free to use as a sort of "vacation" home, and I have advised family members to feel free to "play with" the '26 Touring as they wish, but to keep in mind that with everything geared down for low speed but that even with only 20 hp, and "power like a tractor", to keep in mind that it can actually "hurt itself" if "misused"! For what it's worth,.....harold

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic