Buying a T

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
1194668jc
First Name: John
Last Name: Crespo
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: None! (For now...)

Buying a T

Post by 1194668jc » Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:18 pm

Dear MTFCA mates,
I have been working very hard to earn at least $7,000 by the beginning of the next year. I have made $2,000 so far. That being said, does anybody know of a site were you can find cheap, plentiful, and decently running Ts?

OilyBill
First Name: William
Last Name: May
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Runabout

Re: Buying a T

Post by OilyBill » Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:25 pm

Check on here often.
Also, join a local Model T Club, if there is one.
Many times older members would rather their cars go to a younger person who will enrich the hobby, rather than just get the highest price for their car, and see it stored away by some collector, rather than used.
They can't afford to just give them away, but they often will give special consideration to someone who is actively looking for a car.
For a lot of people, (like myself, for instance) getting relatives involved in the hobby is not an option. In my case, I have no children, and my nieces and nephews have zero interest in old cars.
So, check around locally, join a local club, check on the postings here, and you may be surprised at what rolls out of a barn, looking for a new owner.

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:42 am

Fortunately you have an active Model T club in southern Nevada. That would be a good place to start.

Here's Bob Coiro's advice on shopping for a T: http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG98.html

This will give you an idea of prices: http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG99.html

This page suggests some places to sell a T, so they would apply for buying one also: http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG100.html
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Topic author
1194668jc
Last Name: Crespo
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: None! (For now...)

Post by 1194668jc » Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:57 am

Thanks a lot for the info! That helpls a lot!!!

TWrenn
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Wrenn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13 Touring, '26 "Overlap" Fordor
MTFCA Number: 30701
MTFCI Number: 24033
Board Member Since: 2019

Post by TWrenn » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:07 am

Only thing I'd like to caution is, for the "under $10K mark", it may run decently, for the time being, but more than likely it will need an engine overhaul. Just saying. Good luck with your search, after all, that's half the fun!!

NealW
First Name: Neal
Last Name: Willford
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Touring, 1915 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 50256

Post by NealW » Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:09 am

My observation, from watching T listings over the past couple of years, is that you will probably get more for a fixed dollar budget if you are OK with buying a T from 1923 to 1927. There were more T's made in those years, and more seemed to have been restored. The two pictures below show the distribution of T's by model year listed on Hemmings and ClassicCars this morning. Granted, the numbers are polluted a bit by T buckets, but generally there are more T's from 23-27 for sale at a given time, and the price generally tends to be less than for 22 and earlier. Brass T's (16 and earlier) are even more pricey.

Another factor is what body style you want. Runabouts and Coupes tend to command a lower price for a given condition. Speaking of T's for sale, I've noticed that there generally is less for sale for this time of year than in in years past. Possibly Covid is playing a role in that, though I seem to recall that last summer the number for sale was down some. Right now there's only 94 for sale on Hemmings. That's down from about 150 or so two years ago.
Attachments
Hemmings.JPG
Hemmings.JPG (15.99 KiB) Viewed 3699 times
CC.JPG
CC.JPG (23.14 KiB) Viewed 3699 times

Darin Hull
First Name: Darin
Last Name: Hull
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 Model T
MTFCA Number: 29699
MTFCI Number: 25147
Board Member Since: 2010

Post by Darin Hull » Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:12 pm

Steve,

Thank you for that link... interesting read and good to get a decent ballpark. I wonder the difference between the Ts ask price versus eventual sale price offered in the MTFCA and MTFCI classifieds.

Darin

John Codman
Last Name: Codman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Youring

Post by John Codman » Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:23 pm

As was said before, Closed cars (With the possible exception of the centerdoor sedan) usually bring less money then open. One reason for this is that the closed cars are not great parade cars whereas open cars are. If the T is equipped with a distributor, be careful about hand cranking the engine. Unless the distributor is set up with the proper spark advance curve, the engine is more likely to kick back when handcranking then magneto-equipped cars. Some people prefer the distributor, but to me, the T's strange ignition system is a big piece of what makes the T such fun.

HPetrino
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Petrino
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1918 TT

Post by HPetrino » Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:33 pm

You should also be thinking about your plan once you have a T and it's "on the road". Living in Henderson, NV means there are a lot of very lonely roads to explore. Think about what you should carry with you in the way of tools, duct tape, baling wire, etc. Always carry a cell phone. Always be sure someone knows where you're going and when to expect you to return.

I know, I sound like a frightened old person, but a lifetime of experience has taught me to be prepared. Driving a T is not like driving a modern car and requires a little different thought process.

John kuehn
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:34 pm

Hello
As stated in other postings the black era cars will be more plentiful and maybe cheaper on the price than a Brass T from 16 back.
Black era cars are from 17-25 and called that because black was the only color you could get and those years were when they were more cars made than the earlier years and the later 26-27 years.
In 26 -27 you could get black and about 4 other colors as I remember.
The open cars are the most popular because there was more of them made and the body sheet metal is being reproduced. The closed car body metal is for the most part not being made and if come across a closed T be sure the main body is in good sharp and all there. And some do prefer a closed car and lots of guys have and drive them.

I would buy a good running T to avoid having to spend a lot of money rebuilding it completely.
And be aware that Model T’s are 100 year old technology and drive the same! They don’t have brakes like your probably accustomed to so be prepared to drive one like you don’t have modern acting brakes!!!
If your mechanically inclined you can learn how to work on them as most of us here did.
They are fun cars to work on and drive and as others will tell you read ALL you can about them and get the Ford service manual and other books about how to work on them.

Jeff Hood
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Hood
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Touring, 1923 Fordor, 1924 Martin Parry Canopy Express, 1925 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 25636

Post by Jeff Hood » Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:14 pm

You are near Las Vegas, you should definitely seek out the Southern Nevada Model T Club. southernnevadamodeltclub.org You will find friendship, advice, and quite possibly a nice Model T.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic