How to Paint a T?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
1194668jc
First Name: John
Last Name: Crespo
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: None! (For now...)

How to Paint a T?

Post by 1194668jc » Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:26 pm

I have found that people who own Ts tend to keep it original to its initial looks. But I sometimes see otherwise, like a red 1924 touring or a tricolor body, a green-painted engine, signal lights in the rear, etc. My question is how do you paint a T? What colors? What paint? Thank you!

Susanne
First Name: Susanne
Last Name: Rohner
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Late '15 touring, "Angel".
MTFCA Number: 464
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 1999

Re: How to Paint a T?

Post by Susanne » Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:36 pm

All depends on the year of the car... Since the neither the original japanned enamel nor Pyroxylin paints are manufactured any more, best case scenario is to use whatever you;re most comfortable using... Mine actually is black imron, which is nowhere close to what Henry used... shiny, pretty, and (fairly) durable over the past 45 years, but not without its issues...

Squirrel
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Forbes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Coupe
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by Squirrel » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:11 pm

Whoever painted mine, didn't take anything apart...it's a mess. Take your time, don't rush, and don't get someone who's not familiar with very old cars to paint it.

As for the finish material, whoever is painting it (if it's not you) probably has their own preferences, and should be left to them. Unless they want to use materials that you think are just wrong...in which case, find someone else to do it, or do it yourself.

NealW
First Name: Neal
Last Name: Willford
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Touring, 1915 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 50256

Post by NealW » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:30 pm

My question is how do you paint a T?
I wrote this post last year summarizing my experience as a first time Model T painter. Perhaps you will find it helpful:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6764&p=51027#p51027

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:05 am

My question is how do you paint a T? What colors? What paint?

For colors I prefer original. That includes wheels. So-called "natural" wheels are a modern fad. For wood wheels I prefer body color, as God and Henry intended. I dislike a glossy undercarriage. I think a satin finish on chassis parts looks better. I used glossy paint on an engine and hated it. Repainting with a satin finish was an easy choice. For chassis parts (engine, pans, frame, springs, fasteners, etc.) I use rattle can satin finish Rustoleum. It looks good and is quite durable.

Bruce McCalley's Model T Encyclopedia (the best fifty bucks you can spend on a Model T) gives a lot of good information and advice on paints and colors, including before and after the black era.

I haven't painted enough to be expert at it, but one thing I'll recommend that I haven't seen mentioned yet is wiping the patient with a tack cloth to remove dust before painting.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by DanTreace » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:29 am

Steve Jelf wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:05 am

So-called "natural" wheels are a modern fad. For wood wheels I prefer body color, as God and Henry intended.

The almighty sure thought of natural finish wood wheels in the old days ;)

Ford made it option for 1926 too...

The many aftermarket companies marketed natural finish with varnish, and many folks chose that over the paint which hides the fine grain of hickory spokes.

I like 'em and on T's. :D

note last line.....black or natural finish....
IMG_2345 (700x393).jpg
Scan0705 (550x398).jpg
Scan0705 (550x398).jpg (145.03 KiB) Viewed 3594 times
Ford, NOS in the crate, natural
DSC00821%20630x840_zpsjndqsgzv (525x700).jpg
DSC00821%20630x840_zpsjndqsgzv (525x700).jpg (184.01 KiB) Viewed 3594 times
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:19 am

I realize that how you paint depends on which year and which body you have. The one I painted was a 26 touring which is an all steel body. First I did all the dent straightening and welding up rusted out places (which were few). Then I used an epoxy primer on the bare metal including the inside as well as the outside and made sure it would flow into any hidden areas so that rust could not form from the inside. Then I used what necessary body filler I needed to get a completely smooth surface. It is a mistake to think that the final coat will fill in all the imperfections! Must get them filled with bondo or sandable primer. Before you paint try to smooth things out by hammering, grinding or filing so that the filler will be as thin and as little as possible.
I painted each fender, hood panel, door and other removable parts separately with sandable primer and sanded to the smoothest surface as I could get. Then I used acrillic catalitic enamel. Note, I did not use a clear coat. I park inside and when I wash, I use the cleaner which contains wax, so I do not need to wax the finish either. So far it has lasted 18 years and still looks good. I used a color which was from a color chart used on the 27. Although I had a 26, I wanted a little color, but the 26 and 27 bodies look almost identical. I put the body up on horses so I could paint underneath as well as the rest of the body. I did not put finish coat on the inside of the body, but did put black on the fenders and running boards and all the black parts of the car. Both underneath and on top. The chassis was painted gloss black as well as the transmission and crankcase. However since the engine on that year was green, I painted it green. The color is not a match, but it was what I could find in a spray can. You need heat resistant paint for the engine. The horses on which the body was placed were constructed in such a way that I could roll the chassis under. The wire wheels were painted "Straw".
Norm
26 touring as purchased.jpg
26 touring as purchased.jpg (61.04 KiB) Viewed 3569 times
painting.jpg
painted parts.jpg
painted parts.jpg (59.52 KiB) Viewed 3569 times
engine2.jpg
engine2.jpg (44.85 KiB) Viewed 3569 times
engine3.jpg
engine3.jpg (23 KiB) Viewed 3569 times

JvanMaanen
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Van Maanen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 15 Touring, 19 roadster, 22 Coupe, 08 SR
MTFCA Number: 373
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 184

Post by JvanMaanen » Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:47 pm

Having painted a few of various years, I would strongly suggest using a self etching primer on any bare metal. Then put on the primer of your choice. The bottom layer of self etching ensures a good bond with the old metal you will be covering, and often some of the stripped metal sets a while as you work on other parts before it is painted. It is no fun to have that fine finish you put a lot of work into peel off in places later on.

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:46 pm

The almighty sure thought of natural finish wood wheels in the old days ;)
Ford made it option for 1926 too...

Yes, I should have mentioned it becoming a Ford option in 1926. But how many period photos have you seen of Fords having that option? I would guess very few. I think most of the cars you see with "natural" wheels today originally wore painted spokes.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:58 pm

Some info on paint colors and
https://www.fordmodelt.net/p-r.htm
From Texas T
Attachments
Paint by year.jpg
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic