Enclosed Trailer Dimensions

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Brandonav8r
First Name: Brandon
Last Name: Howard

Enclosed Trailer Dimensions

Post by Brandonav8r » Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:03 am

Hello! Long time reader; first time poster. I'm looking for an enclosed trailer to tow a '26 Tudor and Roadster. They both seem to measure to 75". I've looked over the forum and tried some online searches. I was hoping for some more feedback. Would the 7 foot trailer height be enough clearance on the top? Most of these trailers have 82 inch interior height, with around 79 inches of door opening height. Some offer a beavertail that would increase the door clearance height to about 81 inches.

Would that be enough height for the cars to fit inside? So Far I've looked at Car Mate, Proline Trailers (NH), an ATC. What others should I investigate?

Thanks!

John Codman
First Name: John
Last Name: Codman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Youring

Re: Enclosed Trailer Dimensions

Post by John Codman » Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:24 pm

My 16-footer advertises 84" height, and it is if you are stacking boxes, but the minimum loading door clearance is 81 inches. I have a '27 Touring car and it does measure 75 inches at it's highest point; earlier Ts are two to four inches taller but would still fit. I have a friend who has a '24 Touring car and he gets it into his trailer which is the same height as mine, but he almost always drives with his top down. I don't know if it will go in top up or not.

Fire_chief
First Name: Charlie
Last Name: Gagel
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 12 Tourings(2),14 Tourings(2),15 Touring,22Touring,22 TT,21 Fire Truck,14 Chief Car
MTFCA Number: 8377
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 22437

Post by Fire_chief » Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:29 pm

Also consider that the car will bounce within the trailer when traveling. Extra height will be needed. Ask me how I know.

rickd
First Name: Rick
Last Name: Duquette
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 Touring, 1914 Touring, 1925 Touring, 1927 PU, 1955 T Bird, 69 Shelby GT 350
MTFCA Number: 21848
MTFCI Number: 22173
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by rickd » Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:47 pm

I had a 16' and now a 20' Pace American. 8.5 wide, 84 inches height. Look on line at their car hauler line of trailers. I have had good luck with them, a good value for the money.

Walter Higgins
First Name: Walter
Last Name: Higgins
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Open Runabout
MTFCA Number: 396
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 153

Post by Walter Higgins » Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:20 pm

Brandonav8r wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:03 am
What others should I investigate?
Wells Cargo.

2nighthawks
First Name: Harold
Last Name: Schwendeman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 Roadster Pickup, '26 Touring, '27 Depot Hack, '23 Roadster
MTFCA Number: 0
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by 2nighthawks » Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:22 pm

I have a '27 ft Interstate inclosed trailer with vee-nose that I bought from a Trailers Plus dealer. The Model name is "All Sport", mainly because it can be used as a "toy-hauler" but built with all the strength of a car hauler trailer that can handle any full size modern vehicle as well as my Model T's and Model A. A few features that I really like are as follows:

Rear door clearance is 84" which clears my tallest Model T ('23 roadster pickup) with top up. Note that this trailer has the extra height but only 6" extra (not the usual option of an extra foot) which is enough but not more than needed for my tallest Model T. A big help is that the 84" rear door clearance is partly due to the beavertail feature. Also, many trailers with extra foot height look cumbersome but not mine so much with only 6" extra height. And, while it does have a bit of extra ground clearance, which is nice, but not so much as to look "top-heavy" like most toy haulers. (.....it really doesn't LOOK like a toy-hauler!)

Also, I like the fact that Trailers Plus dealers are located with over 40 dealers all over the USA. Nice if you have a problem, and my dealer has me bring the trailer into their facility once a year for free annual safety inspection and lubrication, etc, etc every year!

The Interstate All-Sport model has a very strong rear ramp door, and matching ramp door on one side of vee-nose as well, which I have permanently locked because I'll never use it, but that doesn't hurt to have anyway. And because it is so strong, it's a great place to mount heavy duty shelves, cabinets, etc., etc.

Find your nearest Trailers Plus dealer and check out the Interstate All-Sport,....you'll like it! Understand that while I this sounds like a commercial advert for Trailers Plus, I have nothing to do with them except that I am a very, VERY satisfied customer of Trailers Plus and my Interstate trailer,.......FWIW,.....harold

2nighthawks
First Name: Harold
Last Name: Schwendeman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 Roadster Pickup, '26 Touring, '27 Depot Hack, '23 Roadster
MTFCA Number: 0
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by 2nighthawks » Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:35 pm

........Brandon Howard,....I should have suggested to you to Google Interstate All-Sport trailer and you'll find information, pictures, etc, etc,.....harold

John Codman

Post by John Codman » Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:36 pm

I am very happy with my Integrity trailer. As to fire chief's comment, your T will not bounce if you tie it down properly. I use two straps in front; one over each side of the front crossmember anchored diagonally outward towards the sides of the trailer. I use and two more straps over each side of the rear crossmember attached to an anchor in the center of the trailer's floor. I tie down the front first which pulls the T against a front full-width wheel chock that is bolted through the floor to the trailer's frame. My old T ain't going anywhere - on the trip down to Florida from Massachusetts it survived two separate panic stops when drivers entered my lane at very low speed without signaling. The T didn't move at all.

Dbutler56
First Name: David
Last Name: Butler

Post by Dbutler56 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:45 pm

A antique car mechanic, much smarter than me, cautioned against “over building” the trailer. Very heavy duty axles and suspension mean a harder ride for the car. Torsion axles help.

He tied his brass car and arrived at the destination with the spoke wheels having broken and his car on the ground.

Hard to imagine but I have heard it now from 2 different brass guys.

John Codman

Post by John Codman » Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:46 pm

My personal feeling is that if the spokes failed during a trailer trip they probably needed to be replaced before the trip.

FreighTer Jim
First Name: James
Last Name: Jarzabek
MTFCA Number: 29562
MTFCI Number: 24398
Board Member Since: 2008

Start At The Beginning

Post by FreighTer Jim » Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:17 pm

Hello Brandon 👋

What is the tow capacity of the vehicle you
are using to pull the trailer ?

Figure that out first - then deduct the actual curb weight of the Model T’s you will be hauling.

What is left will be the curb weight of the trailer you can safely tow.

That will determine if you purchase a steel or aluminum frame trailer.

The curb weight of the trailer with the vehicle(s) loaded and any other items or accessories you plan on transporting with the vehicle(s) should not exceed 75% of your tow vehicle capacity.

FJ
Google “ Model T Transport “
MTFCA - MTFCI - MAFCA Member

FreighTer Jim

I Agree

Post by FreighTer Jim » Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:24 pm

John Codman wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:46 pm
My personal feeling is that if the spokes failed during a trailer trip they probably needed to be replaced before the trip.
I Agree 👍

A wheel that fails on a vehicle being transported
in an enclosed trailer would have failed while operating the vehicle on the road.

Unless the enclosed trailer was damaged while being towed somehow.

I had a 1908 Thomas Flyer ( tribute car ) collapse inside my enclosed car trailer during transport
from Colorado to Washington.

Turns out the frame was being held together by C Clamps and angle iron 🙄

FJ

Michael Peternell
First Name: Michael
Last Name: Peternell
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: TT gas truck, T tractor conversions, '15 touring, '17 speedster, '26 16 valve speedster

Post by Michael Peternell » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:08 pm

I am also in the process of ordering an enclosed trailer. Some place there was a discussion and 7' 3" door and interior clearance was mentioned as a minimum for transporting a T. I can't find it back. Is 7' clearance enough? Seems that's more readily available.

FreighTer Jim

8 Feet Might Not Be Enough

Post by FreighTer Jim » Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:52 am

There has been a time or two when my 8 foot rear door clearance had been challenged 😉

423F6CF6-B4D5-49EA-BB48-BC289D200485.jpeg

CD8A529B-3BAD-46CD-9DAE-64199B73990D.jpeg

FJ

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic