Removing hogs head

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
geoffrey mark
First Name: geoffrey
Last Name: mark

Removing hogs head

Post by geoffrey mark » Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:46 pm

Any tips on removing hogs head and refitting , trying to cure a bad oil leak , how do you make more room at drive shaft end ? Thanks

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Re: Removing hogs head

Post by Steve Jelf » Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:31 pm

...how do you make more room at drive shaft end?

Not sure what that means.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by DanTreace » Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:47 pm

Ford Service Chapter XII will show the way, step by step.

IMO, everyone will do the first one with some trouble, but after that first ride on the bicycle, you learn.

For me, I take time, and remove all the things in the way, exhaust, pedals, any attachments like brake lite switch, out side brake fittings etc.
Then for the rear, like to remove all 4 bolts at the ball cap, that helps make room too. When installing, usually just trim the upper section of the 4th main gasket, and add a new upper side piece trimmed from a complete gasket.

340155.jpg

On install, lots of Permatex, and for me, wrapping the dangling clutch fork with nylon tie strap, keeps it in line with the clutch lever, that I hold and direct that fork with one hand, and the other on the interior of the inspection hole, and fit the hogshead back into place.

Permatex 2 on all surface and over felt circle.jpg
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:05 pm

What I do is as Dan said remove things out of the way. Remove the cover and clean up all the gasket surfaces both on the cover and on the engine pan.
After that’s done use Permatex on the engine pan and lay the gaskets down on the pan and lightly press and position in place and let them set up to secure them.
I found by doing this it keeps the gasket in place and no juggling or maneuvering is required.

There is a piece of felt that goes between the cover and engine block. Also secure it with a light bead of Permatex to hold it in place.
Coat the Transmission cover surfaces with Permatex and then lower the cover onto the engine. When the cover is bolted down use a little Permatex in the corners where it meets up with pan.
Shouldn’t have any leaks.

RustyFords
First Name: Don
Last Name: Allen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50001

Post by RustyFords » Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:02 pm

I’ll probably get a lot of disagreement about this but...I’ll never pull and reinstall another hogshead while the engine is in the car.

That was the single most unpleasant automotive task I’ve ever done.

I’ll happily pull the engine to do it should the need ever arise again.
1924 Touring

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:25 pm

To make room at the driveshaft end, I hook a tiedown strap around the front of a radius rod and loop the other end around the rear cross member. When tension is applied, this has the effect of hauling the driveshaft ball end back as the load is applied to the spring and shackles. That little bit gained is a.big help when trying to lower the cover back down. It enebles the rear of the cover to be a little to the rear, so the front can be more easily lowered at the angle required.
I tie the bronze clutch throw with dental floss to keep it in place. That can stay there right through the process. It doesn't matter if you can't get it all out later. Rather than cut the ball gasket in two, I slit a new one on an angle at the top, and feed it into place before relaxing the tiedown. That way the two lower bolts will hold the whole in place, and you only have the one joint at the top to worry about.
In one of the 'Tinkerin' Tips books, it suggests holding the gaskets in place with some pan bolts, inserted from below, and held in place with cotter pins. I find this most useful. The gaskets cannot be displaced accidentally, and they are easily removed prior to tightening the pan rail bolts.
It is a bugger of a job in the car, but is much more manageable with a second pair of hands working on the other side of the car.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

paddy1998
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Delaney
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922/23 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50356

Post by paddy1998 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:15 am

RustyFords wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:02 pm
I’ll probably get a lot of disagreement about this but...I’ll never pull and reinstall another hogshead while the engine is in the car.

That was the single most unpleasant automotive task I’ve ever done.

I’ll happily pull the engine to do it should the need ever arise again.
Totally agree. Having done both, just pulling the engine is so much easier. Not just that it's easier to access the hogshead with the engine out, but pulling the whole engine is an easier process with less aggravation, IMHO.

ABoer
First Name: Anthonie
Last Name: Boer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 touring 1923 roadster 1925 pickup
MTFCA Number: 19790

Post by ABoer » Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:23 am

To mount the hogs head , I got some help of my hoist.
Toon
IMG_1217.JPG
IMGP0169.JPG

bobt
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Thompson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 touring 1926 roadster

Post by bobt » Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:17 am

I've removed two hogsheads so far. One was in a 1913 the other was in a 1915. I had to remove the exhaust manifold both times to get them out. Also, I didn't use just permatex. I used permatex ultra black.

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:09 am

The last trans cover I removed was in my 24 Coupe. I pulled it off and replaced it while the engine was in the car. That was a few years ago BUT now since I’m older and can’t twist and turn like I use to I’m not so sure about doing it again! Took about a day at the time and a few breaks between the effort. :roll:

R.V.Anderson
First Name: R.V.
Last Name: Anderson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914, 1920, 1923, 1923

Post by R.V.Anderson » Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:00 pm

Lots of good advice here. To give yourself more room at the driveshaft end, first put chocks up tight behind the front wheels. Then jack up the rear axle just enough to get a couple pieces of 2 x 4 under the rear wheels. Place them so that the back edge of each 2 x 4 is just a hair forward of the wheels' vertical centerline. When you let the jack down, the rear wheels will roll backward off the wood while the chocked front wheels stay put, pulling the driveshaft back about a half inch. That half inch will give you plenty of room to maneuver the cover.

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:16 am

Dang me RV. now I know why spell checker rejected my spelling of maneouvre. You guys have dropped the o and reversed the re on the end.

Allan from down under

Steve Jelf
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:45 am

I'm with Don and Scott. I'd rather pull the engine and do the job out of the car. Anthonie's suggestion of a hoist is especially good with a cast iron hogshead.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

RajoRacer
Last Name: Tomaso
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1919 Centerdoor, 1924 TT C-Cab Express, 1925 Racer
MTFCA Number: 14972
MTFCI Number: 15411
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by RajoRacer » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:05 am

Agreed - as we get a bit older, it's easier on the "old bod" to just remove the engine and you get a much better job at sealing up the trans. cover !

R.V.Anderson
First Name: R.V.
Last Name: Anderson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914, 1920, 1923, 1923

Post by R.V.Anderson » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:10 am

Allan: :lol: :lol: :lol:

RustyFords
First Name: Don
Last Name: Allen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50001

Post by RustyFords » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:28 am

Steve Jelf wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:45 am
I'm with Don and Scott. I'd rather pull the engine and do the job out of the car. Anthonie's suggestion of a hoist is especially good with a cast iron hogshead.
RajoRacer wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:05 am
Agreed - as we get a bit older, it's easier on the "old bod" to just remove the engine and you get a much better job at sealing up the trans. cover !
Good points.

Getting a proper seal is a real bugger on an "in the car" installation. My current engine was done outside the car and it doesn't leak oil at all out of any hogshead gasket surface.

Don't get me wrong...it leaks from other places...just not the the hogshead mating/gasket surfaces.
1924 Touring

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic