MTFCA and MTFCI Representation in Georgia

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Darin Hull
First Name: Darin
Last Name: Hull
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 Model T
MTFCA Number: 29699
MTFCI Number: 25147
Board Member Since: 2010

MTFCA and MTFCI Representation in Georgia

Post by Darin Hull » Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:44 am

Hello,

There is no MTFCA chapter in Georgia... I saw in a thread from a couple years ago, Robert Brough expressed some interest in seeing if there were enough folks in North Georgia to start one up.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/70 ... 1501622459

Robert, are you out there or any other T folks in North Georgia who have heard anything on this front? Or anyone in Georgia have an interest?

There is a MTFCI in Fairmount Georgia, the North Georgia T’s, and appear to be lead by Calvin Watts. I wrote him a few weeks ago but haven’t heard back... anyone know his contact info beside mailing address?

Would like to find or start an active club. Despite being a member of MTFCA and MTFCI, I have more of an attachment to MTFCA because of my grandpa’s history with the Southwest Ohio Model T Club. Mainly, looking to start getting more involved in the hobby.

Thank you for your time,
Darin

Luke
First Name: Luke
Last Name: P
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926

Re: MTFCA and MTFCI Representation in Georgia

Post by Luke » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:02 pm

Darin,

Unfortunately I can't help you, although I wish you a good outcome in your pursuit.

My reason for responding is that I have a little personal interest in what you come up with. My own Model T was shipped from Douglasville, GA, in about 2012 and although I've been able to find out a little about the last U.S. owner I know nothing further back about its history. I believe it had some extensive panel work done, probably local to Douglasville or Atlanta, but that's pretty much the extent of my knowledge.

Because I'd really like to know more about it, and as I live in New Zealand, I've been hoping to find someone living in the area that might either know a little more about where it came from, or could perhaps assist by making some enquiries on my behalf. I believe the previous owner (who has subsequently passed away) may well have been prominent enough in the community that someone might have known him, and where he got the T from.

It's that 'local knowledge' thing that's needed I guess, and someone that's interested in T's. If it were here where I live and I was trying to track down a car there's a few people I could call and eventually (hopefully) one would strike gold, but it's made a lot harder when you're a few thousand miles across a lot of ocean away :-)

So if you have some success, and/or you came across a T owner living nearby where my car came from, I'd be most obliged if you could pass on my interest and quest. If anyone was able to help I'd be very grateful.

Thanks, Luke.

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:02 am

...anyone know his contact info beside mailing address?

That is my gripe about a lot of local clubs. Snail mail only. No website, no phone, no email. No website doesn't bother me, as that takes work. But at this point in the twenty-first century who doesn't have email? This problem seems especially prevalent among MTFCI local clubs. Most of them still have only snail mail contacts.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Jim_PTC_GA
First Name: James
Last Name: Fisher
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924, 1925-ish
MTFCA Number: 31822
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by Jim_PTC_GA » Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:31 am

Hello Darin,
I would like to see a club here in GA too. I know there are other T guys here in GA some on the forum some not. I don't get out of my area much due to a disability but I have met a few. I mostly like working on the Ts as a way to pass the time and only drive local. I can't do much more than that. I know the Fairmount area I grew up around Calhoun and Lafayette. Im down in Peachtree City now.
Attachments
IMG_20180614_081739449-1336x752-1002x564.jpg
2020_0617_07205200_copy_819x614.jpg
Just give me time to Rust and I'll be good as new. :) Wabi-Sabi

DLodge
First Name: Dick
Last Name: Lodge
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 19659
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by DLodge » Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:22 am

Steve Jelf wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:02 am
...But at this point in the twenty-first century who doesn't have email?
Uh..... a lotta people our age, Steve.

I share the frustration, though. Next in line are the people who say they have email. When asked how often they check it, they say, "About once a week." Then I ask them if they have a box on the front of the house into which someone comes and puts letters. When they confirm that they do, I ask how often they check it. "Well, every day, of course." Jeez! Why do think it's called email? ?

Topic author
Darin Hull

Post by Darin Hull » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:45 pm

Steve,

You are definitely on the leading edge on communication with a website, a facebook page you administer, activity on this forum, email, etc.. but you're right, a simple email or phone number would be great. I haven't heard back from the MTFCI chapter I mailed, yet. No idea if they are active or not because of the limited communication abilities.

The current environment may not be the ideal time; however, maybe a MTFCA chapter could come into fruition eventually down here in ol' Georgia.

Darin

Topic author
Darin Hull

Post by Darin Hull » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:47 pm

Luke,

I don't know if I can help but I do live and work in metro Atlanta. I've emailed you hoping there's a chance I may be able to assist.

Darin

Luke
First Name: Luke
Last Name: P
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926

Post by Luke » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:24 pm

Darin,

It's very kind of you to offer your help, thank you - very much.

I've responded to your email (where's the thumbs up emoticon! 8-)

Cheers, Luke.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic