noticed a difference(H V intake manifold)

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Tim Williams
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Williams
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Model T Speedster, 1922 Model t Speedster project

noticed a difference(H V intake manifold)

Post by Tim Williams » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:58 am

Just wanted to say that I noticed a difference in performance by switching my stock intake manifold to the High Volume intake manifold. I run a texas T modern carb. Anyone else have a similar experience?

Tim Williams

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Re: noticed a difference(H V intake manifold)

Post by Norman Kling » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:06 am

I have a completely stock engine, even sleeved back to original bore. Has aluminum pistons and standard size(SKAT)crank. I won a high volume intake manifold as a door prize. I use a Holly NH carburetor and Anderson timer. It ran good at high speeds with partially open throttle, but slow on low speed and hill climbing. When the throttle was opened it didn't seem to get enough gas. I put back the stock intake manifold and it pulls very well.
I think the manifold would work very well if you made other modifications such as increased exhaust volume and higher compression and a different carburetor, but not so good with stock. I compare with blowing with your lips puckered (standard) and blowing with mouth open. When the throttle is wide open there is not enough vacuum to suck in the fuel.
Norm

Topic author
Tim Williams
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Williams
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Model T Speedster, 1922 Model t Speedster project

Post by Tim Williams » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:47 am

Norman,

My engine is standard bore with cast iron pistons, I have a Z head and a exhaust header. My car is a speedster. I also use an electric fuel pump.

Tim Williams.

R.V.Anderson
First Name: R.V.
Last Name: Anderson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914, 1920, 1923, 1923

Post by R.V.Anderson » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:15 pm

I seem to recall an earlier thread in which the OP asked which single, bolt-on type speed/power accessory would give the most bang for the buck if that was the only change made to the engine. I don't recall what the consensus was, if any.

Moxie26
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Jablonski
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 407
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Moxie26 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:03 pm

RV, there's many additions that give their own particular boost to the Model T engine. Some would put a 7° advanced timing gear, a Z high compression cylinder head, a 280 camshaft, " high compression " pistons, a high volume intake manifold, a straight NH carburetor, Riley high lift lifters, synthetic engine oil..(your choice of multi-weight or straight),. Or even a change in the ignition system whether it be a distributor, a different commutator, the new " I " Timer or the new "E" Timer. ...... .. Knowing what I've learned for the past,. .... I would pick the. "E " Timer . As a single most effective addition to the Model T engine performance.

Moxie26
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Jablonski
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 407
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Moxie26 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:08 pm

And to rank that top pick, I'd say be a tie with the ECCT system of tuning ignition coils. Those that have used either of these items have been vocally pleased with the results.....

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic