Ultrasonic cleaning solution

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Pat Branigan Wisc
First Name: Pat
Last Name: Branigan
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 two1910, two1911, 1913 Tourings
MTFCA Number: 52262

Ultrasonic cleaning solution

Post by Pat Branigan Wisc » Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:15 pm

Looking for input on what is being used for the cleaning solution for carburetors in an ultrasonic cleaner? Brass, Iron or Aluminum carbs.

Duey_C
First Name: Duane
Last Name: Cooley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 18 Runabout, 24 Runabout for 20yrs, 25 TT, late Center Door project, open express pickup
MTFCA Number: 32488
Board Member Since: 2015

Re: Ultrasonic cleaning solution

Post by Duey_C » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:42 pm

Have a bottle from a friend's estate. Harbor Freight, US made, ultrasonic general purpose cleaning powder.
Might color-stain aluminum and magnesium parts. No hint of what's inside tho.
Some folks use vinegar I believe.
Since I lost my mind mind, I feel more liberated

PDGx
First Name: Paul
Last Name: Grohsmeyer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘17 TT Holmes Wrecker
MTFCA Number: 27359
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by PDGx » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:14 pm

I used vinegar..
Before cleaning
Before cleaning
After cleaning
After cleaning
After cleaning, blow it out and wipe it down good to clean off any loose gunk, then reclean again to get the best result.

I then clear coated it to try and extend the life.
If my short term memory gets any shorter, I won’t even have thought about what I’m going to forget.

17 TT Holmes Wrecker
22 Mack AC Tiltbed Wkr
30 A Rdstr PU
58 Mack B-61 Semi Tractor

Topic author
Pat Branigan Wisc
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 two1910, two1911, 1913 Tourings

Post by Pat Branigan Wisc » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:37 am

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

George Hand
First Name: George
Last Name: Hand
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 open express, 1920 touring, 1926 tudor-lisenced and insured, 1921tt project 1922 fendered chassis, 192x tt dootle bug 192xengine w/winch projects
MTFCA Number: 28114
MTFCI Number: 21834

Post by George Hand » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:13 am

I bought a HF ultrasonic cleaner, used it on some old metallic toy train parts with the HF powder, was not impressed should give it another try on something else. Has anyone used vinegar with an ultrasonic cleaner?

OilyBill
First Name: William
Last Name: May
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Runabout

Post by OilyBill » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:08 am

The first thing I do with any carb is plunk it in a small pail of EvapoRust. That includes brass and aluminum carbs. That takes care of all the rust. Then I disassemble from there. Getting rid of the rust first makes disassembly a LOT easier. When you put the penetrating oil on it, it can actually get into the fasteners, rather than being obstructed by the rust layer. Evaporust has no effect on aluminum or brass, so you don't have to worry about it attacking them while soaking.

Susanne
First Name: Susanne
Last Name: Rohner
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Late '15 touring, "Angel".
MTFCA Number: 464
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Susanne » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:14 am

George Hand wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:13 am
I bought a HF ultrasonic cleaner, used it on some old metallic toy train parts with the HF powder, was not impressed should give it another try on something else. Has anyone used vinegar with an ultrasonic cleaner?
Psssst - look up 2 posts...
PDGx wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:14 pm
I used vinegar..

(Pix removed to save space)

After cleaning, blow it out and wipe it down good to clean off any loose gunk, then reclean again to get the best result.
I then clear coated it to try and extend the life.
I gotta try this.

Ddaved
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Dunlavy
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915
MTFCA Number: 220
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by Ddaved » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:51 am

One of my mentors has been using Simple Green for years in the HF ultrasonic cleaner. Straight out of the bottle. Inexpensive when on sale. I've used it for the past 4 years. Very pleased.

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:55 am

Found a good article on ultrasonic cleaning - discusses factors that effect cleaning of materials : solution pH, temperature and tank time https://www.americanmachinist.com/shop- ... c-cleaning Here is a highlight - "You have to match the chemistry of the cleaning solution to the application. For example, when removing contaminants such as dirt, soil, oil, light grease, or carbon, a high pH, alkaline soap typically is required. Acids have a low pH value. High pH, alkaline solutions can clean almost anything, but if pH goes too high, especially with softer metals such as aluminum, parts can be damaged. Hard metals such as steel, stainless steel and titanium can handle high pH values, but steel is more prone to rusting with water-based chemistries, so steel or other ferrous metals require either a built-in rust inhibitor in the cleaning soap or a secondary rinse in a rust inhibitor." Neutral pH is 7.0 So the pH of vinegar, acid, is very low, 2.5. and wouldn't be effective. Next I looked for the pH values of some popular de-greasers and found a more generic list https://www.thespruce.com/ph-levels-for ... es-1900473 . Now since most of these would be mixed with water or whatever - it would be wise to get some pH test strips, Litmus paper, so you know what works or not. There were several other reviews using other cleaning products like Simple Green, Dawn, Krud Kutter, OxiKlean
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by DanTreace » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:31 am

Don't know if still used, but Stan Howe, the Brass Carb Hero, posted this info using Sonic Sheen for ultrasonic brass cleaning :D

By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Wednesday, April 16, 2014 - 10:59 am:
This is what I have been using lately. It's the best I've found and comes in a powder that you just mix with warm water. I've done about twenty runs of small parts and a couple carb bodies on about 4 heaping plastic teaspoons in my 2 liter ultrasonic and it is still working fine but getting really dirty. It is the first I've used this. Up until now I have been using Lyman's brass case cleaner. IMHO this is far better.

I do beadblast most things before I put them in the sonic but this stuff sure cleans out passages and puts and extra shine on. I also spend some time polishing after the parts dry. On some parts I spend quite a bit of time polishing. I don't know if this makes it easier to polish but it seems like it makes it shinier.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SONIC-SHEEN-Bra ... sh-Additiv e-Ultrasonic-Concentrate-/360761404665?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53ff0e2cf9

I don't throw the solutions out. I dump them in a clear plastic jar and leave it set for a week or so, most of the nasty stuff will settle out. It doesn't seem to really lose its strength.

It's amazing what comes out of the carb bodies after you think they are clean from bead blasting and/or carb cleaner. I don't use carb cleaner, most of it anymore is so weak all it does is make a mess out of the passages. But I get one in once in awhile that has been soaked in it.

I didn't do the ultrasonic cleaning for a long time, then got started with it and now do all the carbs in it after I bead blast, drill out or remove the passage plugs, etc. I'm now convinced it is the only way to really get the insides clean. It's a mess and takes more time but I think it's worth it. I am amazed at how clean they are internally after a zip through this stuff. Gotta have a good ultrasonic tho, one with heat and some power or you are just soaking it.

I've had a couple that spit out a big gob of gunk from a passage that I would have had to drill to clean but I still run a bit into a lot of passages. I run them through once for 20 minutes, blow the passages, run them through again for 5 or 10, blow the passages, run them through a third time if I think they need it and check the passages.

The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564

Post by Mark Gregush » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:42 am

Point to remember, Stan is using an industrial type ultrasonic with heat. I tried a HF, the middle of the road one they sell, took it back. Might be good for cleaning jewelry but not much else in my OP. I glass bead my carbs and clean passages as needed. We have a small HF blasting cabinet (next size up from the plastic box one) that works great for doing small stuff like carbs.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Kevin Pharis
First Name: Kevin
Last Name: Pharis

Post by Kevin Pharis » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:14 pm

Another consideration with the ultrasonic cleaners that hasn’t been discussed yet is “shadows”. You should be familiar with the design of your tank and the location of the sonic generators. The placement of the parts within the tank can be critical to getting repeatable cleaning results. Also many of the smaller units come with a perforated stainless steel basket to support the parts. This puts the part in a massive shadow and can dramatically increase the cleaning times. A simple wire hanger is best as it minimizes shadows, but is difficult to repeat position for consistent results. Sometimes it is necessary to reposition the parts multiple times during a cleaning cycle to achieve best results

BobShirleyAtlantaTx
First Name: Bob
Last Name: Shirley
MTFCA Number: 29135

Post by BobShirleyAtlantaTx » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:07 pm

Doing instrument repair back in the day, 1/3 each of distilled water, Parson’s ammonia, Mr. Clean. 24 hr max as it will eat brass If left for weeks. Keep it covered, and use in a well vented area.

Topic author
Pat Branigan Wisc

Post by Pat Branigan Wisc » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:50 pm

There has been alot of great information given. Thanks for taking the time to post!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic