Gasket question

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Oldav8tor
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Juhl
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1917 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50297
MTFCI Number: 24810
Board Member Since: 2018

Gasket question

Post by Oldav8tor » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:57 pm

With help from some great guys I managed to assemble my rear differential today... In fitting the driveshaft (with a Fun Projects modern Pinion bearing) it seems I could use some shims to set the depth that the pinion gear engages the ring gear. I had hoped to not use the flimsy paper gaskets that are available so this is my question:

For those of you who have made gaskets from Ultra Black or similar material, what typical gasket thickness results if you use only the sealant? I have been told when using the sealant to snug the bolts, wait hour or so and then torque them down. Comments?
1917 Touring
1946 Aeronca Champ
1952 Willys M38a1 Jeep (sold 2023)
1953 Ford Jubilee Tractor

Charles Weisgerber
First Name: Charles
Last Name: Weisgerber
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Tudor.
MTFCA Number: 32278
Board Member Since: 2015

Re: Gasket question

Post by Charles Weisgerber » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:54 am

If the pinion is setting too far in, you can use the paper gaskets to bring the pinion out some. That 's what the gaskets are really for. When I set up my pinion using the funprojects pinion bearing kit, new pinion and ring gear I used two paper gaskets. This made the pinion gear depth in relation to the perfect in my case. There is nothing wrong with using the gaskets if minor adjustments need to be made. If you need more then two then something else could be effecting the depth and needs to be investigated.

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Re: Gasket question

Post by Mark Gregush » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:06 am

Correct, the gaskets are for shimming, Ford did not use a gasket originally. The paper gasket(s) work fine and have been used for many years now.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic