Type of oil for Tiger Timer.

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Unprr
First Name: George
Last Name: Schmidt
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 coupe, 1924 Model T pickup
MTFCA Number: 49710

Type of oil for Tiger Timer.

Post by Unprr » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:01 pm

I just installed a NOS Tiger Timer. It says on the box, to keep well oiled. My question is, what weight oil should I use?

Kerry
First Name: Frank
Last Name: van Ekeren
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 touring, 1916 pick-up, 1924 coupe, 1926 touring, 1927 touring

Re: Type of oil for Tiger Timer.

Post by Kerry » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:28 pm

I found it doesn't matter what oil one uses with the tiger timers, they don't last very long regardless. :(

RajoRacer
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Tomaso
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1919 Centerdoor, 1924 TT C-Cab Express, 1925 Racer
MTFCA Number: 14972
MTFCI Number: 15411
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by RajoRacer » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:57 pm

I believe one used the oil in your oil can - 30 wt.

jiminbartow
First Name: James
Last Name: Patrick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 50126
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by jiminbartow » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:01 pm

One problem we have these days is that many lubricants contain additives that are conductive. Using these in a Model T can cause major problems with the electrical systems, such as the magneto and commutator (timer). Whatever you use to lubricate the timer roller, must not contain any additives that are electrically conductive. One problem with lubricating the Tiger timer with a thin liquid oil such as 3 in 1 oil (which is what is recommended) is that after a few revolutions, and the heat of the engine, the oil soon ends up in the bottom of the housing where it does no good. I remedied this with a concoction of my own. As a collector of antique phonographs, I was aware that Vaseline was recommended by Victor as a lubricant for the Victrola. Since Vaseline is a clean, thin, inert, non- conductive grease, I decided to use it to help lubricate my Tiger Timer. I bought a can of 3 in 1 oil and started mixing it with Vaseline, stirring the two lubricants together until I reached the consistency I thought would be perfect to lubricate the timer and roller on a longer term basis. I would describe the consistency as resembling honey, or molasses. Thick enough to remain in play, and not flow to the bottom of the housing, but thin enough to easily penetrate the roller, and stay on the roller and circular contacts. Only problem with this is that it cannot be dripped through the hole like liquid oil, but the housing must be removed and the lubricant must be smeared on the contacts inside of the housing and on the roller, but the good thing is that the timer stays lubricated for a much longer time. Jim Patrick

Stephen_heatherly
First Name: Stephen
Last Name: Heatherly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 coupe and 23 Runabout

Post by Stephen_heatherly » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:18 pm

I just use the same oil as I use in the engine. A roller timer will last quite a while as long as it's kept clean and well oiled.

Stephen

JRSpada4
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Spadafore
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Touring
MTFCA Number: 49891
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by JRSpada4 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:18 am

I use the same oil in my Ruckstell (75w90) in my oil can. A couple drops on either side of the roller and a smear of dielectric grease on the contact faces. For whatever reason, I’ve never had any luck with Vaseline or straight just dripping oil into the hole on the timer (Tiger or Ford roller timer).

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic