Petcock insert spinning in the oil pan. Do I need to pull the engine?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
NorthSouth
First Name: Steve
Last Name: California
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Touring, 1912 Warren Speedster
MTFCA Number: 50392

Petcock insert spinning in the oil pan. Do I need to pull the engine?

Post by NorthSouth » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:48 pm

-
So, ...I was trying to remove the aftermarket 'Sight Gage' glass tube thingamajig from the lower petcock port on my oil pan so that I could replace it with a beautiful brass Ford petcock that Original Smith gave me. A simple enough job, so I thought. To make a long story short, it didn't come out. What happened instead was the oil pan's female thread insert just turns around and around like congress trying to make a decision.

Would any of you seasoned Model T mechanics have any advice on how I should address this problem? I sure would be grateful for any direction you may offer. I'm hoping not to have to remove the engine.

-

1923Touring
First Name: Joshua
Last Name: Hawkins
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Touring
MTFCI Number: 24919
Board Member Since: 2019

Re: Petcock insert spinning in the oil pan. Do I need to pull the engine?

Post by 1923Touring » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:58 pm

I had nearly the exact same problem a month ago. The brass insert is probably stripped like mine was. Try pulling hard as you try to unthread the sight gauge and I bet it will come out.

Joshua

Stephen_heatherly
First Name: Stephen
Last Name: Heatherly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 coupe and 23 Runabout

Post by Stephen_heatherly » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:28 pm

Maybe you could braze the insert to the pan just enough to get the sight glass out. I would drain all of the oil out first though otherwise it may catch on fire inside the engine.
Stephen

jiminbartow
First Name: James
Last Name: Patrick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 50126
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by jiminbartow » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:54 pm

If you can get the threaded stem out, using Joshua’s suggestion (I would grab the stem with vice-grips and apply outward pressure with a pry bar against the nose of the pliers as the stem is turned counter-clockwise), you can drill and rethread the hole and install a threaded insert with the same female threads as the new brass stem. It has been 10 years since I rebuilt my engine so, I forget whether of not the petcock holes are reinforced and are thicker around the hole than the rest of the pan, but if the holes are not reinforced, the thickness of the pan may be so thin that care must be taken not to strip out the newly threaded hole by over-tightening the insert. I do know that the petcock threads are very fine and are notorious for stripping out and leaking oil around the petcock. If there is no steel reinforcement around the hole and you are faced with a very thin area around the hole to thread, this can be remedied by using a tapered punch to fold in the edges of the hole so that the folded in edges can be threaded to match the male threads of the insert. Be careful not to enlarge the hole too much with the tapered punch. The insert should also have a collar so that the collar seats against the pan and cannot accidentally enter the pan. Don’t use an overly long punch or you can damage the magnets. Jim Patrick

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:43 am

Some pans have a separate piece fitted to accept the petcock. If the petcock is turning, that piece is turning in the pan. One zot with a mig welder should hold it enough to be able to screw the tap out. It can then be soldered in the pan to seal it.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Topic author
NorthSouth
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Touring, 1912 Warren Speedster

Post by NorthSouth » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:27 pm

-
Here's a picture. This Forum will not allow me to post a video of the insert spinning around as I turn the brass fitting counterclockwise.
Attachments
SightGage adapter fitting in lower petcock port.
SightGage adapter fitting in lower petcock port.

Topic author
NorthSouth

Post by NorthSouth » Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:54 pm

-
I went with the "Romona T.B." temporary-permanent fix. High temp gasket silicone. So far it's not leaking. I will fill the oil pan up to the upper petcock until such time I need to pull the engine for other reasons. Thank you all for your generous guidance.
-
Attachments
20200805_145331.jpg

Adam
First Name: Adam
Last Name: Doleshal
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘13 Touring, ‘24 Touring, ‘25 TT dump truck, ‘26 Tudor, ‘20 Theiman harvester T powerplant, ‘20 T Staude tractor
MTFCA Number: 23809
MTFCI Number: 1
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by Adam » Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:19 am

These were inserts that were swedged and brazed until sometime in the mid teens. Then they were inserts that were swedged and NOT brazed for a few more years. Then they were changed simply to a hole that was punched inwards and the “bent in” steel hole was threaded.

The one you have is the “un-brazed” insert. There really isn’t anything you can do with it other than the temporary repair you just made. If it spins, it will leak. Levering around on it or fooling around trying to “fix” it from the outside could make it fail altogether, so you probably did do the best thing.

Every time I work on that style pan, I braze them in place from the inside.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic