New to Forum and Model Ts

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
lirogo27
First Name: Lisa
Last Name: Goldberg
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Bought my first T - a 1926 T Coupe - in March 2022!

New to Forum and Model Ts

Post by lirogo27 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:36 pm

Good Afternoon. I joined MTFCA approximately one year ago. The folks in charge have been fabulous. I started attending a nearby club's get togethers (I say get togethers as there have been some informal gatherings but the first post COVID meeting and mechanical workshop is this coming week) and begun researching Model Ts in the hopes to purchase one - MY FIRST - in the coming months. The local Model T guys have been so great.

You all are experienced owners....any advice on learning about the car, things to read and so forth is greatly welcome. Further, do you have a model year that you prefer. What do you look for when you are buying a T? (Besides a Ruckstell and Rocky Mt Brakes). Thanks in advance. Stay safe and healthy out there. Lisa.

George House
First Name: George
Last Name: House
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘10 Maxwell AA, ‘11Hupp Model 20, Two 1914 Ford runabouts, 19 centerdoor, 25 C Cab,26 roadster
MTFCA Number: 115
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 1999

Re: New to Forum and Model Ts

Post by George House » Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:08 pm

Welcome to the worldwide club Lisa. I admire your thoughtful approach to Model T ownership. Learn about the various systems in a T and peculiar engineering as compared to other cars of the twenties. You’ll find plenty of good mentors in Southern California. Others on this site will give you more specifics.
I don’t know why I turned out this way. My parents were decent people 🤪

Topic author
lirogo27
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Bought my first T - a 1926 T Coupe - in March 2022!

Post by lirogo27 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:21 pm

Thank you George! Will do. I have the repair manual and will read that next up. Right now I am reading Bruce Mcalley's From Here to Obscurity....

And yes, the guys I have met from the Long Beach club have been very nice. I look forward to the mechanics get togethers.

Stay safe and Healthy! Lisa

RustyFords
First Name: Don
Last Name: Allen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50001

Post by RustyFords » Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:51 pm

Welcome Lisa. I’m three years into Model T ownership and chose to buy a completely worn out car with the intention of going through it to learn about it. I did just that but it’s probably not the best choice for everyone.

For people less crazy than me, I recommend buying the best running car you can afford and then start driving it. Any Model T will require repairs sooner or later no matter how good it is. So, buy the T you like the looks of the best (I like the humble black cars) and start using it.

You’ll have to repair it and maintain it and this will cause you to learn about it.

This group here will help you diagnose issues and offer advice on repairs and your nearby club will do the same.

Happy Model T’ing!!
1924 Touring

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:10 pm

Hi Lisa and welcome to world of Model T’s!
Yes Model T’s are unique cars. And at the same time you will be dealing with almost 100 year old technology.
Remember that a Model T won’t drive like a modern car or pickup.
They don’t have real brakes like the car you drive and speed away from a dead stop like todays cars do. And no power steering.
A Model T reminds us of a time when there wasn’t air conditioning in our homes or cars as we know of today.
I would purchase a running car in good shape to get you acquainted with a T. You can learn as you go about servicing and maintaining the car.
The club your aquatinted with will be glad to let you ride along in their T’s and probably will let you drive in a less congested area to see how it feels to drive a T.
Good luck and have fun along the way.

DHort
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hjortnaes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 20 touring
MTFCA Number: 28762
MTFCI Number: 22402

Post by DHort » Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:25 pm

Welcome Lisa

I see you are in California or I would give you a ride today.

You need to learn to drive first. That is not hard. You can learn that in about a half hour. Then you need to ride/drive a Speedster, a closed car, an open car, and a truck. That should be enough to tell you what you are most interested in. You could also try a brass car if you want.

If you have ever driven a motorcycle you already know about looking one block ahead at all times. Plan as though you have no brakes. If the light is green, slow down now so you only have to lightly use your brakes. Let the engine slow the car down.

Other than that, have a lot of fun. Find a mentor if possible. Attend group meetings and ride, ride, ride.

Topic author
lirogo27

Post by lirogo27 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:34 pm

Thank you Don and John. (Cute dog Don!). Yes I am a bit nervous about driving one. I know there are two speeds, three pedals and it is not a conventional auto. The guys from Long Beach offered to take me out in their respective cars and show me how they handle, feel and drive and it was great.I realize each car has a unique drive - likely based on their story/history. I also know there is no power steering, no A/C, No Apple Play, no radio...LOL. The driving process is certainly unique in the pedals, length of time braking and acceleration on the steering column. I thank you all for the advice and will take it. No need to call your car a HUMBLE one. It is the ICON. It is a car that started the world moving forward!

Topic author
lirogo27

Post by lirogo27 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:37 pm

David - a half an hour?! LOL. I am so nervous that I figured it would take a week or two. And good suggestion, drive each type to figure out which is the one.....

No on a motorcycle - I never had one or drove one. But GREAT suggestion on how to plan out the movements around a 'one block at a time approach'. I actually think I will steal that from you and make that my standard practice. And how to let the car do most of the action.

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:53 pm

Take your time while deciding which Model T to buy. Most models are not rare. When you decide what you are looking for, try to find one with a good body, unless you are good at body work. The mechanical parts can be rebuilt or repaired, but the body is much harder to restore. Not only is there paint, but all T's except the 26-27 have a wood shell on which the sheet metal parts are fastened. When the wood rots or has termites, the whole body must be disassembled and the wood replaced first, then the sheet metal. Most engines and mechanical parts are interchangeable. If you want to be more exacting, you must find parts for the same year the car was originally manufactured. Otherwise, just find parts which are in good condition to make it run. This of course depends on whether you are going to use your car for show or as a driver. A show car must have very little wear and be more exactly restored to be a winner. But a driver can be in any condition as long as it runs well. Most people who see a Model T have no idea what year it is or even what make it is, because almost everyone today is younger than our cars. So you will find a lot of interest in your car when you have it out even if it is not a "show car".
When you decide what year or range of years, and what body style you would like, check out the cars for sale on this website or on your local club site. Usually, you will find a better car from a member, or a member's family than you will find otherwise. Take along with you someone who is knowledgeable in Model T's and can point out good and bad things about the cars you look at. When you find one which looks good and runs good for a reasonable price, then buy it.
Welcome to the club.
Norm

FordFool
First Name: Don
Last Name: Kirtley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 and 16 touring, 18 and 20 coup, 20 tudor
MTFCA Number: 23703
MTFCI Number: 23153
Board Member Since: 2009

Post by FordFool » Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:08 pm

Lisa Joining the LBMTC was good move. The members are some of the most helpful people around. All you have to do is just ask any one of them for help and you’ll get it. Have fun. Don

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:22 pm

Lisa,
The only other advice I can offer depends on your family situation. Roadsters and coupes are fine if there is just you and one other to share the ride. If you have family/kids to transport, a 4/5 seater is much more friendly.

Allan from down under.

Topic author
lirogo27

Post by lirogo27 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:40 pm

Norman, Don, Allan from Down Under,

Thank you. Will do all of the above. The Long Beach guys have been nothing short of spectacular. I don't do body work or repairs but will start attending the garage classes they will start having again this week.

Yes, The guys have all offered to go with me to see a car I isolate. That just is so lovely of them.

Which models? - Interested in Touring or the later Dr.'s Coupe. But Will likely go with Touring. I have been in a 1914 and 1915 Touring and a 1924 Touring. And I think a Pick up.

Right Now I am open minded...

Topic author
lirogo27

Post by lirogo27 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:48 pm

The mystery area is how you know when the pricing is right......There are guides for antique/classic cars but the T is a little different....so hard to Know. Modifications for Ruckstell. Warford. Rocky Mountain brakes and so forth...Electric starter...

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:00 pm

As the saying goes, wecome to the affliction. Although you're in the prospecting stage I think some of the pages on my website may be of help. For inspiration there's E.B. White's FAREWELL, MY LOVELY, the subject of another recent discussion. http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG74.html

For practical advice there's Bob Coiro's buyers' guide http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG98.html and David Grant Stewart's price guide. http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG99.html

Whatever particular type of T you decide best fits your wants and needs, I agree that it's a good idea to buy the best example you can afford. It's practically guaranteed to cost less than fixing up a fixer-upper.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Darin Hull
First Name: Darin
Last Name: Hull
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 Model T
MTFCA Number: 29699
MTFCI Number: 25147
Board Member Since: 2010

Post by Darin Hull » Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:45 pm

In terms of experience on this forum, I’m extremely new; so, I’ll let you know some things from a new person’s perspective in the hobby.

First, go to your favorite search engine, type something like “MTFCA discussion forum,” and the topic of your question.... you’ll find 99% of your questions have been asked and answered several times over the last several years. Even if you find the answer, sometimes it’s still good to ask it because of the interaction you’ll develop with members of the forum.

Second, find the resources you need to do work and repair your T. These resources come in different forms such as Lang’s and Brassworks for parts, a member of this forum to repair your coils, and books like the service manual to read about repairs. There are some good videos on YouTube, by folks like Mitch Taylor, which details repairs or basics like driving. These are just a few of the many examples of resources out there for Ts.

Finally, listen and share. Listen/read a discussion about Ts even if it doesn’t apply to what you’re working on or where you’re at in the progress on your T. A discussion topic on changing transmission bands may not be something you have to think about today... but it will be something you will encounter in the future. Soak up all the knowledge you can in as diverse T topics as possible. And share your experience and where you are at in your journey... post pics of your repairs, or the first trip you take your T on, etc. It may encourage other folks and you will pick up guidance along the way.

Enjoy yourself,
Darin

Oldav8tor
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Juhl
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1917 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50297
MTFCI Number: 24810
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Oldav8tor » Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:24 am

Lisa,
So far you are doing everything right. You have also received some great advice from guys on the forum and have a wonderful resource in your club. I don't have much to add but will throw out a couple of points.

1.) Decide whether you want a "driver" or a show car. For a driver you should look at safety and reliability more than having everything "correct." For example, I have a 1917 Touring which I've totally rebuilt, adding a starter (I highly recommend) disc brakes and floating rear hubs. I also went to a 10 tooth pinion to help when all the seats are full or in hilly areas. I installed a Bergs radiator with a modern flat-tube core and have had no overheating problems. I also have demountable wheels (didn't come with a '17) which allows me to change a tire on the roadside in the event of a flat. Just a caution, Rocky Mountain brakes are period correct but don't work well in reverse.

2.) Open or closed - I have an open car. When it rains, I'll get wet. When it's cold, I better dress warmly....that said, I wouldn't have it any other way. If you want more protection from the elements I'd get a closed car.

3.) Trailering? If you plan to take your car to events more than a comfortable drive away you'll want a trailer. Then the question is open or closed, with closed trailers offering the most protection. If you have a closed car or want to leave the top up on an open one you will need a tall trailer (8 feet or so). I have a 7 foot closed trailer so the top must be folded down and the windshield folded over before loading. I load and unload with a winch as T's can be squirrelly, especially when backing out. Model T's aren't really heavy but you'll still need a vehicle capable of pulling your loaded trailer.

Once you decide what you want to do with your Model T then you'll be able to narrow your choices. The advice of Don's to buy the best-running car you can find is very good, especially if the seller can give you a maintenance history on the vehicle (not to mention a valid title.) DO take along a knowledgeable person to look at any prospects as there are many pitfalls waiting for the newbie looking to buy their first car.
Good luck and welcome to the hobby. We're a weird bunch but you'll never find more helpful and friendly people than those who love and maintain old Model T's.
Tim
What's a little rain???
What's a little rain???
1917 Touring
1946 Aeronca Champ
1952 Willys M38a1 Jeep (sold 2023)
1953 Ford Jubilee Tractor

Topic author
lirogo27

Post by lirogo27 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:32 pm

Tim, Darren, Steve!

Thank you...I will look at the links Steve sent. As for trailering - I wanted it for local driving. It is not something I plan to transport often - maybe for a repair should one be needed that can not be accomplished locally. I will start attending the Model T Garage classes in Long Beach next week so this will be my first EVER work on a car. I am looking forward to it. And that will tell me if i have the skill set to do my own repairs or not.

As for open or closed...I prefer open Tim, I am leaning Touring open, but I do like the Drs Coupes which appear enclosed. I agree on Safety. That is going to be the centerpiece of my concerns. A 100 year old car in today's world.... What I can do to make sure there is stability and safe driving options. I will look into the mechanical items (Tim mentioned). I would like to keep the car as period correct as possible so if some allow me to feel comfortable with the modifications I would consider it.

Thank you again everyone. You have given me a lot of genuinely helpful data. That is the silent reason I like the Ts.....you all are such great folks. And willing to impart wisdom without a chip or raised eyebrow. I do appreciate it. It is most kind of you.

Topic author
lirogo27

Post by lirogo27 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:49 pm

TIm

Just clarifying.....period correct to me is within the realm of the era, not necessarily the year. There is a flexible window in my head as to what that means. So demountable wheels for example, that to me is within the realm of the period even if it were not necessarily an available option for that particular. year.

So with safety concerns....yes there is more leeway as I want to make sure it is is just not a danger waiting to happen...

Oldav8tor

Post by Oldav8tor » Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:19 pm

You are correct - when I refer to the "period" I mean the years that the Model T was being produced or still in common use. If you read "Farewell my lovely" by E.B. White (which was posted recently) you'll see mentioned the huge number of aftermarket accessories available to personalize your Model T. Owners in that time commonly added improvements that were not available when their car was built. For example, demountable wheels first became available around 1919 and many owners of earlier Model T's were quick to adopt them.

If you want to be a purist you won't have anything on your car that wasn't on it when it left the factory. If that isn't your goal, there are many things you can do to enhance safety and reliability that aren't obvious except to someone very knowledgeable about Model T's. I get in a little trouble with mine because the disc brakes are very visible. Depending upon who asks, I either tell them Henry was before his time or explain that it is a modern safety upgrade :lol:
Tim
Attachments
IMG_1402.jpg
1917 Touring
1946 Aeronca Champ

Topic author
lirogo27

Post by lirogo27 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:03 pm

LOL! I am not sure I would do disc brakes but we will see!!!! Never say never. Yes, later today I will be printing each article sent to me and will read them all. I am so happy you sent them. Thank you so very much. It means a LOT. It is these things that I appreciate so very much as I had not seen/found them to date. I also like your brake light.

Yes on demountable. I am reading McCalley's book right now and it appears they came to be sometime around 1919-21.

I don't anticipate the car being driven anywhere significantly lengthy.....It is more for enjoyment. The guys in the clubs seem to have some times categorized....100 mile limits. 200 mile limits and so forth. Mine would be more along the lines of the former. Your car looks to be a labor of love. Go Michigan.

DLodge
First Name: Dick
Last Name: Lodge
MTFCA Number: 19659

Post by DLodge » Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:40 pm

lirogo27 wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:03 pm
I don't anticipate the car being driven anywhere significantly lengthy.....
Lisa, never say never. I bought my '24 Touring in 1996 and spent at least a week just driving around the block (right turns only the first few days). After a couple of weeks, I ventured to the County Library and back (about 3 miles each way). I felt like I had gone to the moon. Fast forward seven years to 2003 and the Ford Motor Company Centennial in Dearborn, Michigan. Seven Model Ts from St. Louis (inlcuding mine) drove to Dearborn and back (state and county roads) - three days up and three days back. Perspectives change.... :D

DBalongtheroad.jpg
DBAuburnRain.jpg
DBDearbornSign.jpg

Oldav8tor

Post by Oldav8tor » Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:45 pm

Dick is correct....never say never. My motto is “have trailer will travel.” A Model T tour is a great place to see new country (at a modest pace) and meet new people.

Thanks for your comment about my tail light. I didn’t mention that I’ve installed LED bulbs in my headlights and all the oil lamps. I even have a brake light! In my opinion, a good safety compromise.
1917 Touring
1946 Aeronca Champ

Hap_Tucker
First Name: Hap
Last Name: Tucker
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 cut off touring; 1918 touring; 1922 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 100

Post by Hap_Tucker » Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:54 pm

Lisa,

Lot's of great advice already posted. I did not see anyone mention tailoring the type of car to the area and conditions you will be wanting to drive in the most.

A mostly stock T can easily take you long distances -- but much slower than today's cars and you will normally want to use the the back roads, avoid the rush hours etc. when you go through towns. And you locations shows you are in the Los Angeles valley area. I don't know how many back roads you have access to? But with a purely original like stock T -- I believe it would be unsafe and unwise to ever get on the freeway with the T (escorted convoy by the police -- maybe -- otherwise no thanks). Also if you want to take your car up one of the mountains that is another issue as well as coming down again.

A slightly modified T (high compression head, Stipe camshaft, maybe a bigger carburetor etc. ) gives you increased drivability over the purely stock 20 to 22 horsepower car of the same weight. But remember you only have two wheel braking on the back wheels -- even with the disc brake set up etc.) A light body (fewer people, roadster or touging body rather than Fordor etc. also helps driveability. ) The Model T Ford Club of America Tulsa Chapter has an excellent Technical page with articles at: https://mtfctulsa.com/Tech/index.htm that covers both stock engine performance and modified engine performance. [For example they have tested and found: "Weight is very important. We estimate that for every 150 to 200 pounds the weight is reduced, the maximum percent grade will increase by about one percentage point. It doesn’t matter where the weight reduction comes from. Reduced passenger weight, less luggage, fewer spare parts all work just as well as removing weight from the car."

A more aggressively modified Model T can actually run legally and safely on the Los Angeles freeway. Below is a picture of Ralph – Ricks (R.I.P.) -- who had a period overhead valve setup, 1920's four cylinder Chevy crankshaft, Metropolitan (aka Nash/Rambler import) four wheel hydraulic brakes and other modifications to his Model T. And he drove it a lot (including in at least one of the Great Race events when that chassis had a speedster body instead of the pickup truck).
207407.jpg
And in general, I like additional seats. Even when I am giving rides to folks in the neighborhood etc. my speedster only seats 2 but the touring can take 5 of us comfortably.

Finally, you will want a dry garage to keep it in. That can sometimes be an issue – as the cost of having a garage in New York City is often prohibitive – at least for average folks. I don’t know how your garage situation is in the Los Angeles area.

I think you will find a good T to meet your expectations. Continue your research – and as recommended above drive several types.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Norman Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:59 pm

Darrin mentioned parts sources. He lives on the east coast. Here in Southern California we have Chaffins Garage in Corona, not far from where you live and also Lucas Tire in Long Beach. The Brassworks is in San Luis Obispo and The Rocky Mountain Brake Co is in Temecula. So we have quite a few good reliable sources of parts right within driving distance of Southern Ca.
There are (except during COVID) several good swap meets. One is in Long Beach, and another in Orange County and one in Riversilde and a very good one in Bakersfield. Unfortunately, most of them have been cancelled this unusual year.
Norm

Topic author
lirogo27

Post by lirogo27 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:28 pm

Guys. You are just incredible. Thank you.

Dick, You are right. I shouldn’t ever say never. Let me just take it one day at a time!!! Who knows. Maybe someday I will.

Tim - the light next to the plate is the tail light right? Brake light would be much higher up. If so i absolutely love the tail light.

Hap - I am in Studio city, an area in the San fernando Valley. Just over Laurel Canyon from Hollywood. I don’t believe I would drive the car on the freeway. It would be surface streets. Actually, I thought that the car was not allowed on the freeway as my assumption was you had to at least meet the minimum speed limit but I believe the Long Beach guys told me you could indeed drive the T on the freeway. I don’t see that happening with me…but again, I guess I should never say never. My goal is a surface street car. MAYBE Laurel Canyon, Coldwater Canyon or Sepulveda but that would be after I really was comfortable with the car.

The modifcation references I will also research. Some of what you noted I understood. The majority I didn’t. I will do some reading and ask the Long Beach club to point out on their T what your modifications would do and where they would be. I think visualizing will help. For such a simple car, there are so many parts, options and modifications. This is step 10….I am on Step 1.5!!!! LOL

Also, Thank you for the references and links to read. The more the better. You can never have enough!!!!

On garaging….I agree completely. I have a house. While it has a single car garage, the T would go in the garage over my Subaru….you gotta respect your elders…my subaru understands…well, it doesn’t know yet. But a 100 year old car gets the rock star privileges.

Norman - yes I have heard there are a few places in this area so that is also a bonus.It will be incredibly advantageous. On the meets - yes, I think COVID will have those sidelined for awhile….but it gives me a bit more time to figure things out.

John Codman
Last Name: Codman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Youring

Post by John Codman » Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:58 am

I would not drive my T on a freeway - ever. You will find that a T likes a cruise speed of about 35 MPH. That is just too slow for a California freeway. The T will go faster, but at the expense of abusing a factory engine. I would look for an open car for my first T. The open car is a bit lighter, and has better parade potential then a closed car. I might well buy a closed car for my second T. If you are planning a restoration, pretty much any T that runs and drives is a good start; if you want a "driver" and don't plan a total restoration, purchase the best T that you can afford. Have someone knowledgeable look it over with you. I have yet to see a driver T that didn't need something. Sometimes those somethings can be time-consuming and expensive. Try to get a grasp of which parts are available and which are made of unobtanium. Most of all, Have fun! Welcome to the affliction.

Norman Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:22 am

There are many places you can go without using a freeway! A few years ago we had a national tour in Riverside. One day we drove from Riverside down to Knot's Berry Farm for lunch and then back to Riverside without using a freeway. Another day we drove down to Old Town Temecula without a freeway. Each day for a week we would go somewhere without using a freeway!
On other tours, we did some short distances on Highway 101 up in the area of Buelton and Solvang. In that area the traffic was light and we just went a mile or two in the right lane. And in Arizona we did a short distance on Interstate 8 around Tucson also in right lane for a short distance. And on the Golden Gate tour the cars drove across the bridge between San Rafael and San Francisco. It was done during the middle of the day on a weekday when traffic is lightest. In San Diego, we sometimes drive across the Coronado Bridge. In that case we enter at the last ramp before the bridge and in Coronado the bridge terminates on a surface street. Anyway, the tour director of each club plans the best route and minimizes driving on freeways.
Norm

Oldav8tor

Post by Oldav8tor » Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:43 am

Lisa,
I like your enthusiasm and the obvious intelligence you are putting into researching your choice of a Model T. I agree with others....A T is not suitable for freeways. The only exception might be on an organized tour with other Model T's and then only for a short distance. If a modern car piles into a Model T the T will be the big loser.

My tail lamp is the standard light found on many Model T's from the pre-starter days. It is designed for kerosene so you have to remove the wick unit to put the bulb in. I was able to install the LED's with only minor, invisible modifications to the lamp.

Such lamps have a red lens to the rear and a clear lens to illuminate the license plate. I found a LED that had three sets of bulbs - white near the rear for the license plate and two groups of red for the running light and the brake light. When the lights are on the rear lamp shows red to the rear and white towards the plate. When you press on the brake the intensity of the red doubles. The brake light works whenever the pedal is pressed. I should point out that I have a 12 volt electrical system including a modern, 12 volt starter. I hide the battery under the rear seat and recharge it periodically as I have no generator. I assume similar LED bulbs are available for 6 volts but haven't done the research. I've put together a photo montage showing the running light (left) brake light (right) and side light with an amber LED installed. I have not installed any kind of turn signals although some guys do.
Lamps.jpg
One thing I do when traveling on roads that see a mix of traffic is attach a magnetic LED flasher to the back of my car. It is very bright and can be seen from quite a ways off. Since I'm traveling at half the speed of the approaching traffic I want to get their attention. We have Amish in our area and every year or so there is a terrible accident where a car plows into a buggy. The car drivers just aren't paying attention until it's too late to stop.
flasher.jpg
Regarding your garage - measure the height of the door. Model T's sit a lot higher than modern cars and may not clear the garage opening without lowering the windshield or putting down the top. Coupes and other solid top cars might not clear at all.
1917 Touring
1946 Aeronca Champ

John Codman
Last Name: Codman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Youring

Post by John Codman » Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:54 pm

I agree with oldaviator (I too could use that handle, having flown GA for 44 years ending in 2015). I also have a magnetic flasher stuck to the rear of my T - in fact, I use two of them. The one thing that I worry about when driving my T is being rear-ended by someone going 25 mph faster then I am. As was said earlier, if you get into a significant accident in your T, you lose. I try very hard to avoid really busy roads (hard to do here in sunny SW Florida).
Fortunately, off rush hour, there are roads that meet my standards here, but T driving was better in New England.

Topic author
lirogo27

Post by lirogo27 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:26 pm

John, Norma, and Tim,

Thank you. I am making note on all this. I will not drive my t on the freeway. Not going to happen. Will all be surface streets.

On The Amish, I went to school in Pennsylvania so I remember those days! No Amish here in Hollywood area so I am luckily not going to come across a buggy.

I will keep my eyes on flasher options similar to you boys and also I will work on the lamp mod issues when the time comes. The battery generator questions are also something I need to think on. But who knows...a car that has all those might present itself.

The garage - I will measure. My cross Trek fits in there now, but a T is indeed taller. with higher ground clearance. Good suggestion and I am making another suggestion NOTE! LOL. See you guys are giving me a lot to work with...

Oldav8tor

Post by Oldav8tor » Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:58 am

Pennsylvania to Studio City....I sense a story there.

I hope we aren't overloading you with too much information but as Kelly Bundy said, "To be forewarned is to have four arms..." (Obscure Married With Children reference typical of a babbling old guy.)

Part of the fun is the research...followed by the fun of actual ownership and the social opportunities that come with it. A Model T is like a time machine... It will do more than simply transport you down the street...it lets you experience what folks a century ago did and in some ways calms the soul....

The attached photo shows my dad, uncle and grandparents in their first car, a 1917 Touring. They're all long gone but I feel them when I drive my (you guessed it) 1917 Touring ;)
Flivver_17or18.jpg
1917 Touring
1946 Aeronca Champ

Topic author
lirogo27

Post by lirogo27 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:01 am

Tim

Lol. Actually I am from Massachusetts. Went to school in PA and moved to CA for a job.

Love the family picture. And yes, one of the reasons the T interests me is that it is truly the car that started it all. It definitely transports to a different world.

Not at all overwhelmed. Well, I like as much info as possible. And you all are pointing so many things out I never knew or thought about. I thank you so much for it! Yes there is more than I knew existed but this is good. I appreciate it!!!

david_dewey
First Name: David
Last Name: Dewey
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 touring, 1925 runaboaut, 1926 Tudor
MTFCI Number: 19936

Post by david_dewey » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:34 pm

This discussion of Ts and freeways reminded me of my college days in LA, fall of 1971 to be exact. Our Marine Biology class went on a field trip to some tide pools, and three of us rode with our professor in her Citroen 2CV. For those of you who don't know about it, it looks like a VW made with flat sides and is powered by a small engine (two cylinder I think?). We were "zooming" down the freeway going flat out when we were pulled over by a CHP who informed us that we were going too slow to be on the freeway!
T'ake care,
David Dewey

John bevardos
Last Name: bevardos
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Roadster, Coupe, pickup truck, 2-door

Post by John bevardos » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:40 pm

Hi Lisa ,
been owning T's for about 30yrs now . I live in West Hills. If you need some pointers or help with anything, send me a message .

John

DLodge

Post by DLodge » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:46 pm

david_dewey wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:34 pm
...in her Citroen 2CV. For those of you who don't know about it, it looks like a VW made with flat sides and is powered by a small engine (two cylinder I think?). We were "zooming" down the freeway going flat out when we were pulled over by a CHP who informed us that we were going too slow to be on the freeway!
Yes, two cylinder.

This was mine when I lived in Paris in 1968.

eend parijs 68.jpg

Topic author
lirogo27

Post by lirogo27 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:00 pm

John, DIck, David,

John - I will likely take you up on it!

Dick and David - exactly. Freeway not a good idea....I forgot about the citroen.

nicklm
First Name: Nick
Last Name: Miller
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 touring
MTFCA Number: 31031
MTFCI Number: 18935

Post by nicklm » Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:28 pm

Lisa,
Your discussion has brought back many memories. My first car was a 1931 Model A, roadster in Conn. I finished high school and then college in Vermont and drove it to Calif. There in San Fernando, I found a 1926 touring and bought it. Having experience with 4 cylinder Model A, I thought this could not be a difficult transition and I was sure I could do it. I bought the car off of Sepulveda in 1960 after my father came to give his advise. The day he saw it (not exactly happy and suggested he could give me a Hudson to drive), I said it was easier to fix the T and drive to college in Van Nuys. Borrowed the money, $400. from the local bank. Paid for the car and got in to drive it home. Drove out of the subdivision onto Sepulveda and the choke spring was tired enough and broke, flooded the carburetor, stalled in the second lane. Put my foot on the running board to get out when I was introduced to a 1957 Studebaker Golden Hawk meeting my car. The car ran into the back of the T. The jolt lifted the back of the T and started the T to run. I was able to drive it over to the curb. Unfortunately the Studebaker had to be taken away with a tow truck. The T drove home even with a broken axle housing. The accident paid for the doctor visit and paid off the car loan. I don't suggest this plan but you really need to be aware of any possibilities.

We still have the car and it has been frame up restored. Not professionally done but looks good in Fawn Gray with black fenders and top. It has been invited to many weddings and few funerals. Lots of club events happen here in FL. The car resides in a beach community and the speed limits here are 35. Perfect for our car. We do most all of the mechanical work that time allows but recently had the motor rebuilt by a local club member. All has been great dealing with members and local and national T organizations. Rely on the local members for any and all advise. Most of them have been there and done that. Where ever you go there will be a car show. Don't be in a hurry to jump into a car until learning to drive one and even more important learning to stop one. The first thing I teach anyone wanting to drive a T is how to stop. Making it go is second. All is good even the repair sessions.

I miss Calif. but found FL a good second and a lot less expensive.
Nick

VowellArt
First Name: Martynn
Last Name: Vowell
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Touring, th "Lady"
MTFCA Number: 9908
Board Member Since: 2012

Post by VowellArt » Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:05 am

Lisa, You're going to Long Beach? Long drive, did that too myself for a while until I found that the San Fernando Valley Chapter was still in existence (and a hell of a lot closer too). I drive my car out to Long Beach for their Swap Meet. Didn't need the freeway at all, just took Sepulveda Blvd the whole way (past Redondo Beach it turns into Willow). And I took the same road back home, was a nice fun little drive of somewhere over a hundred miles (140 I think, don't have an odometer, so I'm only guessing).

AtLongBeachSwapMeet.jpg
My wife Jodi in the back seat of the car, resting after we took one walk round the Meet (me I went back and looked around some more).

You don't need to take a freeway anywhere, if you know the back roads and are in no particular hurry to get anywhere either. You could even get to Solvang if you take old HWY 118 (not the freeway) which is at the west end of Semi Valley off Los Angeles Ave. and ends in Ventura, from there you take PCH 1 to Goeta, from there it is back roads and pretty countryside and even have to ford a stream that runs year round (water was up to the bottom of my hubs, the car ran as though it didn't notice the water at all).

The SFV Chapter is alive and well (and a lot closer than Long Beach ;) ).
Fun never quits!

Topic author
lirogo27

Post by lirogo27 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:26 pm

Nick, that is a GREAT STORY. And yes i agree. Stopping will be my primary learning requirement. Driving second. I have already been warned the T will take some time to stop. And that you have to anticipate. It is a long slow process once you start to brake. I am looking forward to learning. Taking it on Sepulveda is big girl stuff for me. I have a long way to go before I even try it.

Martynn , The SFO chapter is not active to my knowledge. They have talked about it I believe. 6 months ago I did speak briefly with a man named Richard from that chapter. They did not seem 'encouraging'. The guys in Long Beach have been nothing short of wonderful, encouraging, helpful, willing to assist and very nice. Yes it is a haul, but the guys make it worth it.

They understand i have never had a classic before or a T. Never done a repair. Nothing. If they have judged me, they haven't said anything. I won't be a repair wonk. Or an encyclopedia of all things T. All I ask is that they give me a chance...and they are. I will attend as much as i can. I will go to their saturday garage sessions....and see how it goes.

Steve Jelf

Post by Steve Jelf » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:38 pm

The good part of taking Sepulveda Boulevard over the pass is tooting your horn in the tunnel. :D
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

VowellArt

Post by VowellArt » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:01 pm

Steve, that's a Derrick Pang thing, he does that everywhere there is tunnel no matter how long it is, hell, he'll even do an over pass. The only time I mash down on the old hand klaxon is where some bonehead does something stupid in front or to either side of me....then he gets the " belay/shear off" horn. :lol:
Fun never quits!

VowellArt

Post by VowellArt » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:15 pm

Lisa I'm a member of the San Fernando Valley Chapter...this Covid nonsense has put a kibosh on things a bit, but we're still here and just last month Gary Hendrickson, Richard Arroyo and myself went and looked at a new fellows 23 Runabout. But, we're still here, you can't expect the founding chapter of the MTFCA to be totally gone ya know, we're still here, still doing stuff. Give Richard Arroyo a call, he's the current president of the SFV...I'll PM his number to you. ;)
Fun never quits!

Topic author
lirogo27

Post by lirogo27 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:54 pm

Steve! That tunnel is so broken down and dilapidated. I hold my breath each time I drive through it! Any horn blast will likely cause enough vibration to bring the darn thing down! Lol. Serious.
Last edited by lirogo27 on Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
lirogo27

Post by lirogo27 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:04 pm

Martynn,

Richard Arroyo Is who I spoke w last year. It didn’t sound like there was activity. I had heard they were trying to get going again but not yet. He referred me to someone else to chat with which didn’t offer much guidance. I am good right now w the LB guys. They don’t mind my being the newbie round peg in a square hole. If SFV really has activity at some point maybe. Thanks!!!

VowellArt

Post by VowellArt » Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:43 am

Lisa, I remember Richard announcing your inquiry, I would've loved meeting up with, but Gary is who Richard assigned. Gary is no slouch when it comes to all things T, he's very knowledgeable and has kept that old 1915 of his he affectionately names "Patina" (fancy word for rust) going and drives it everywhere (and it's been in more movies and TV shows than just about any other Model T around), he also has a nicely restored 1915, that I suppose he was intending to use to show you how to drive one with.

I know the guys at LBMTC are really great guys and I know them all and their garage they hold every Saturday over by the Church they meet in will have all sorts of expertise on Model T there ready to help and or teach. It's just a really long drive, I've toyed with the idea more than once of driving my car to their garage, but I'd have to start pretty damned early to get there when they start, not really a problem, just haven't found one of those blasted round-2-its yet. :lol:
Fun never quits!

George N Lake Ozark
First Name: George P
Last Name: Clipner
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Late '26 Touring
MTFCI Number: 18665

Post by George N Lake Ozark » Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:40 am

Dick , Thanks for sharing those pictures from the Centennial trip. Two of those pics had my dad in them. And as far as the Sepulveda Pass Tunnel is concerned I always blew the horn through it on many trips from Culver City to Martyn’s house.

DLodge

Post by DLodge » Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:52 am

George N Lake Ozark wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:40 am
...Two of those pics had my dad in them.
The one stopped along the road and the one arriving in Dearborn. As I recall, your dad and Les Flautt were the two oldest participants in the trip. I think they were both 78, but not sure which was older. We thought it was pretty impressive that they were so old, but I suspect that I am older now than either of them was in 2003! :D

Hap_Tucker
First Name: Hap
Last Name: Tucker
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 cut off touring; 1918 touring; 1922 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 100

Post by Hap_Tucker » Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:57 pm

Dick,
DLodge wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:52 am

As I recall, your dad and Les Flautt were the two oldest participants in the trip. I think they were both 78, but not sure which was older. We thought it was pretty impressive that they were so old, but I suspect that I am older now than either of them was in 2003! :D
You aren't old! And they weren't old either. We are all just more mature than we were last year....

Lisa -- 2028 will be the 125 anniversary of the Ford Motor Company -- you will have plenty of time to find your T and get comfortable driving it. And you might even help organize another anniversary trip?

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Topic author
lirogo27

Post by lirogo27 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:29 pm

Martynn. I do remember talking to Gary (I just could not remember his name). We talked more about his cars being in movies and high wheels. I didn't get the impression that he was open to getting together. I asked about 4 or 5 times during the discussion. I could be wrong but that was my take. I never heard anything from anyone again - Gary or Richard. If I recall correctly, Gary did not have a computer? So it was in person or on phone...only options for him.

SFV club - My impression was that there were 6 or so SFV guys that got together and met but I am not sure - at that time - that you folks were formally meeting. I am not complaining or critiquing...just stating what I recall. I had heard the Long Beach guys were more active than SFV. And they had the garage clinic. If the SFV club is indeed active, sure I would attend, but - as I have said and absolutely mean - the LB guys have been nothing short of awesome. Willing to teach, explain, dissect. I have nothing bad to say about any that i have met so far. I have a ton of respect for them and have enjoyed learning from them. Yes it is a drive, but sometimes driving is worth it. That would be my main club.

I will check on line to see if any meetings are scheduled for SFV Club. Thanks again!

Topic author
lirogo27

Post by lirogo27 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:31 pm

Dick, Hap and George, You seem to all know each other for many years!? That is great!!!!

DLodge

Post by DLodge » Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:22 pm

lirogo27 wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:31 pm
Dick, Hap and George, You seem to all know each other for many years!? That is great!!!!
Lisa, I have never met Hap in person, but after a while people with whom we interact frequently on the forum begin to seem like people we know. George I know because his dad (who lived in Missouri) joined us for the Dearborn trip. Later, George moved from California to Missouri and we have been on several tours together. Cameraderie is cameraderie, whether it's in person or on line.... :D

VowellArt

Post by VowellArt » Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:17 pm

Lisa, you're correct about Gary, he's not on-line, really, but he does have a tablet I think (a recent purchase I believe), whether he knows how to use it or not, is anybodies guess. Phoning Gary is fruitless, unless you call around 2 pm and then you're more likely to get his machine than him, but then he is a busy guy, sooooo.... :roll:

Anyhoo, if you're interested in that 1915 Runabout of Bob Ivett's, better hurry and make a decision, because Gary just might jump on it like a Duck on a June bug...in August ;) . Not trying to rush you or anything, just giving you a heads up is all...Gary is one of the largest buyers of Model T and other antique cars around here for movie work....he sort of reminds me of Chris Esgaardt in that regard (aka Billy Poohbah) who also had more Model T's in his barn in Reseda than anybody knew (in pieces), he was also a member of the SFV and the Long Beach club (used to ride his 10 speed bike to Long Beach's meeting and when the meeting was over he'd ride it right back again to Reseda that night) He also had a really nice (at least I thought so) 1927 Buick Master 6 for sale when I was in High School...almost bought it too, until somebody told me not to. Floyd Clymer had all sorts of scrapbooks on old cars, he told me not to buy it! He knew the guy who owned it and if I really wanted an antique car, buy a Model T Ford, because they are simple and the parts are plentiful...he was right. Model T Fords are simple to fix, easy to learn to drive and the parts are plentiful...more so now because a lot of them are being made to actual Ford drawings and spec's here in the US, then they were in the 1960's or when I started on my car in 1979. Which is what I'm telling you now also...Model T Fords are cheap (comparatively) to other antiques and their parts are plentiful (also comparatively) to other antiques out there. They are a ton of fun to drive, maintain and where ever you go you're a one person car show...Welcome to the affliction. ;)
Fun never quits!

Steve Jelf

Post by Steve Jelf » Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:38 pm

78 is not old. But 79 is pretty close to it. :)
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Topic author
lirogo27

Post by lirogo27 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:44 pm

LOL.Steve!

Martynn, Yes that was the other problem...trying to reach Gary on the phone. And yes, you were right on the difficulty and timing throughout the day. So I just threw my hands up. I will see about reaching out to Richard again.

On the tablet - if he has one....it is new. He did not have it last fall. I wish he would have been willing to get together. for coffee to chat about cars...but he didn't seem interested

DHort
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hjortnaes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 20 touring
MTFCA Number: 28762
MTFCI Number: 22402

Post by DHort » Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:52 pm

Lisa

Sounds like Hap would like you to put together a trip from California to Richmond. 2028 is only 8 years away. Lincoln Highway will get you there if you have a speedster. Dave Coleman drove Nathan's speedster across the country on the Lincoln Highway and his passenger wrote a book about it. Might be helpful. ..............Hap's ride will be a bit shorter.

DLodge

Post by DLodge » Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:06 am

Funny what the combination of a little persistence and a Sunday morning can do. I found the forum message in 2010 that included a link to the NPR program in 2003 about our trip:

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/sto ... Id=1298953

George Clipner Sr. and Les Flautt are both gone now, and Ken Meek died in a Model T accident in Minnesota. It's great to hear everyone's voice again.

In the same 2010 Forum, George Clipner Jr. posted a picture with this comment: "Here's a pic of my dad on his last tour, my second tour and my son, Tim's first tour, at the Hillbilly Club's tour at Cape Girardeau. I promised my dad that I would see that he made the Tour, one way or another. He's sitting on the fender."

clipner hillbilly.jpg

George N Lake Ozark
First Name: George P
Last Name: Clipner
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Late '26 Touring
MTFCI Number: 18665

Post by George N Lake Ozark » Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:21 pm

Thanks for the trip Dick. It was great hearing my dad's voice again. So I stole it(downloaded). My dad was so excited to go on that trip and my nephew went on it because I wasn't able to get away from work. He has a video log of the trip he took (my nephew) . Thanks again for posting Dick.

Craig Leach
First Name: craig
Last Name: leach
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1919 Firetruck/1922 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 26647

Post by Craig Leach » Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:04 pm

Hi Lisa,
My Name is Craig and I own model Ts. I have been afflicted for 13 years 7 months. And if it wasnt for the people in these groups I don't know were I would be today. Oops wrong meeting. I think you will find that model Ts are the icing on the cake the big part of this hobby is the people, they make this the best hobby of all. With that said there are some questions that you should ask when talking to Ters, just so you are aware of how you may be afflicted. Ask how many model Ts they have, do they have any free space in the garage and do they have any none T events planned? Seriously Wellcome aboard.

Topic author
lirogo27

Post by lirogo27 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:41 pm

LOL> Craig. Funny! I agree..the best part so far are the guys are all helpful. THANK YOU!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic